Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, i've unashamedly nicked the idea from a few other forums, but we could have a lot of fun with this.

Basically the idea is to post a photo of a foreigner who flopped in the Scottish top-flight, it's not as though we're short of options either. ;)

I'll start, probably with the most obvious one.

Tore Andre Flo, Rangers. £12m

Scottish Football's most expensive signing / mistake.

The guy actually had a decent goalscoring record for Rangers if you look at the stats, but it was always in the big matches (Old Firm and Europe) where he struggled to make his mark - which for the £12m fee you'd be expecting a lot more from at that level.

Prompting the Celtic fans, being the original comedic geniuses that we are, to label him "Tore Andre Flop". :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
If Flo hadn't had the £12 million price tag he'd have been ok.

If he had cost £4 million or less it would have been decent business...but of course he cost 8 million more than that so was pretty awful. Luckily we managed to recoup about half thanks to Sunderland!

Basile Boli. A world class defender, just won the European Cup with Marseilles and looked immense in the centre of defence in his first game for Rangers against Sampdoria (i think). Most Rangers fans at that game were convinced we had a great new captain figure on our hands, the rock to build the rest of the team upon. But after that a total flop

Partly because he had already won everything and no longer had the motivation - But mostly because of where he was played. He was never a right back, and had never played there - so what does Walter Smith do? He plays him at right back for a big chunk of the season. He was the sort of player the defence should have bee built around, not stuck like a square peg in a round hole...

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I was going to do this a couple of days ago, but thought it would be too much of a rip-off :D. A shorter thread would probably be SPL foreign successes.

Anyway, now that someone has had the brass neck to open this thread, i'll start with the obvious Celtic equivalent...

Good Brazilian's are hard to come by in Scotland, but this guy must be just about the worst. The Rangers fans, being the original comedic geniuses that we are, quickly labelled him Rafael Scheidt.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
To avoid the inevitable Old Firm domination of this thread here's an obscure one for you...

The player mad Ivan Golac reckoned was worth £20 million. And that was before the transfer market really went mad. Anyone recognise him without looking at the image tag? ;)

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
Basile Boli. A world class defender, just won the European Cup with Marseilles and looked immense in the centre of defence in his first game for Rangers against Sampdoria (i think). Most Rangers fans at that game were convinced we had a great new captain figure on our hands, the rock to build the rest of the team upon. But after that a total flop

Partly because he had already won everything and no longer had the motivation - But mostly because of where he was played. He was never a right back, and had never played there - so what does Walter Smith do? He plays him at right back for a big chunk of the season. He was the sort of player the defence should have bee built around, not stuck like a square peg in a round hole...
I hate him,Marco van Basten had to retire because of him.:mad:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Here's the start of a team:

In goal....
Didn't we pay a couple of million for this guy? (Jesper Christiansen if you were wondering) I doubt he played more than 10 games.

At right-back... Staale Stensaas. Such a Rangers legend that google don't even have a picture of him in a Rangers shirt.

One of a long list of players attempting to fill the role vacated by Gary Stevens. Right-back has been a problem position for over 10 years now!

At centre-back, Bert ****erman...

Doing what he did best in that picture.

I'll leave it to someone else to finish it off.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Angle_eyes said:
The Rangers fans, being the original comedic geniuses that we are, quickly labelled him Rafael Scheidt.
Haha, very good. :tongue:

As for the Dundee Utd player, isn't that Jerren Nixon (sp?)? So he does actually exist then, i always thought that guy was a mythical character.

Maybe we should leave the all-time SPL flops XI until everyone has had their say on who qualifies first though?

My latest submission.

Daniel Prodan, Rangers. £2.2m

Heralded as the latest world-class player who would be joining Rangers to assist in helping egomaniac David Murray realise his fantasy of conquering Europe at big-spending Rangers.

I don't even remember Prodan making a first-team appearance, as injury dogged his career throughout his time at Ibrox. Oh, and Rangers never quite conquered Europe either.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Dragan Mladenovic

"The Serbian Zidane" was the shout when this guy appeared. What happened to him?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts

Tassos Venetis (the one with the raised hand), formerly of Dundee United, currently a bench warmer in Greek second division.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
mincecfc said:

Dragan Mladenovic

"The Serbian Zidane" was the shout when this guy appeared. What happened to him?
Oh, no need for that. There is only one way to respond:

The Brazilian World Cup winner who was the only man big enough to take on Henrik Larsson's number 7 shirt. What happened to him? :happy:

As for others. Far too many to mention.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
A few years ago Aberdeen signed a couple of Bulgarians, one of which was Ilian Kiriakov. I can't remember much about him (nor can i find his picture) but he played for Bulgaria's world cup 94 side alongside Stoichkov and co, so i expected him to be quite good....he wasn't though :D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Kiriakov also played against Rangers for Levski Sofia. He was good then :sob:. The other one had a weirder name. Tsanko Tsvetanov or something? (what a memory I have :proud: )

Edit: Just realised I was talking shite. Kiriakov played against us for Anorthosis Famagusta, didn't he? He was good though.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
AMOROSO! said:

Tassos Venetis (the one with the raised hand), formerly of Dundee United, currently a bench warmer in Greek second division.
Tassos actually played for Ross County for a while. Generally he was absymal in the Scottish First Division, but he actually is a club hero despite only being at the club for 6 months or so. Reason? Inverness Caley 5 - 1 Ross County, Tassos grabbed a hat-trick I think :D

That was a cracker of a game, greatest County game I've ever seen.

Here's a flop most of you won't even know:

Cedric Anselin, used to play for Bordeaux & Norwich City, Neale Cooper brought him to Victoria Park where he was an abominal.

Yeah, I know the thread says SPL foreign flops but the SPHell is so dull ;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I remember Kiriakov too but don't remember the other one. I dug out a pic of him but couldn't find one with an Aberdeen top.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
I remember Kiriakov too but don't remember the other one. I dug out a pic of him but couldn't find one with an Aberdeen top.

:dielaugh: He did look like that!

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cam said:
Tassos actually played for Ross County for a while. Generally he was absymal in the Scottish First Division, but he actually is a club hero despite only being at the club for 6 months or so. Reason? Inverness Caley 5 - 1 Ross County, Tassos grabbed a hat-trick I think :D
Sorry but just out of interest, how did the guy manage to score a hat-trick for Ross County in a 5-1 defeat??

No wonder he's a club legend!! :D

·
Registered
461 Posts

Even seeing that makes me depressed. One of the biggest fuds to ever play for Rangers.

Edit - Ooops, sorry KH. Can you move this to the SPL duds thread? Don't know how I manged to post it here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts