Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Level points but Celtic with the 4 goal advantage. So ultimately if they win at Dundee United the title stays at Celtic Park for a third season- barring a complete goal fest up in Aberdeen. Considering our lack of goals that looks unlikely so instead we will have to try to win this match whatever happens by any means.

Incidently at this point in time it just goes to show how wrong the stereo types are. One team apparently plays a boring defensive game while the other side plays free flowing attractive football. Strange then that Celtic have conceded less goals than us this season and we have scored more goals than them.

Pittodrie is not a place we relish visiting. Our recent form up there is not great and our meetings always have an extra edge about them. For that reason there will be no questions over their commitment as they will want to win this one. The last thing in the world they would want is for Rangers to possibly win the title on their ground as we have done before so there will be an extra edge to their game. Mind you Jimmy Calderwood has laid down to us before so why not again? ;)

The one thing we must ensure up there is that we keep our discipline. Of late that has not been in check with players like Thomson, McCulloch, Adam, Cousin and Broadfoot all getting too involved. If we go down to 10 men then we will struggle as we found out earlier in the season when Lee McCulloch thought he was Bruce Lee for a moment. That cost us two points that do so we must ensure that does not happen again.

In this one we would actually be more suited to returning to the 4-5-1 as I don't foresee Aberdeen sitting back and do think they will have a right go at us. We played a 4-5-1 in the 1:1 draw up there earlier in the season and it was working well for us until we were reduced to 10 men. I think this is a game where we will need a bit of patience and to conserve the mental strength we have left. If we are patient and resilient then I think the goal will come but if we go gung-ho we could get caught out.

Aberdeen have been crap this season but in the big games they have looked a capable side. Their European run at home was especially good with the draws against Lokomotiv and Dniro followed by thumping Copenhagen and then drawing with Bayern Munich. At Ibrox though they have taken two thumpings- 3:1 and 3:0 repectively- and only have the point from the draw up there to show.

In the first half of the season they took a few leatherings from Celtic too with the biggest of those coming at Pittodrie in a 5:1 humping. Since then though they have tightened up with that cup draw at home and then the cup win at Celtic Park being followed by game they were cheated in the league. That is the Aberdeen side I expect us to face on Thursday as opposed to the Aberdeen side from earlier in the season.

Like Dundee United they have something to play for. If Celic beat Dundee United and Motherwell beat Hibs then a win for Aberdeen moves them up to 4th from 6th. According to Craig Levein today that is a difference of £150,000 which is a big incentive for the provincial clubs and it will probably tie in with the players' bonus at the end of the season.

By whatever means I just hope we get the win we require to ensure at the very least we finish the season level points with Celtic. If we do and that is not enough to win the title then so be it. We cannot control the goal difference now so let's just finish the league season with a win.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I hope McCulloch feels even worse looking back at the previous match at Pittodrie. I remember that match well and we were in the process of giving one of our best away performances of the season when he decided to lose the plot. We were still unlucky to only draw the match with 10 men, but it obviously doesn't matter now.

I can see us drawing this match. Especially if Celtic get a couple of early goals. That news would filter through to the players and heads would probably go down.

Where's Big Marv when you need him? ;)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
We would need to win 4-0 and hope Celtic only win 1-0 and I don't see that happening.
I'd settle for that :dielaugh:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Angle I think Rangers will draw too. I don't think the title will be decided on goal difference and think instead that one team is going to slip up on the final day. Like what happened in the Premiership I think it will be the team with the advantage that gets the 3 points and the other team who doesn't manage that.

I'm actually not that nervous about this match. It's a bit like helicopter Sunday in so much as you are sort of resigned to your fate without much hope of there being a shock. If Rangers still had it in their own hands then I'd be a bag of jitters by kick off.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'll be nervous by kick-off time. Surely they won't **** things up again, but I still have some hope left. Until they're 2-0 up, or we're 2-0 down :D

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
CMON RANGERS!!!!! :fero:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Oh well can't say that was unexpected.

It was a bit like the Motherwell game - i dont think we were all that bad up until about 60 minutes or so - certainly lacking a bit of creativity in the final third (for which Smith is responsible) - but in the final half hour we just seemed to run out of steam. Im usually a pretty harsh critic of the players- in 2005/6 and 2006/7 they cheated the fans and i'd have wanted most of them sacked - but i think today they have given their all and its just been a case of them not having anything left in the tank, in large part because of the fixture schedule in the final stage of the season.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
**** us. We don't deserve to win the league. I have no complaints. It's an absolute joke that we can't beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie. I don't even care if we win the Scottish Cup. Too many of our players aren't good enough. Celtic are shite, but we're worse.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
8 games in 21 days with some injuries ... no team can cope with that

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
**** us. We don't deserve to win the league. I have no complaints. It's an absolute joke that we can't beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie. I don't even care if we win the Scottish Cup. Too many of our players aren't good enough. Celtic are shite, but we're worse.
Agree with this. It was one game too many, sure, but at the end of the day, if you can't beat Aberdeen/Motherwell in the run in, you're asking for it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I don't even care if we win the Scottish Cup.
That's a shocking, shocking attitude to have. I actually fancy QOTS to cause you guys some bother so long as they don't bottle it anyway.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Celtic are shite, but we're worse.
Actually Angle, Celtic are Champions.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Yep, Celtic are champions of Scotland. Congratulations.

Obviously it was the drink talking when I said I didn't care about winning the Scottish Cup, but I stand by the rest of the post. The funny thing is it hasn't been that bad a season, but it's definitely been too much like watching Scotland play. If success in football was 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration we fell short because we didn't have that 1%, and that's what Walter has to sort out for next season.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
It is amazing how we were on our way to walking in to the title and then it all collapsed.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Haven't read anything about the team for the cup, but I know it'll be a really hard game for us. Novo is obviously suspended for his stupidity last night. What's quite scary is I remember Albertz getting suspended for the cup final in similar circumstances and we lost that cup final.

What chance have the players got to recover though? They'll still be hurting after last night and they're supposed to play the final in just over 24 hours. If they're fit then players like Broadfoot, McCulloch, and Hemdani must have a chance of coming into the team.

On last night's match, i've been saying for a while that Cousin is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed near the team, and that's a mistake by Walter as far as i'm concerned. Charlie Adam was an absolute joke again. I also thought it was a bit shite to send John Fleck on in those circumstances. What's the kid expected to do?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Obviously I didn't watch your game last night, but just out of interest how did you play? Did you play well and just get caught? Or did you just not show up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts