Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway we could introduce a spellcheck at this site?

I've seen far too many posts with incorrect spellings, some people have no choice BUT to spell incorrectly, because they can't figure out how to spell the words (including myself sometimes) and although I correct as much as I can, I can only do it for those forums where I am manager.

I don't want this community to become illterate. Viewing incorrect spelling cannot be good for anybody's English.

So what do you think? Is it possible?

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Well I don't believe there is a spellchecker available as a vbulletin function. That means you'd have to check your post before submitting. I've checked for available Mozilla plugins and I couldn't find a spellchecker.

However for quick reference, you cannot go wrong with dictionary.com, if you use Mozilla there's a plugin for it that integrates it with the browser. :)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Firenze said:
Is there anyway we could introduce a spellcheck at this site?

I've seen far too many posts with incorrect spellings, some people have no choice BUT to spell incorrectly, because they can't figure out how to spell the words (including myself sometimes) and although I correct as much as I can, I can only do it for those forums where I am manager.

I don't want this community to become illterate. Viewing incorrect spelling cannot be good for anybody's English.

So what do you think? Is it possible?
I don't think it is possible, nor necessary really. Some people just don't know how to spell correctly, because it is difficult if English is not your first language. But you cannot get around that fact. You can come across poor spelling also in your everyday life. Anyway, that's my opinion. I still appreciate your suggestion though :)

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Spellcheck

Prince-O said:
I don't think it is possible, nor necessary really. Some people just don't know how to spell correctly, because it is difficult if English is not your first language. But you cannot get around that fact. You can come across poor spelling also in your everyday life. Anyway, that's my opinion. I still appreciate your suggestion though :)
I knew I was going to get one response stating this. If we don't tackle bad spelling then it's going to go on unnecesarily.

I was talking about native AND non-native English speakers. If you look up you'll notice when I made my suggestion a non-native English speaker readily agreed with my suggestion. Funny isn't it?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
So? Mali is a non-native English speaker. I'm not. So you have one in favour and one who thinks it is a good idea, but not that necessary that he jumps out of his seat to applaud it.

Like I said, I think it is a good idea, but to be honest, I couldn't care, since wrongly spelled words are part of every day life. I see a lot of people mis-spell words here in Holland, why should I bother about people mis-spelling words here then?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Mili would blow the thing up with her first post.

·
Registered
55,907 Posts
hehe:tongue:

what is funny is that 50% of english words do have french origins.
like mousTACHE (quite funny a french accent for a french word:D)
or "entrepreneur" ;)
"the problem with the french is that they don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'"
george bush
:howler:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
mali said:
hehe:tongue:

what is funny is that 50% of english words do have french origins.
like mousTACHE (quite funny a french accent for a french word:D)
or "entrepreneur" ;)
"the problem with the french is that they don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'"
george bush
:howler:
50%, eh? Good thing the idea is just to get a spell checker and not a fact checker. Fact checkers are a lot more expensive. Or Xt would have to file for bankrupcy on Mili's second post.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
mali said:
just in this single page, there is 50% of french words:)
If that were true, your English would have been about 48% better than what you've demonstrated thus far.

·
Registered
55,907 Posts
it's not a question of vocabulary, it's a question of syntax:)

look at the above sentence, there is more than 50% of french words:tongue:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
mali said:
it's not a question of vocabulary, it's a question of syntax:)

look at the above sentence, there is more than 50% of french words:tongue:
Hehehe:D I can't wait to find out which are the French words.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts