Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has annoyed me for a long time now, i speak english. I have Italian grandparents and parents, but living in an english speaking country, its been hard to pick up fluent italian. As i study other subjects at University.

I can read italian slightly and can piece together a few words. But cannot understand an entire site in Italian.

This has really got me angry lately!

The official Parma site used to be in English also, but was stopped before this season even begun, so the english part of the site has been non-existant for many many months. Even when it was up and running it was always about 2-3 weeks behind.

Magico-Parma and other English Parma sites are now no longer up to date, and they have been defunct, since about 2005/06.

Which brings me to the point why is there no English Parma websites, we are a big enough club these days with enough fans around the world to have an english site! Many other Italian teams have multiple english sites for their fans to keep up to date with.

I think it is quite dissapointing and embarrassing that the only form of English Parma information, is from this forum, i am not saying that this forum is bad, no way!! This is probably the only thing that is keeping english parma fans united at the moment.

So why hasnt anyone created a site? Is there no financial rewards for a parma site?? Hasnt any parma fan in the world got the heart or passion to make a site? is there nobody in the world who supports parma that has computer, IT or internet skills??? To all 3 questions i think NOT!

So why is there no site for us, for english speaking parma fans???

Benefits of this site, would include,
-promoting the club for more people to see ( like milan - attracting more fans)
- Somewhere for us all to go first, rather than going to the football sites for every team and every club in the world (as we dont get much of a mention anyway)
- Financial benefits for the owner of the site.
- could speak on our own forum
- if a site were created, i beleive we would find more parma fans from around the world ( as i found this site, by chance! only because the official site stopped updating)
- there are many many many more benefits and advantages of our own site...

Does anyone here have the 'know-how' of creating a site... ( i do not unfortunately)..., but if one were created i would love to help in any way i could, and i bet others from here would be the same.

We all share the same passion, we all love the same team, but i feel at the moment, we are not fully reaching what we could. The first thing i thought when the english part of the official site went down was "oh no, management issues etc" and look... now serie b... maybe a coincidence, but what im trying to say is...

WE NEED AN ENGLISH SPEAKING SITE FOR PARMA, not only for us, but all parma fans around the world. We need to show that we are not to be taken lightly, and we are not a joke!

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Exactly, this forum is ideal. We pay no fee's and we discuss everything together, rather than a few select guys writing down their thoughts with no response.

I considered the idea many times, and even started putting in the ground work for it all, but when it's all said and done, we're not a big enough club nowadays, with not enough news to keep the website interesting.

This forum is perfect for English speeking members, there's nothing a great website could offer that you can't learn here.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I was thinking of re-re-re launching a website as a hobby over the summer anyway... not that it would be upto the standard of XT information wise :p it would just be a sort of a place for photos and whatever video highlights we can get next season and probably stats on the players too.

I was thinking of using it to try get together the english speaking parma fans I know on other forums and bring them over to XT if necessary.

Anyway point is I hope to have a good steady site up for the new season anyway whether people use it or not I don't really care :D

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I know meccano started one up a while back..... dunno if you would be willing to start it up again??? I think it'd be useful to have a news section, then have a link to this site on the webpage....

·
Banned
18,453 Posts
Exactly, this forum is ideal. We pay no fee's and we discuss everything together, rather than a few select guys writing down their thoughts with no response.

I considered the idea many times, and even started putting in the ground work for it all, but when it's all said and done, we're not a big enough club nowadays, with not enough news to keep the website interesting.

This forum is perfect for English speeking members, there's nothing a great website could offer that you can't learn here.

I've gone as far as to tell Ghirardi that myself, top that :pp :D

I see Fiasco's point, I came across XT by accident as well while
googling for something.

The Parma webpage is our most important tool of communication
its not as if the traditional media is buzzing with stories connected
to Parma Calcio.

But alas, our webmasters are useless, and so are the marketing
guys as well. :depress:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
What you say about the official website being in Italian. This is standard and it's actually fairly recent that some of the clubs have established versions in English. I think Inter has done a pretty good job of this for a while, but Juve only got a decent English version like 2 years ago. Before that they cycled between nothing and an English version produced by an automated translator, which was a joke. And even now I'd rather use the Italian version, because that one is clearly maintained properly, than the English where half the stories are missing and stories are added like a day after the fact.

Interestingly, Gazzetta just launched their website in English in 2008!! And there too it's the same story, they're not really trying as you can plainly see it's not a mirror image of the original at all.

So yeah, tough luck. If you want to keep up with a sporting culture that's not English speaking then you'll always be at a disadvantage linguistically. I'm not Italian so to me it enriches the experience, but your mileage may vary. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts