Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain how the kick off times in spain work please?

I'm reasonably new to following the spanish game, so don't understand how it works in la liga.

For example in the UK, more or less every game starts at 3pm on a Saturday, and stays like that all year.
In Spain you seem to have some games at say 6.30/8.30pm at the start of season and suddenly about October it changes to 6pm/8pm?
Why is that?, and when do they move back to that time again?
Why some games at 5pm, some 7pm, some 9pm ?
How does it all work in Spain?
Can some one please answer this for me?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Valdes said:
Could someone please explain how the kick off times in spain work please?

I'm reasonably new to following the spanish game, so don't understand how it works in la liga.

For example in the UK, more or less every game starts at 3pm on a Saturday, and stays like that all year.
In Spain you seem to have some games at say 6.30/8.30pm at the start of season and suddenly about October it changes to 6pm/8pm?
Why is that?, and when do they move back to that time again?
Why some games at 5pm, some 7pm, some 9pm ?
How does it all work in Spain?
Can some one please answer this for me?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
It depends on the schedule of the TVs, the European matches and the season of the year.

In Spain, we have 2 matches in normal TV. One on Saturday at 10 PM broadcasted by the Public TVs and the other one on Sunday at 9 PM in Canal+.

The rest of the matches are usually played at 5 PM in PPV, except Barcelona and Real Madrid. If they're not broadcasted in the normal TVs, they play on Saturday at 8 PM or on Sunday at 7 PM. This is this way, because Barcelona and Real Madrid suppose the 90% of the incomes of Digital+ (the ones that have the PPV matches).

If there are European competitions, normally, the teams advance their matches to Saturday to rest more days, especially, if they have to play on Tuesday. Then they could play at 6 PM or 8 PM.

The kick-off times also change at the begining and at the end of the season. In several zones of Spain, especially in the center and the south, the months of September, first half of October, April, May and June may be very hot. The temperatures in cities like Sevilla, Albacete or Madrid in May can be horrible at 5 PM, with an average of 30ºC and, in the worst of the cases, higher. So that's why the matches are played one or two hours later. At 7 PM the sun is not so high and warm, the temperatures are still quite hot, but if you can have 3 or 4 degrees less, much better. At 5 PM, it is horrible, for the players and for the fans. That's why there are different kick-off times in warm months and in cold months.

I know that this is a mess, but I hope you can understand it better now.
:)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
To sum it up:

In Saturday, the matches are at 18:00 (when there's a match) 20:00 or 22:00h (match broadcasted in public TVs).

In Sunday, all the games are played at 17:00h, except one at 19:00h and another at 21:00h (Canal+).

I think it's okay, except the game of the public TVs, it's too late. I'd play at 21:00h instead.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that explanation K4, thanks Setzer. :thmbup: :star:

So, 3rd April, Jornada 30, is when the kick off times move back half an hour ?

Personally, I'm happy with the games being a bit later, with the UK being an hour behind spain,(I wish we'd come in line with CET!), the kick offs are too early for me to watch at the moment!

However, I guess if you are attending the late Saturday match, it may be tricky getting transport home that late at night?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Valdes said:
Thanks for that explanation K4, thanks Setzer. :thmbup: :star:

So, 3rd April, Jornada 30, is when the kick off times move back half an hour ?

Personally, I'm happy with the games being a bit later, with the UK being an hour behind spain,(I wish we'd come in line with CET!), the kick offs are too early for me to watch at the moment!

However, I guess if you are attending the late Saturday match, it may be tricky getting transport home that late at night?
I don't know when they'll change the hours for summer. About the transportation, it depends on the city, Barcelona and Madrid's subway close late at night. I guess that it depends on the size of the city, in the smaller ones, people may go walking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts