Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that commentaries on the Spanish game always seem to be a better read?

You have the regular Phil Ball column on Soccernet and the marvellous Sid Lowe on Guardian Online and both writers are witty, adopt extremely radical styles and very insightful. Their columns are a joy to read.

On the other hand, you have Roberto Gotta covering calcio on Soccernet and James Richardson on Guardian, and despite their interesting take on Italian football from time to time, often pale in comparison to their Spanish counterparts. Sometimes the humour is flat and the approach not terribly amusing (although I have to say that Richardson's Gazzetta is one of my favourite shows).

It happens on World Soccer as well - I have huge respect for Paddy Agnew as a dedicated professional working for the good of calcio, but his columns just lack a certain punch. I just feel there's so much more that "better" writers can offer to the Italian game. Is it just me, or are Spanish writers just traditionally better?

Sid Lowe should write for Serie A one day. He's the best football columnist writing in the English language I know.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
As for reading, i enjoy reading gazzetta every day. Italian just sounds cool as hell. I agree, i'm left feeling a little underwhelmed when i read the italian league wrap ups from most sources. They need some more talented writers to give it a go. The Spanish writing is usually so much more interesting because everything that happens in spanish football always seems to have a deeper socio-political background to it that gives it more "layers" and creates a much more interesting story.

Kind of like when I was arguing with my friend that Barca-Madrid is bigger easily than Milan-Juve or anything Italy can offer because the political history behind it all just adds so much to the story.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My favourite league is the Italian League but I must admit reading columns by Spanish writers is a joy.
Spanish writers win easily.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
You don't like James Richardson? I think he's very good. Sid Lowe has a different style, but I enjoy both of them a lot. I haven't spotted anyone else writing well about Serie A though.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Why are Spanish writers better? Because God is on their side.

And when I say "God" I mean Guillem Balaque. :thumbsup: :howler:

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Dekalog said:
Why are Spanish writers better? Because God is on their side.

And when I say "God" I mean Guillem Balaque. :thumbsup: :howler:
Guilleme is an absoloute legend!! as is james richardson, anyone who watches serie a in england will know this guy is the bollocks!! i also like gabriel marchoti (think thats how u spell it) who writes on serie a and is often on radio talkshows etc

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Sid Lowe writes about Madrid mainly? well it's only natural he will be funnier, he has a lot of funny material to work with where he can deliver one liners with ease. ;)

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Sid Lowe writes about Madrid mainly? well it's only natural he will be funnier, he has a lot of funny material to work with where he can deliver one liners with ease. ;)
Well, sort of. He does write about Madrid a lot, I guess because they tend to be the focal point of attention. But he does discuss any club that is loud at the given moment, I've read some wonderful articles of his about the Seville clubs, Getafe, Atletico etc..

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Marcotti is probably my favourite sports writer. The guy seriously knows his onions regarding most things european football. He writes for the Times in England, although his articles recently have been a bit boring. Still, the guy's class.

I love Guilleme Balague aswell.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Mutu_20 said:
Marcotti is probably my favourite sports writer. The guy seriously knows his onions regarding most things european football. He writes for the Times in England, although his articles recently have been a bit boring. Still, the guy's class.

The top 2 in my opinion. Marcotti's last couple of articles have been about MLS though his piece on ultras was top notch. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I like Marcotti a raving madman but a funny guy as well. :thumbsup: :tongue:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Erm I posted it in here in the 'Ultras: Should they stay or should they go?' thread.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Dule said:
The top 2 in my opinion. Marcotti's last couple of articles have been about MLS though his piece on ultras was top notch. :thumbsup:

Ah I forgot about that Ultra's article, that was pretty good. Some of my favourite ever article (yes I am sad. I save articles that I like) have been written by Marcotti.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
No problem mate, I dislike the way that a lot of people think that Ultras = Hooligans when it really is a minority and more light should be shed on these great dedicated fans who aren't violent and love their clubs more than any other.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Mutu_20 said:

yep great shout...

only problem with gab marcotti is that hes very very anti-la liga!! he and guilleme used to have sum great debates on talksport about ppl whove played in both leagues like moreno, contra, darko kov etc etc

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
That show was absolute quality btw. I disaggre with you about his anti La-Liga stance, I think he's too intelligent to be so small minded about La Liga.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts