Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the press conference yesterday when asked about his interest in Sheva and whether that means he wants to change the current 4-2-3-1 system:

"I repeat, this will be the formation and no changes will be made. We are looking only for players who fit this system and can play different rules in it"

Aint that sweet? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Unnecessary thread...this was well known anyways.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
It isnt totally unnecessary because GO_12 is right this time... We dont have the players to play the same system we have always done... of course at times we can and we should, but we must have a new plan... I hope Spalletti can become flexible this year rather than simply play players out of position to keep the formation.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unnecessary thread...this was well known anyways.
No, there was slightest of hope when everybody including Spalletti noticed the obvious and satated our need for a true striker. Now that won't happen and I don't know was it because we couldn't get a decent striker or maybe it was Spalletti plan from the begining to get a striker then bench him for Totti.

Anyways, we are screwed.. no wingers and no striker and a coach who played one tactic for 3 years.

Unnecessary indeed. :rolleyes:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
I thought we had enough wingers, and wide players in general, for a 4-2-3-1 according to you GO12? and that's why a striker was a priority from your point of view. and you must've known that any striker we might sign will without a shadow of a doubt be benched by Totti.

there's no need for changing 4-2-3-1 as our main tactic (if we forget our dire need for wide players), and Spalletti never states that there will be no plan B in that quote of his, and I'm not naive enough to believe he'll change to a B plan unless he's truly pushed by serious player limitation like at the end of last season when he played 4-2-2-2, but it just doesn't.

I'd take two decent wide players (one left and one right) over Baptista and a striker any day of the week and keep 4-2-3-1 as our main tactic with a simple 4-4-2 as an alternative when needed, but we had to place all our eggs in the Mutu basket and panic into shelling out 9 mill for Babtista, who isn't a bad signing but a very low priority one, and run after any and all available strikers on the market.

this frustrates me to no end, for god's sake sell Brighi and get Appiah for free for an instant upgrade, sign Menez yesterday to fill the gap Mancini left (I pray I'm wrong but I believe a lot of people will be highly disappointed with Mirko on the left) and find anyone for the right flank to be a sub-Taddei or even better bench him, anyone but super pre-season winger Alvarez. how is that not obvious for whomever in charge of our mercato? not necessarily those names but our needs?
we've got Alvarez and Verga as our sub wingers, please read that again and reconsider what you aspire to this coming season.

·
Administrator
52,991 Posts
Spalletti creates attract football, but man is he a huge one trick pony. Little flexibility wont huirt.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought we had enough wingers, and wide players in general, for a 4-2-3-1 according to you GO12?
I never said we had enough wingers for 4231, I meant we have enough wingers in general for a normal football team, not for Spalletti and his weird mutant system of relying heavily on wingers with no true striker. You rarely see a team feild 2 true wingers in today's football, it is usually a variation between wingers and attacking fullbacks. The last time I saw a team play with 2 wingers was during the days when 4-4-2 was popular.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
I really don't wanna argue with you GO12, god knows I have enough of that going around in my life right now, but look at which formation your discussing and what it is you said:
Link
I say wingers and you say striker and the formation in question is 4-2-3-1. I still can't believe that you'd play Cassetti, Alvarez and Panucci as wingers and substantially lower the quality of our right flank, to get a striker who will be benched by Totti upon his return. not to mention Tonetto as Vucinic's replacement on the left, come on dude! you've seen him play there last season, you can't possibly want more of that.

and which team is considered best in the world right now and how many wingers do they field? in fact how many offensive players do they field in their league matches? it's about tactical discipline more than anything.

we can discuss tactics all we want but the fact remains that we will play 4-2-3-1 and our mercato is so depressing because of this fact. which, in itself, isn't a bad fact until you consider that, just like our mercato, we have no plan b.

I'm usually never highly optimistic or pessimistic before the start of a season, but I really got a bad feeling about this one, especially if we end up with Suazo by the end of the mercato or some other striker.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We literally have half our squad as wide players, and you still want more? Fair enough.

.. and yes the formation you quoted might be written as 4231 but I thought with Baptista, Vucinic and Totti it might function as some variation of 433.

..but it seems Spalletti wants his one and only two wingers on each side with Totti in the middle. May God have mercy on my soul while watching us play this season.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Taddei
Esposito
Alvarez
Virga

that's how many wingers we have, let me state again, wingers. you consider Cicinho and Cassetti wingers while I consider them fullbacks (which we have enough of). of those listed names, how many are worthy of being in our squad? don't you think that we should have at least two players for each position? and how many are natural left side players to sub Vucinic, if you're going to consider him our left side attacker? these questions bug me everyday, don't they bug you?

honestly, who's your top pick signing form all of our realistic targets?

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
No, there was slightest of hope when everybody including Spalletti noticed the obvious and satated our need for a true striker. Now that won't happen and I don't know was it because we couldn't get a decent striker or maybe it was Spalletti plan from the begining to get a striker then bench him for Totti.

Anyways, we are screwed.. no wingers and no striker and a coach who played one tactic for 3 years.

Unnecessary indeed. :rolleyes:
This is without question, a useless thread. Simply because you knew this already...I knew this already...and so did most people. Now we're going to last season's same angry story about the tactics we use will WILL NEVER CHANGE with Spalletti as coach.

And even if we got this true striker, Spalletti would not change tactics. He'd make him the prima punta and change Totti's role slighty.

Roll your eyes at me all you like....what I am saying is the truth.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well R10.. what your saying is the truth. But Spalletti incompetence of not finding new system doesn't mean discussing tactics is useless.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taddei
Esposito
Alvarez
Virga

that's how many wingers we have, let me state again, wingers. you consider Cicinho and Cassetti wingers while I consider them fullbacks (which we have enough of). of those listed names, how many are worthy of being in our squad? don't you think that we should have at least two players for each position? and how many are natural left side players to sub Vucinic, if you're going to consider him our left side attacker? these questions bug me everyday, don't they bug you?

honestly, who's your top pick signing form all of our realistic targets?
All I am saying we are not functioning as a normal football team using this tactic. We kinda agree on that, and currently we have two choices, either continue to buy wingers or changing the system. I tend to find the last option more practical.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
I would still sign wingers even if we changed tactics, I really value wide play, not to mention that I'm not against our current tactic, however I'm against not having an alternative.

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
If Spall wanted to use his same tactics, why didn't he/we shop accordingly, 'stead of losing Mancini, Giuly, Cerci, now possibly Cici, and replacing them with Riise?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts