Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think was Spain's best player at this world cup? Players who stood out: Casillas, Puyol, Hierro, Valeron, Helguera, Morientes and Raul. My pick would be either Morientes or Casillas.

Mod's, how about a poll?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd have to say Puyol. Mostly for his play in the last two games. If Joaquin had played in more games I'd definitely put him on the list as well. He was the best player on the pitch in both games he played.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The best players were Casillas, Puyol, Helguera, Joaquin, Morientes and Raul.

The worst players were Romero, Juanfran, Luis Enrique and Tristan and Mendieta.

The biggest dissapointments were Valeron, who was just average, Tristan, appalling, and Luis Enrique who was given pelnty of minutes adn did very little.

Nice surprises were De Pedro until he run out of steam and/or faced physical opponents, and Joaquin, a star in the making that only the ineptitude of camacho prevented us from seing him more.

Now with Hierro and nadal gone, is there any central defenders in Spain who can play competently at international level apart from Helguera? Is there a left back of enough quality as Romero and Juanfran were found wanting...?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
As a neutral supporter of ur NT, I shall say De Pedro. He is a relatively unknown player in the NT. His sublime passes and truly deadly set pieces had me impressed.

To be frank I had never heard about Him before.:eek: Would be grateful if somebody would take care to inform me about him.

Bye

·
Registered
238 Posts
Definitely this 2 - Iván Helguera and Puyol. At the start of this So called world cup, I thought Spain NT look shaky especially at the back. But the partnership of these 2 is outstanding and suddenly I am full of confidence that Spain will do well in the future.

;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Puyol, who was a solid throut but didnot overlap much in the latter stages of the world cup.He could have created many more header opportunities for morientes with crosses.
De Pedro was great in the group stages and it was the first time I was seeing him play and I think he'll do really well in the future.
Special mention to Hierro.
But apart from Joaquin the rest of the star midfielders were very
mediocre save for occasional flashes of their real capability.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Puyol and Raul were the best performers for me. They were the ones keeping Spain in the competition for so long. Also Casillas was better than I thought he'd be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think Casillas was a definite surprise. He was very composed and most of the goals conceded were caused by a shaky defence rather than his inexperience. Canizares will be very proud of him. :)

Puyol was amazing! Lots of stamina and he is a very solid defender. One of my picks for the best WC 2002 performer for Spain. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
casillas, Raul and puyol

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I don't get this:confused: Why is Raul being ommited by most people? Is it because he didn't play against Korea?

Most important player for Spain? There's no questions asked - RAUL. When he wasn't on the field the team lost half it's creatvity, they lacked in every department. The usual "Raul critics" for once can't do their crappping, but sure enough he won't get credit where it's due. The only reason Spain were so impressive in the group stages, was because of Raul's total and utter genious up front. We can say what we like about De Pedro and Luis Enrique, but both were not up to the job AS WINGERS. Thus we had most attacks going through the center where Valeron was definitely not fond of the combination he and Baraja were "forming". Overall pretty disappointing going forward (in spanish terms), but there was the light - Raul. He made everything happen in this team. When he came of v Ireland the huge hole left behind was just too visable.

Oh well, whatever. The usual story with Raul.

There wewre some other good players, this I agree. Puyol had a miserable first 2 games, he looked like a slow, fat pig:eek: After that h became brilliant. Really funny change, but boy, did SPain need it!!!

Helguera proved he's a master in the spanish midfield, or wherever he plays. The presance he brings along can't be matched by anyone in the team, not even Hierro anymore (sort of sad:( ). Majestic player.

The rest? Casillas? Give me a break... he made some good saves, but the **** he was doing on crosses ruins everything for me. I can't even consider him a modest player, because it's no good when you're brilliant at one aspect of the game and horendous at anoher. Especially when you're a goalkeeper. OK, he didn't conceide a goal after one of his historic adventures into no-mans land, and that's why he's a hero of a couple of games - but overall he remains the same incompetent moron on crosses.

Juanfran? To me, he was one of the best spanish players in this tournament, and can't figure out what everyone has against him? The "penalty"? Give me a break. He and Helguera were the only reason Duff didn't score 5 goals himself that game, and Romero wouldn't have had a hope in his position.

Most disappointing? Sadly it was Luis Enrique. Played all the games, and failed each time.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i name Hierro.

the real guys are proved excellent time by time,Raul,Casi,Ivan and Moro.but we once doubted Hierro,his age,his speed.and defending line was a big worry before the wc.but Hierro convinced us he deserved the job.as a captain,his impact on the pitch none to be replaceable.we will miss the guy contribution for the national team.:proud::angel:

many good players this worldcup.lean on stars work,we would nt have gone far way.we should do better we will do better.:hopefull:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with Labas and Laoer.

Hierro, the rock in defence. I didn`t see him lose a single time in one on one situations, and he was always the one to rescue us with those long legs of his. He did two mistakes during the whole tournament. 1) He tried to pull of Quinns shirt (even though that irish **** started it) 2) He lost the ball in a dangerous position vs Corea. Three second later he had won the ball back.

Raúl, the genious up front. The Raúl of 2002 reminds a lot of Alfredo Di Stéfano, even though he is not so overwhelmingly strong physically and not as complete as la saeta rubia. He is brilliant in every aspect of the game, be it defending, holding the ball, passing it, always looking for the runs of his teammates and still is always the one who is there at the right time to finsh. Raúl is like Totti and Pippo Inzaghi combined, respect.

Other players that did well was Joaquin, if only he played more, Puyol, great in offense, excellent i defence and Helguera.

·
Registered
721 Posts
GaspartJoan said:
Now with Hierro and nadal gone, is there any central defenders in Spain who can play competently at international level apart from Helguera?
How about a Helguera-Puyol partnership with Manuel Pablo as the right back? There are some decent players out there as well, but they would have to become regulars pretty fast if we want a decent defence in Portugal.

GaspartJoan said:
Is there a left back of enough quality as Romero and Juanfran were found wanting...?
Maybe Del Horno or Raúl Bravo should be given a chance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts