Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before every major tournament Spain is always named among the biggest favourites to win the entire thing, but this time it seems many people have learned from previous boasts, and Spain could hardly be considered as a favourite. This perhaps due to their dissappointing campaign before this World Cup.

With out of form players like Raul, Joaquin and Helguera, overrated ones like Ramos and Torres, how do you guys rate their chances before this major tournament?? Will Pablo and Puyol :star: be able to make them compete among the big boys this time??

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
If Raul will be a starter they will fail as usual.
Only Puyol and Cassilas, the only World Class players, may add some champion mentality. The first group stage will be no problem though.

PS: Xavi will be missed. That Ruben Baraja guy is awful.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I would't call Spain crashing out a failure. How can anything that is realistic and obvious be considered a failure?

Spain crashing out is as plausible as Brazil having a good tournament. If one of the things doesn't happen, it would be a major surprise. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
They will pass the group stage but i cant see them doing anything more then that,there is a lot of better teams then spain this wc,and even when they were on of the top class teams they didnt do anything

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
How the hell is Sergio Ramos overrated? :rollani: Only 26 league goals conceded in 27 league games for God's sake, and Ramos is one of the biggest reasons for those statistics. I feel sorry for Ramos, he constantly has to cover an entire back-line (Cicinho and Carlos hardly defend; Raul Bravo, Helguera or Pavon are simply a joke, Woody is always injured...) and that makes him look all over the place. In reality, he's doing a fantastic job for us this season and will one day be a legend. :star:

Right, as for Spain, it depends primarily on what Luis Aragones does. He has to identifiy and understand our areas of strength and play in accordance to those abilities. Spain has some of the best central midfielders and wingers in World Football, but we lack many world-class forwards (except for David Villa), so we must play 4-1-4-1 as that is the formation which will best utilize our squad ability.

-------------------------Casillas

Salgado---------Ramos-----------Puyol---------Del Horno

-------------------------Senna-----------------------

----------X.Alonso-------------------Cesc----------

Joaquín----------------------------------------Vicente-

-----------------------David Villa------------------------

Spain is known for underachieving, but this team has a young, talented and hungry nucleus. I don't think the likes of Sergio Ramos, Cesc Fabregas and David Villa will pay much attention to Spain's underachieving History, to be honest.

I expect Spain to put up a good fight at the World Cup, but a QF date with Brasil will be the moment of truth.

This team should have a great chance to win Euro 2008, though.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zyad said:
Xavi has a good chance of recovering in time.
He should not be played if he gets back. That would devastate the morale of the other players. He has been away for so long and totally out of form, and everything.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I like Xabi, Valeron and Vicente a lot, but I think Vicente is coming from injury while Valeron is full of ups and downs. That aside the players that impress me are Puyol, Iker and Villa. Then they have Xavi, Iniesta, Guti, Joaquim, Cesc, Del Corno, Ramos who in my opinion are very overrated by the fans and are really not elite in football.

If they build a team around Xabi, Villa, Puyol and Iker they will have a chance. Still there are stronger teams out there and with players that have a stronger mentality. Out of the pack I mentioned the only one that seems to come out on top with regularity is Puyol.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Depends on what you call failure. I think that Spain would do a bad tournament falling in the first round or 1/8 finals. If we make the 1/4 finals, we'll do the same of always. Anything over the 1/4 finals would be an improvement.

I think there are some NTs better than Spain in terms of talent, experience, history... we're not favourites to be World champions. At the same time, Spain could beat anyone in a good day, including Brazil.

·
40,147 Posts
Starcraft said:
He should not be played if he gets back. That would devastate the morale of the other players. He has been away for so long and totally out of form, and everything.
Xavi is too important for Spain. I don't think anyone would complain, because nowadays, Xavi is the best Spanish player by far. But he shouldn't force the knee, IMO. Tell that to him though.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have possibly the biggest league in the world. Anything but at least a semi final should be considered as a failure from them. But with their current squad I have my doubts if they even manage to get out of the group phase.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
L-Pheno said:
How the hell is Sergio Ramos overrated? :rollani: Only 26 league goals conceded in 27 league games for God's sake, and Ramos is one of the biggest reasons for those statistics.
Fel what about Copa? With him tackling the ground, going for offside on a throwin. Also Cicinho has hardly played as a fullback and against Arsenal the best defender was Roberto Carlos.

He is a prospect and some think he is already world class, with time who knows and I understand is hard to play for Madrid. But he is overrated when you consider that a lot here at XT rate him as world class.

·
Registered
69,728 Posts
Starcraft said:
Before every major tournament Spain is always named among the biggest favourites to win the entire thing
That was the first mistake.

I´d say that Spain did well in the last WC. They failed in 1998 and they did pretty well in 1994. That´s all.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Lite®nit said:
Fel what about Copa? With him tackling the ground, going for offside on a throwin. Also Cicinho has hardly played as a fullback and against Arsenal the best defender was Roberto Carlos.

He is a prospect and some think he is already world class, with time who knows and I understand is hard to play for Madrid. But he is overrated when you consider that a lot here at XT rate him as world class.
The Copa game was bad, not only from Ramos' side but the squad as a whole collapsed. When the throw-in was taken, watch it again, who did Ramos have to cover? It was Helguera AND Carlos. He just can't do everything on this own.

I think he has world-class potential, certainly, but again, you have to look at the stats; 26 league goals conceded in 27 games. Come on, not even Walter Samuel could help us with such a defensive record. You think that record is a fluke? Ramos has been great if you look at the overral picture. I am not saying he is William Gallas, but for a teenager to come in and handle the pressure at Real Madrid AND perform on a consistent level, I think he's been very good.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GICA said:
That was the first mistake.

I´d say that Spain did well in the last WC. They failed in 1998 and they did pretty well in 1994. That´s all.
What do you mean?? They are not named among the favourites, or that it is a mistake to name them as favourites becasue it effects their play (obviously).

·
40,147 Posts
Lite®nit said:

I agree with you. Ramos looks very well, but I don't think his position in the NT is even assured. Only Puyol has the place assured in defense. Moreover, I bet that Pablo will be the 2nd CB, because Luis wants a different kind of CB and Ramos is a worse version of Puyol.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts