Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South Africa needs only a point to go through to the next round while Spain wants to wrap up first place.

·
Registered
966 Posts
South Africa is a worse team than Slovenia or Paraguay in my eyes; though we are already qualified I think it will be an easy victory for us:)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
No roll over from Spain

ULSAN, South Korea, June 9 (AFP)

Spain will not roll over and give South Africa and easy ride into the second round said the Spanish captain Fernando Hierro here on Sunday.
The pair meet in their final Group B match in Daejeon on Wednesday and the 'Bafana Bafana' (The Boys) must get at least a draw to progress to the second round.
Spain have already qualified after 3-1 wins over both Slovenia and Paraguay.
"We are going all out for another win, and will fight to be the top of the group, regardless of who is going to be in the starting 11," said Hierro at a press conference.
"The best way of staying in form is to keep on winning. We are not going to be content with a draw, you can't fool around trying to pick your rivals."
"But we can also get better. We were OK against Slovenia, better against Paraguay, but there is still room for improvement, and we will have to improve."
"As I am always saying, in reality we haven't won anything yet," added the Real Madrid captain.
Hierro, as much as anybody, knows that Spain have a habit of flattering to deceive at World Cups, especially when burdened with high expectations.
He is playing in his fourth World Cup campaign although, as a 22 year-old reserve midfielder, he did not see a minute of action at Italia 90 .
"We are confident we can beat any rival but it is soon going to be sudden death. We still have to face a lot of good teams if we are going to get into the later stages of this competition, and the games are going to get a lot more complicated," commented Hierro.
However, Hierro admitted that the squad had done less homework on South Africa than on their two previous vanquished Group B rivals.
"South Africa don't have much of a history, but they are here and deserve to be here," said Hierro, struggling to elaborate much more on Spain's opponents.
"But they have players like (Benni) McCarthy and (Quinton) Fortune, who have played for Spanish clubs, and that fact alone tells you that they have good players," added Hierro.
Hierro said that the coach Jose Antonio Camacho had not discussed Wednesday's line up with the squad, although pundits expect him to make wholesale changes and rest some players now that qualification is secure.
Real Mallorca striker Alberto Luque, a surprise selection last month and the only uncapped player in the Spanish squad, looks likely to make his international debut, although the player himself seemed unsure.
"The coach hasn't said anything to me. Frankly, it's special for me just being here," commented Luque on Sunday.

It BETTER be No rollover :dielaugh: España takes it home and 9 points !!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I hope that Spain will play fairly and do all what they can do so to destroy South Africa.

I prefer to see Spain winning it with 2 goals or more difference:angel:

·
4,421 Posts
This time Spain have it easy but Camacho will let his best players in the bench so South Africa have an oportunity.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I won't cry if we don't win but Hierro is right in that we need to keep up form. If Camacho starts almost every reserve than I don't know who will play left mid:confused: . This is my assumed Starting 11;

____Ricardo____
Curro_Hierro_Helguera_Romero
Joaquin_Xavi_Mendieta_???
____Luque_Morientes__

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine is like this

ricardo

curro------------hierro------helguera-----------romero

joaquin---------albelda------mendie-------------LE21

-------------moro---------luque-----------

still look impressive huh?

·
Registered
966 Posts
We can destroy South Africa with our reserve team, the Spanish squad is full of good and competitive players. If I was Camacho I'd put players like Mendieta, Xavi or Luque in the starting eleven.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I voted for Spain obviously though they don''t have the same mentality because they are qualified. A 2-1 or a draw maybe

·
4,421 Posts
If tomorrow Germany get the second place, Spain may let South Africa win to avoid Germany in the next round.

You can vote about this in www.marca.com (Spanish)

·
94,487 Posts
Super Puyol said:
We can destroy South Africa with our reserve team, the Spanish squad is full of good and competitive players. If I was Camacho I'd put players like Mendieta, Xavi or Luque in the starting eleven.
You cant count your chickenns till they hatch !!! Italy said with a reserve Team they could beat Croatia.....We all know what happened there !!! :dazed:

·
Registered
966 Posts
colocolo said:

You cant count your chickenns till they hatch !!! Italy said with a reserve Team they could beat Croatia.....We all know what happened there !!! :dazed:
Actually Croatia didn't deserve to win, the referee was horrible and robbed Italy 2 goals... Anyways, you can't compare Italy with Spain and Croatia with South Africa, can you?;)

EDIT: 500 posts! Star player!:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Spain-South Africa
South Africa - Spain | News Archive

Who's that girl in the crowd? (Allsport)
06/11/2002. South Africa are, with fellow Africans Senegal, one of the World Cup's surprise packages. Their first game of the tournament (against Paraguay) was entertaining yet naive, especially as it came after a fiesta of tactical and technical abilities in Nigeria-Argentina. However the Bafana Bafana made the most of Slovenia's catacylsmic crisis and grabbed an unprecedented win in the World Cup. It followed similar achievements by minnows like hosts Korea & Japan, who were also anxiously waiting for their very first WC success.

As for Spain, they are one of the only "big guns" (together with Brazil) to have enjoyed a quiet First Round. While the likes of France, Italy or Argentina were sweating to grab their ticket to the next stage, Spain strolled to victory against Slovenia and Paraguay, with a little help from the ref. Those good results will enable coach Camacho to field a second-string team, with the view to rest his key players for the more demanding knock-out stages.

All in all, a draw could be enough for South Africa to qualify. This result would also fit Spain, who could then remain on top of the group. South Africa have their eyes set on a historic achievement which would come ten years after their return on the World stage after 30 years spent on the sidelines because of their apartheid policy.

TEAM NEWS

As we mentioned, Camacho is set to heavily rely on his reserves for this match. When asked whether he will give special instructions to his team, the Spanish tecnico reassured the media and said he would demand a win from them. New additions feature Curro Torres, Romero and Helguera in defence, Xavi and Mendieta in midfield, while Real pair Raul & Morientes should start the match up front. Javier De Pedro is out due to a muscle injury.

Jomo Sono's major change should be Siyabonga Nomvete confirmed up front together with new Boro boy Benni McCarthy after a successful match end against Slovenia. Nomvete was left out of South Africa's first match against Paraguay. Sono's lineup is expected to be broadly unchanged except for Nomvete.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Spain (4-4-2): Ricardo or Iker Casillas, Curro Torres, Romero, Helguera, Nadal, Xavi, Mendieta, Luis Enrique, Valeron, Raul, Morientes

South Africa (4-4-2): Arendse, Nzama, A Mokoena, Radebe, Carnell, Fortune, Sibaya, T Mokoena, Zuma, Nomvete, McCarthy

WHO'S HOT

Spain: Raul - All too easy to earmark him as a possible hotshot, but the Real forward could be in for a revenge after a short 98 edition, in which Espana failed to shine. His involvement in the Red Furies first two games of the tournament were a clear sign he was ready to rock on after a successful season (although less spectacular than usual) with Real Madrid.

South Africa: McCarthy and Nomvete. Look out for those two players. They are well known in Spain and Italy but don't have an international reputation that fits their talent. They could be devastating against a veteran like Nadal, whose pace can be compared to, say, a snail.

WHO'S NOT

Spain: Mendieta. His comeback in midfield should not fool anyone: the former Valencia captain is half the man he used to be. His international career has suffered a lot from his poor year at Lazio. This chance Camacho is giving him should be treasured like gold!

South Africa: the Bafana Bafana are all over the moon!

soccerage

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Carson35 said:
World Cup Preview: Spain-South Africa
South Africa - Spain | News Archive

As for Spain, they are one of the only "big guns" (together with Brazil) to have enjoyed a quiet First Round. While the likes of France, Italy or Argentina were sweating to grab their ticket to the next stage, Spain strolled to victory against Slovenia and Paraguay, with a little help from the ref. Those good results will enable coach Camacho to field a second-string team, with the view to rest his key players for the more demanding knock-out stages.

soccerage
These journalists can be such morons. When Spain doesn't do anything in the World Cup. then they always use the favorite word they love to use,"perennial underachievers". And when Spain finally seems to be on track, than they state that it was with a little help from the ref! How we're they helped by the ref???
Let's see , apart from the first game against Slovenia where they we're given a controversial penalty for the challenge on Morientes, that's the only time I saw that the ref might have favoured Spain! Besides it was already at the end of the game and Spain was already leading 2-1. Then as for the Paraguay game, Raul was taken down, pure and simple. Spain won the game 3-1 fair and square. So, where does soccerage get it's stupid ass information from?

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Spain of course want to close the first round perfectly, BUT is their eagerness to stay perfect is as big as eagerness of the African to go to the next round ?

·
94,487 Posts
Spain strengthen squad following Germany victory

MADRID, June 11 (DS) -

Spain manager Jose Antonio Camacho has already made up his mind concerning the Spain line-up for the tomorrow's tie against the Republic of South Africa.
The line-up has the following composition: Casillas; Curro Torres, Helguera, Nadal, Romero; Baraja, Xavi, Mendieta; Raul, Valeron and Morientes.
Thus, Camacho introduced 6 changes in the line-up as compared with the squad he started in the first two matches. Meanwhile the Spanish squad would have had a different composition if Germany had lost today and squandered their chance of continuing their World Cup campaign. Whereas now Camacho's team are to win the group in order to avoid meeting the Germans in the second phase. Meanwhile the major news concerns the tactical scheme, as Camacho looks set to try out a new variant 4-3-2-1.
The Spain manager is set to start Mendieta, who will play in the midfield.
The Spanish team key players Baraja, Raul and Valeron will start in the match despite the fact that the first two players are booked and may miss the next tie if they are shown another yellow card this time around.
Meanwhile the manager will introduce some changes in defence as well. The sole key player to start in tomorrow's match is Nadal. Curro Torres, who will make his debut at the World Cup tomorrow, will play on the right wing, whereas Romero will perform on the left wing.

:cap:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Pretty risky by Camacho to risk both Valeron and Baraja knowing both of them have yellow cards. I dont really care who we face in the round of 16, both Ireland and Germany are tough teams and they kind of play a similar game.

VAMOS LA FURIA !

1 - 20 of 60 Posts