Discussion Starter #1
Tough opener for the Spanish, could they break down Slovenia's tough defense

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Morientes injury scare for Spain

Spain striker Fernando Morientes could miss his country's World Cup opener after twisting his knee during training.

The Real Madrid star hobbled to the sidelines after landing awkwardly during Tuesday's first session. His knee was packed with ice, and it is now feared he could miss the showdown with Slovenia on Sunday.

The team's doctor, however, is not worried about the player's long term involvement in the finals. 'After a preliminary examination it doesn't look too serious,' said Juan Jose Ramos.

'We must be cautious for 24 hours, though, because sometimes with this kind of injury you need that long to tell. If his recovery goes well he should be available for the match against Slovenia.'

Morientes was in obvious pain as he fell to the ground after challenging for the ball with his captain Fernando Hierro. He received treatment at pitch side and was then helped from the field and into the team hotel.

'He's resting now but he could start work in the gym later today and be back on the pitch tomorrow,' Ramos added.

Spain have just four strikers in their squad for the World Cup finals, where they will also face Paraguay and South Africa in the first phase.

Some better injury news for Spain came from Valencia midfielder David Albelda, who joined in full training for the first time since the squad arrived in South Korea and has now almost completely recovered from his groin problem.

'Everything's fine with Albelda,' Ramos confirmed. 'He trained at the same intensity as his colleagues and felt no discomfort.'

BTW...with or without Moro..España takes this one !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Not a very tough defense.Spain must learn to win and tougher defenses.I see Spain for this.

·
International
6,519 Posts
Well, IMO; Spain-Slovenia will end up in a draw 0-0. But let's wait and see.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
No way, this would be no walk for Spain, as it hasn't been for anyone that came to face us. It will be a tough game, a game in wich Spain are favourites, but favourites don't win always. I belive this game can go either way and it can also and up as a draw.
Spain sure has the advantage in experience, experienced players, quality, but we have what I belive very few teams have. We have a heart bigger than all our problems wich we might have. Plus we certainly do posses quality and experience, maybe not in the rang of Spain, but neverthanless!
It will be tough as I said, but I have hope, it's only sporting to have faith and hope, also you allways need some luck to go along with it.
I don't want to predict anything 'couse I never do that, but I have a goog feeling, and I hope for a good result!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
On paper Spain should walk this game. I think, though, that this game is typical of the type of game that has unstuck Spain in previous World Cups. No doubt the Slovenians will battle and work hard but Spain should have enough quality to break them down. I think if Spain can grab an early goal it could be a rowt. The first 20 minutes will be crutial.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spain vs Slovenia is actually very simple match. Slovenia will try to stop their forwards and agressive midfielders, leave some space on the wings to lure the opponents to attack the spaces. The truth is that crosses don't play well against Slovenia, because we have able defenders in air and hardly lose any 1-on-1 in air. If then Spain wings and lateral defenders really push strong, we have some pretty dangerous wings that could truly harm Spain's defence. It is going to be tough for Spain, if it doesn't score in first 20 minutes. Then they will become nervous (as Romanians did) and will force to win the match...and here's our chance.

However, Spain have better players in all positions except in central defenders and we have certainly got a better keeper. This Casillas guy is a shame and he surely will do a mistake or two...I really can't understand how can he play for Real Madrid or Spain's NT.

And just watch for encounter Luis Enrique - Karic. I predict some early showers...

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
There's some questions regarding the left back for the spanish squad.

Camacho is still undecided with either Romero or Fran.

I see Spain winnig 2-0
Tristan & Raul.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Walter BC said:
No way, this would be no walk for Spain, as it hasn't been for anyone that came to face us. It will be a tough game, a game in wich Spain are favourites, but favourites don't win always. I belive this game can go either way and it can also and up as a draw.
Spain sure has the advantage in experience, experienced players, quality, but we have what I belive very few teams have. We have a heart bigger than all our problems wich we might have. Plus we certainly do posses quality and experience, maybe not in the rang of Spain, but neverthanless!
It will be tough as I said, but I have hope, it's only sporting to have faith and hope, also you allways need some luck to go along with it.
I don't want to predict anything 'couse I never do that, but I have a goog feeling, and I hope for a good result!
great post Walter

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
GWANGJU, South Korea, June 1 (AFP)
Key to Spain v Slovenia Group B match Sunday:
- Spanish hopes will depend on whether Deportivo La Coruna's Diego Tristan can continue to find the net after being the Spanish first division's top scorer last season. He has only scored two goals in seven games for Spain.
- All of Spain is still waiting for the prodigiously talented Juan Carlos Valeron to show his skill in a Spanish jersey. The Deportivo striker needs to get more involved in the game than he has done in many of his international outings.
- For Slovenia to triumph they will have to avoid giving Spain too much room to move the ball through the midfield. Slovenia's defensive style, which puts the emphasis on counter-attacking from deep positions, sometimes gives the initiave to teams high on skill and individual abilities.
- Will Slovenian striker Zlatko Zahovic rise to the occasion? He made his name at Euro 2000 but has suffered from a drop in form over the last 12 months after a move from Valencia to Benfica.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
my prediction for this game: spain 2-1 slovenia...should be a close game but spain should win it coz they have better players...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
medved said:
This Casillas guy is a shame and he surely will do a mistake or two...I really can't understand how can he play for Real Madrid or Spain's NT.
a shame? :wth:

Maybe you were born after the CL2000 :rolleyes: , maybe even after the CL 2002 final.

I think Casillas will have a great WC.

·
Registered
966 Posts
How can you say Casillas is a bad keeper? My God, he's a very talented young player and very good:eek:

In what are you based to say that?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
GWANGJU, South Korea, June 1 (AFP)
Spanish coach Jose Antonio Camacho is expected to spring a few surprises on Slovenia in their Group B match here on Sunday, after their last training session on Saturday night.

Camacho held his last get-together under cover of darkness on Saturday, not to disguise his plans but to get the players used to the floodlights at the 43,000 capacity stadium, which will be used for the match.

In a training session which pitted the expected starting 11 against the men likely to be on the bench, Camacho showed that he will be using a 4-3-2-1 formation.

The style is a recent departure from the 4-4-2 tactics he has employed for much of his time as the Spanish national coach since he took over in the role in September 1998.

Camacho indicated that he has opted for the aging central defensive pairing of Real Madrid's Fernando Hierro and Real Mallorca's Miguel Angel Nadal.

Hierro, the Spanish captain is 34 and enjoying his fourth World Cup campaign, while Nadal is two years older and played at both USA 94 and France

However, a criticism often levelled at both men is that they are now too slow for top international contests.

The choice of Nadal will leave Hierro's Real Madrid team mate Ivan Helguera out in the cold.

Helguera, normally a midfielder, was expected to move back into defence as he has done regularly for both club and country, to shore up one of Spain's few weak spots.

At left back, Celta Vigo's Juanfran Garcia should get the nod over Valencia's highly-rated Curro Torres and Camacho's surprise inclusion in the Spanish 23-man squad, Deportivo La Coruna's Enrique Romero.

Camacho also answered the questions about who would form the midifeld trio with Valencia's Ruben Baraja acting as the central playmaker for the first-choice side.

Baraja will be accompanied by Barcelona's Luis Enrique Martinez to his right and Real Sociedad's Javier De Pedro to his left, which means no place for Deportivo's dynamic Sergio Gonzalez.

The attack will be lead by Deportivo's Diego Tristan, with his club mate Juan Carlos Valeron and Real Madrid's Raul Gonzalez alongside last season's leading scorer in the Spanish first division.

By contrast, Slovenia kept their cards close to their chest by holding a closed training session on Saturday.

However, Slovenian coach Srecko Katanec is unlikely to do anything other than stay loyal to the principal players who helped the tiny Alpine country to its first World Cup finals.

"There were a few minor problems, a few players ill, a few were injured - but everyone is healthy now and ready for a battle," said Katanec on Saturday.

The team will be marshalled by the 33 year-old midfielder Ales Ceh, who plys his trade at the Austrian club Grazer AK.
Slovenia's star player is expected to be Benfica's Zlatko Zahovic, who will be even more motivated than most of his compatriots after a single disappointing season in Spain two years ago, when he failed to impress at current champions Valencia

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Even if Casillas is not at his best he is young and have a bright future in front of him.I don't believe he will be the star of Spain but he will not do big mistakes as well;)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts