Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We take our impressive record of not having conceded ia goal in the last 7 games to Brussels where we face a Belgian team that just beat Armenia 2-0. The last goal La Seleccion conceded was to Greece in the last game of the group stages in the Euros so its been a while :thmbup:

Del Bosque is expected to field the same team that started against Estonia which is something like this:

-----------Casillas----------

--Ramos--Puyol--Juanito--Capdevila--

--Cazorla--Xavi--Alonso--Iniesta--

-------Torres---Villa-----

Group Standings:

1 Spain ..................3G 3W 0D 0L 8-0 9P
2 Belgium .................3G 2W 1D 0L 6-3 7P
3 Turkey ...................3G 2W 1D 0L 5-2 7P
4 Bosnia-Herzegovina ....3G 1W 0D 2L 8-3 3P
5 Armenia .....................3G 0W 0D 3L 0-8 0P
6 Estonia .......................3G 0W 0D 3L 2-13 0P

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
are albiol and marchena injured?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Watch out for Dembele tonight from AZ he be on the rampage tonight.A danger to Spain he is

·
Errant Wolf
1,244 Posts
36': 1-1

belgium took the lead, but Iniesta just scored a great goal... nevertheless i don't see us winning this one in the way we are playing... and belgium is playing great... they have great young players.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
we will win, villa will score and then another one will be scored to make the result look like we dominated.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
What a footballing first half that was, nice stuff to watch. Belgium looks very organized as usual and they were very hard to break down. Torres going out was a blessing in disguise as Spain needed an extra man in midfield to create and give Villa the space an freedom upfront, who's positioning was great. Cesc took his opportunity well and assisted Iniesta for a wonderful goal. Reminded me of that Butragueño goal.

Spain need to change their defensive pair as soon as possible though. Puyol maybe continues to be given a chance but Juanito is just awful. Ramos needs to get his act together defensively aswell.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
gol de villa!!! :proud:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we will win, villa will score and then another one will be scored to make the result look like we dominated.
Well said :thmbup:

How many goals in consecutive games is it for Villa now? Everytime Valencia or Spain play he's on the scoresheet.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
How many goals in consecutive games is it for Villa now? Everytime Valencia or Spain play he's on the scoresheet.
The commentator here said that was 13 goals in the last 14 matches. Now I don't know if that includes Valencia, but that's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The commentator here said that was 13 goals in the last 14 matches. Now I don't know if that includes Valencia, but that's pretty impressive.
I honestly thought it would be even more than that :howler:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
No one deserved to lose this one but congrats to Spain. Puyol kept the defense together, and Villa is no doubt the best striker in the world at the moment ;)
No way, man. Spain deserved to win, unless you rate counter-attacking football as high as playing football like the angels. Spain had moments of absolute domination, mainly the last part of each half.

It's evident that Belgium got a boost of confidence with their early goal in their first action in attack. Poor defending, Puyol got misplaced after the first ball into the box and noone covered his back. Credit to Belgium, who played very organized in defense and their counter attacks had sense and were well done.

As someone said before, the injury of Torres was a blessing in disguise. When you put the 3 midgets (Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta) together, Spain do not lose the ball. It's a show, honestly. If I have to say something wrong about Spain, I think they wanted to score the 2nd goal before the first. Sometimes they looked too desperated and there game still had lots of minutes to play. Whenever Spain found a bit of calm, Belgium was closed in their own box.

The first goal of Spain was a piece of art by Iniesta. What a goal. I said it one million times already, he looks like the best Laudrup. He goes with elegancy, head up, the ball tied to the boot, his changes of rythm are lethal and he keeps the calm when most of the players get nervous. The goal was to keep in a video.

The beinning of the second half was not good for Spain, who lost rythm, and Belgium had their best chances, including an action that wasn't offside and could have been the 2nd for them. But soon Spain took the ball again and Belgium started to pay the effort.

In the last 20 minutes, you could see that the goal was about to come. Belgium put their defensive line too near their goalie and Spain haunted their goal. Finally, Güiza was perfect in his assist and, once again, Villa was there to score the goal of the victory.

IMO, deserved victory for the team who tried the most in attack.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
This team shows such a will to win. Many sides playing away to the likes of Belgium who are no pushovers would be content to sit on the 1-1 but not Spain. Impressive.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
This has been a very beautiful game to watch. Belgium has surprised me with an excellent football: great attitude and talent to make it prevail. This victory is a very good result by itself, but after playing against these rivals, it must be duly appreciated. I hope Spain and Belgium will both qualify for the World Cup

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
2,465 Posts
No way, man. Spain deserved to win, unless you rate counter-attacking football as high as playing football like the angels. Spain had moments of absolute domination, mainly the last part of each half.
So do you mean that no clearly weaker side can ever deserve to win unless they outclass their opponent? There is no chance we can pass you off the park, however that doesn't mean we didn't deserve a draw tonight.

You are Spain, a country with a much larger population, in the form of your life and playing some of the best football around today. We're Belgium, small country, haven't played a decent game since 2002 and are a young and inexperienced side. This was never going to be a fair battle. I think based on the game and Fellaini's goal that was clearly not offside, we did not deserve to lose.

It's a consolation to have lost to a team that plays great football rather than one that plays for results though. Good luck in 2010 :thumbsup:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
So do you mean that no clearly weaker side can ever deserve to win unless they outclass their opponent? There is no chance we can pass you off the park, however that doesn't mean we didn't deserve a draw tonight.

You are Spain, a country with a much larger population, in the form of your life and playing some of the best football around today. We're Belgium, small country, haven't played a decent game since 2002 and are a young and inexperienced side. This was never going to be a fair battle. I think based on the game and Fellaini's goal that was clearly not offside, we did not deserve to lose.

It's a consolation to have lost to a team that plays great football rather than one that plays for results though. Good luck in 2010 :thumbsup:
No, Belgium played their cards and, as I said in that post, they did it very well.

Said all this, I prefer to see the plan of football of Spain rather than other ideas of football. Obviously, you have to play according to your resources. It's impossible to play like Spain, if you don't have people like Xavi, Iniesta and the alikes.

In defense of Belgium, I think they did the best they can with their resources. Moreover, I expected it to be easier for Spain, because I thought that Belgium was already a lost case for football, after so many years. It was a good surprise to see Belgium doing as well as they did when I was a kid.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
I know I might be uber critical and its only the first goal Spain have conceded in a long time (since Greece in the last Euro Group stage game IIRC) but I always have more hesitancy when Juanito plays, especially as he doesn't compliment Puyol as much. Marchena is good in the air and can pass reasonably well from the back. Juanito doesn't have that "safe element" as a defender IMO and I think VdB should jsut try to shore the defensive balance up. Luis learnt a lot from the loss to France and recognised the importance of controlling without restricting the fullbacks, I think Del Bosque might need to be a bit more assertive in this area.

But again, this team showed character and another game where they win with a late goal, showing the importance of character and mental strength. I hope it continues and I have to agree with JA about Iniesta, the guy is the most complete player you can find out there right now. Elegant passing, excellent brain, fast feet and good output.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts