Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The game I think is played next midweek. Important test before the Euros. After this there is only one more game and that will be after the squad is already decided... that match is against Belgium. I think it is important Donadoni chooses quite a big squad and even if not everyone can play, he can see them training etc.

I would call these players:

Buffon, Amelia

Oddo, Zambrotta, Panucci, Grosso, Chiellini, Gamberini, Barzagli, Materazzi, Cannavaro

Ambrosini, Perrotta, Aquilani, De Rossi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Montolivo, Camoranesi

Iaquinta, Borriello, Toni, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Del Piero, Cassano

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Unfortunately, Gamberini is injured for 3 weeks. :stress:

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrong time for him to get injured, because this would have been important for him. In any case even though it isnt necessary to replace Gamberini, I would still replace him with Pasqual as a squad member.

·
Banned
174 Posts
The game I think is played next midweek. Important test before the Euros. After this there is only one more game and that will be after the squad is already decided... that match is against Belgium. I think it is important Donadoni chooses quite a big squad and even if not everyone can play, he can see them training etc.

I would call these players:

Buffon, Amelia

Oddo, Zambrotta, Panucci, Grosso, Chiellini, Gamberini, Barzagli, Materazzi, Cannavaro

Ambrosini, Perrotta, Aquilani, De Rossi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Montolivo, Camoranesi

Iaquinta, Borriello, Toni, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Del Piero, Cassano
Bring Curci as well.

Good list Deano. I'd like to add Cassetti and Pasqual to the defense - just for training and observation in case any injuries would set in prior to the cup.

Bring Palladino and Foggia for midfield duties, for similar reasons.

And add Rossi and subtract DP to the forwards. Give him his first cap - he deserves it.

Have an inter-squad friendly...

......................Buffon
Panucci...Gamberini...Materazzi...Cassetti
........Foggia....De Rossi...Aquilani < A modified Roma midfield
..................Montolivo.
............Cassano....Quagliarella

What do you think of Montolivo in this role?

vs

....................Amelia
Oddo....Cannavaro...Barzagli....Pasqual
.......Gattuso....Pirlo....Ambrosini... < The Milan Midfield
...Camoranesi..............Di Natale
....................Toni

A Modified Roma midfield vs a Milan midfield. Buffon has a less qualified defense, with perhaps a more creative attack, while Amelia with a more experienced defensive corps and most of the starters of the team.

Would be interesting to see how they do.

·
Banned
174 Posts
It's such a shame that Cassano had another hissy fit and got suspended for five games since it ruins the whole reason why Donadoni made him wait during the Portugal game; to make him hungrier and to further demonstrate good behavior so a call to the Spain game would have been well deserved. Obviously Cassano wasn't able to control himself in that moment, so the reason for holding him back still stands - poor behavior.

Somehow Cassano believes that if he just shows good form and genius abilities on the field his inclusion will be just a matter of formality, and he clearly doesn't undertand that it is also dependent on his attitude. His attitude can make or break a teams chemistry. Donadoni can't afford that.

Now if Donadoni calls Cassano he'll be sending the message that it doesn't matter that Antonio has bad behavior, he will be selected because of his abilities regardless. This is a double-edged sword.

If Donadoni is to stick to his guns, he won't call Cassano, but then that means Cassano is sh-it out of luck for going to the Euro's unless a miracle happens and he goes through an awakening of sorts realizing what a waste it has been to throw such petty temper tantrums all his life.

The time is now for this guy. He's been given soooo many chances, and is stil living on borrowed time being the genius that he is. He's throwing away golden opportunities.

Can someone not get him a psychologist to work with? He can afford one FFS!!!! Just bite your pride and learn come coping strategies before it's too late!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I wopuld call up the same players as Deano but put Rossi in Del Piero's place and leave Iaquinta at home because simply put, I dont like him :pp:)

------------------Buffon
Oddo----Cannavaro----Barzagli----Zambrotta
-----------------De Rossi
----------Ambrosini-----Pirlo
-----Di Natale---------------Cassano
-------------------Toni

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iaquinta offers alot Marlo... if you ask my opinion his entrance into some World Cup games won it for us... maybe he is not the most skilled, but if we are winning a match, we have no better substitute than him for the last 15-20 mins of games. He gives 100% and he is very very fast... faster than many people care to imagine.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Iaquinta offers alot Marlo... if you ask my opinion his entrance into some World Cup games won it for us... maybe he is not the most skilled, but if we are winning a match, we have no better substitute than him for the last 15-20 mins of games. He gives 100% and he is very very fast... faster than many people care to imagine.
I dont mind him so much if he comes on for Toni for example. But on the wing of a 4-3-3.......no thanks, we have better options

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well lets nor forget he played RW against Germany and gave Lahm a very hard time, even stopped the German FB from coming forward.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Well lets nor forget he played RW against Germany and gave Lahm a very hard time, even stopped the German FB from coming forward.

I would rather have Di Natale, Camoranesi, Cassano or even Quagliarella on the RW

I know I give Iaquinta hard time........I just can't stand seeing him on the RW! I know he is useful but I wouldn't bring him to the Euro's

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Iaquinta is slightly better than Quagliarella on the RW.... when Quags is in attack he is so much more useful than on the wing.

·
Banned
174 Posts
True, and he can dribble quite well. He was owning Lahm in the Germany game and spreading the German defense very thin with his pace late in the game. He's well suited to a late entry role and he's proving it with Juve scoring timely goals. I bet he gets a few in the Euro's.

He should definitely be there as a sub IMO.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Apparently Buffon is in doubt due to back issues and Amelia is out for a few weeks with a sprained ankle. So it looks like we're going to have to go to #3, but who?

Toldo - didn't he retire internationally?
Fontana - OK he's 100yo, but is playing each week...
Sereni - playing each week, might deserve it
Curci - back up to Doni, but could probably be the #3 regardless
Abbiati - after his outburst a few weeks back directed at Donadoni for not calling him, his chances have got to be nil
De Sanctis - back up in Spain, probably out of the running these days

What are the chances of getting Pagluica out of retirement? Does anyone have Zenga's number too? ;)

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would call Sereni and Abbiatti.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Apparently Buffon is in doubt due to back issues and Amelia is out for a few weeks with a sprained ankle. So it looks like we're going to have to go to #3, but who?

Toldo - didn't he retire internationally?
Fontana - OK he's 100yo, but is playing each week...
Sereni - playing each week, might deserve it
Curci - back up to Doni, but could probably be the #3 regardless
Abbiati - after his outburst a few weeks back directed at Donadoni for not calling him, his chances have got to be nil
De Sanctis - back up in Spain, probably out of the running these days

What are the chances of getting Pagluica out of retirement? Does anyone have Zenga's number too? ;)
*Cough* Carlo Cudicini *Cough* :smileani: Very underrated keeper, he deserves a chance to prove himself.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Good call. Weren't the English trying to naturalize him at one point?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Good call. Weren't the English trying to naturalize him at one point?
Yes, but I think he turned them down. He probably couldn't stand the thought of losing all the time in the England jersey.

I doubt Donadoni will pay much attention to Cudicini since Cudicini plays in England. It's a shame really.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Yes, but I think he turned them down. He probably couldn't stand the thought of losing all the time in the England jersey.

I doubt Donadoni will pay much attention to Cudicini since Cudicini plays in England. It's a shame really.
You're probably right. Italy is in need of keepers right now, he should come back but it's probably too late at 34 years of age, though keepers have a longer shelf life. Milan need to upgrade their keeper situation and while youth is ideal...well...Kalac as backup? Surely Cudicini could be coaxed into playing for the club his father played for, no?

1 - 20 of 232 Posts