Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even realize we had a friendly against Spain on Wednesday [11th February, 2100 GMT].

This should be a real test to see how far England has actually come under Don Fabio.

So what do you think our squad is gonna look like?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Our squad:

England squad:
Goalkeepers: Green (West Ham), Hart (Man City), James (Portsmouth).

Defenders: Bridge (Man City), A Cole (Chelsea), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham), L Young (Villa).

Midfielders: Beckham (LA Galaxy), Barry (Villa), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Villa), Wright-Phillips (Man City), A Young (Villa).

Forwards: Agbonlahor (Villa), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Portsmouth), Heskey (Villa).

Pretty decent, obvious problem are the strikers. Bulletproof Beckham in as usual, will play when he is 90... don't care if he is in a purple patch... will that continue all the way to Africa? Doubt it, but "this time it will be different". Capello at least picks on form, with Jagielka getting a deserved nod, Lescott unlucky to miss out, rather him than Young who is useless. Baines could have been called up too. Carrick and Lampard should start, both in good form.

As to the strikers, Heskey... I just don't get it. I really don't. James fvcking Beattie has something like 15 goals this season compared to Heskey's like four. Knows how to hold the ball up too. Crouch is pure shit. Play kids who have no fear and more talent. Cole deserved a callup, was always great for the U21's. Still, you look at those names and bar maybe gabby its pretty fvcking poor. Big gulf in class to Rooney, Owen and names before like Teddy and Shearer.

I would play:

---------------------Green

---Johnson---Ferdinand---Terry----Bridge

-----------Carrick---Lampard---Barry

--------SWP---------Gabby------Young

Gonna get owned I think, when you look at the form of the spanish players and how well they have been playing in general.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
We shouldn't even be playing in that country again.

As for the squad, pretty standard. Hart's last chance of a cap for 4 years unless Given is injured.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I agree Green, why should we send our players to that place just to get racially abused.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I'm really not sure what to think. I don't want to see it happen, but at the same time I want to see Spain get what's coming to them for allowing it. I guess I'm thinking the former as UEFA will only fine them 300 Euros

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Whats the big deal? Pretty much all our players have been to spain since with their clubs, and they agreed to not host in Madrid as they normally do. Should be fine.

Luani - Because they played in England last time.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to see Jags get a call up. He's been great for Everton and I would even start him alongside Ferdinand. We know how good Terry/Ferdinand partnership is, lets have a look how Jags can fit in there in if one of them is absent.

We look pretty toothless up front.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I really hope we destroy them tbh. The last time we played there is was a shambles, both on and off the pitch.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
So whats your lineup guys?

Can't believe how little England discussion there is these days, we actualy have a world class amanager and have played 'good' football for once in our generation. I actually have hope for this team! You'd think that would attract more discussion. Miserable bastards. :D

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Whats the big deal? Pretty much all our players have been to spain since with their clubs, and they agreed to not host in Madrid as they normally do. Should be fine.

The big deal is that they never even apologised for the abuse. Worse still most Spanish fans and pundits accused the English of being melodramatic. This is a national organisation that refuses to acknowledge racism as a problem. This is the national body that when criticised by the Coalition Against Racism for their conduct cut all their funding to them.

We should sever any ties we have with such an organisation and I feel taking such a stance would send a strong message.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
So whats your lineup guys?

Can't believe how little England discussion there is these days, we actualy have a world class amanager and have played 'good' football for once in our generation. I actually have hope for this team! You'd think that would attract more discussion. Miserable bastards. :D
Not really sure, we won't be dicking around against Spain thats for sure. We'll play a strong side. Maybe this:

----------------James
Johnson----Terry-----Ferdinand---A.Cole
--------Carrick--Barry--Lampard
SWP-----------Heskey--------Young

Our attacking options are so limited without Cole, Gerrard, Rooney and Owen.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts

My bad, I thought it was in Spain.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
The big deal is that they never even apologised for the abuse. Worse still most Spanish fans and pundits accused the English of being melodramatic. This is a national organisation that refuses to acknowledge racism as a problem. This is the national body that when criticised by the Coalition Against Racism for their conduct cut all their funding to them.

We should sever any ties we have with such an organisation and I feel taking such a stance would send a strong message.
Our FA wouldn't apologise for our idiot fans either, at the WC we had idiots causing trouble but it isn't our fault, its theirs.... we can only do our best to stop it. The spanish FA haven't done their best true, but thats down to FIFA. They had the chance to set an example and failed miserably. We'd look like proper mugs saying we won't play in spain if they end up winning the 2018 bid.

If we wanted to make a statement that people would notice, our players should have walked off the pitch. We have to play them at some point either way so may as well push ahead, and like I said we can just walk off the pitch if we have the balls. FIFA will be FORCED to make a decision, punish us for walking off the pitch over racist abuse and incur the wrath of the EU most likely... or punish spain heavily.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
------------------Green----------------

Johnson----Terry----Ferdinand----Cashley

---------Lampard------Carrick-----------

Downing------------------------A.Young

---------Heskey--Agbonlahor-----------

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Green

Johnson - Ferdinand - Jagielka - Cashley

SWP - Carrick - Lampard - Young

Heskey - Agbonlahor​

Jags have dealt with Torres pretty comfortably on more than one occasions and I'm sure he's pretty capable of doing it again.

We are very short of attacking options though.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If we can get a result with this weakened team i will be very hopeful for next year.

Good test against the number 1 team atm.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
As long as you don´t accuse us for being "racist" to begin with (as happened after Aragonés talk to Reyes) there wouldn´t be any problem. We have played against many team with black players on the pitch, and even have one of our own (Senna), without these kinds of incidents.

You should calm down and focus on the game instead. We have already postponed the game in Madrid to fulfil your demands.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts