Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Only Ukraine is stronger, if they've got a good day versus Spain they can finish first in this group, Saudi-Arabia and Tunisia are very weak.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Knoert said:
Only Ukraine is stronger, if they've got a good day versus Spain they can finish first in this group, Saudi-Arabia and Tunisia are very weak.
Yep, but we have the psychological edge on Ukraine, since we beat them at Ukraine 2-0 in the most recent match against them.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
CorazonMerengue said:
Yep, but we have the psychological edge on Ukraine, since we beat them at Ukraine 2-0 in the most recent match against them.
Was that an official match or a friendly?

Ukraine really impressed me, very well organized, always waiting for the counter and they're deadly with Sheva up front... and don't underestiminate their other players... they're almost all quality.

And don't forget, untill their official qualification (they were the second European team, after Germany...) they were unbeaten in their group.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Actually I think that Tunisia is the team to watch for, not so much Ukraine. Of course any team on any given day could give us problems, but I think Ukraine is too built around one player, Shevchenko. Tunisia also won the CAF African Cup of Nations in 2004. They have also recently lost only 1-0 to Serbia and defeated Ghana in January 2-0. Also they lost in the quarterfinals of the this years African Nations Cup in penalties to a strong Nigerian side. They are definately not to be taken lightly. This may be the team to give us problem. Saudi Arabia doesn't worry me. I think overall Spain should go through without too many problems if we stick to our style of play and don't get too nervous. If we don't make it through this would be Spain's worst underachieving crash from a tournament since 1982.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Well I saw Tunisia on Eurosport at the Africa Cup in February, and I can't say they impressed me, not that they were bad, they were beaten in the quater finals versus Nigeria, just bad luck in the penalty shoot-out, but they're certainly of a lower level then Spain, and Ukraine. But of course... remember the WC 2002, anything is possible nowadays :rolleyes:

They've got good players like Trabelsi, Namouchi and Jaziri... and that Brazilian up front Dos Santos.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Knoert said:
Was that an official match or a friendly?
If I am not wrong, I think it was a qualifier for the Euro 2004. They were in the same group with us and Greece. But I still wouldn't take them all lightly. I don't think we will in all honesty. I am sure Luis Aragones has programmed this into the players heads.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Of course, anything less than that is a failure.

If we lose to Brasil in QF then it would be alright, within expectations.

Anything more than that would be a plus.

I am starting to actually wonder wether finishing 2nd would be better for us, that way we avoid Brasil until a later round...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
L-Pheno said:
Of course, anything less than that is a failure.

If we lose to Brasil in QF then it would be alright, within expectations.

Anything more than that would be a plus.

I am starting to actually wonder wether finishing 2nd would be better for us, that way we avoid Brasil until a later round...
No! We should actually consider playing Brazil as the MAIN option. For that point of view we would be, in no matter what circumstances, rated as the underdogs. That would be perfect for us though i sense we could win that game, im serious having a great feeling for it too.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
IlPrincipe said:
No! We should actually consider playing Brazil as the MAIN option. For that point of view we would be, in no matter what circumstances, rated as the underdogs. That would be perfect for us though i sense we could win that game, im serious having a great feeling for it too.
So true. We would not be expected to win that match. But I somehow don't think the Brazilians would take us lightly.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
CorazonMerengue said:
So true. We would not be expected to win that match. But I somehow don't think the Brazilians would take us lightly.
With Gilberto at midfield, a laughing Roberto Carlos and Roque Jr as a central defender they can´t take any teams lightly :howler:

Seriously...

I think in another way aswell. Playing against Brazil (and playing well too) is the perhaps greatest test from your OWN teams point of view from were we are in terms of talent out there. Many teams would play against Brazil in a disciplined fashion lacking the display of their own unleashed skill in the footballing areas (attacking, the overall impression, the greatness of football).

If we would take Brazil down to the wire, even if we lose, then we would have showed to the world that we actually deserves being up there - footballing wise i mean we still lacking the history - mentioned with the best.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
2nd round only??? we will win the world cup !!!! :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts