Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spain coach Luis Aragones has created more controversy in the race row engulfing his position by labelling Jose Antonio Reyes a 'gypsy'.

Aragones was attempting to clarify his comments which sparked outrage when he referred to Thierry Henry in a racially derogatory manner.

Aragones is already facing disciplinary action from the Spanish FA (RFEF) over those remarks, and the outburst prior to England's game in Spain when he blasted England's colonial past.

However, he could now face further censure after describing Reyes as a 'gypsy' in trying to explain himself.

"Reyes is ethnically a gypsy, I have got a lot of gypsy and black friends, I consider myself a citizen of the world, I don't care about their skin colour," he told El Mundo.

"All I did was to motivate the gypsy by telling him he was better than the black.

"I feel I have been the victim of a lynching. All I did was try to motivate Reyes comparing him with Henry and making him see that he was better.

"I didn't use the term `black' with any racist meaning.

"I'm not going to forget what's happened.

"A section of the press in this country [Spain] has lynched me and I will not forget that my family have had a very bad time as a consequence of this."

Arsenal are understood to be unhappy at Aragones' latest outburst but do not plan to take any formal action.

However, the veteran coach is sure to now face widespread condemnation and could find his position under further threat.

LMAO!!!!!

NOT THAT I AM RACIST, BUT THIS DUDE NEEDS HIS HEAD EXAMINED.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
He needs to be kicked for his position as coach of the Spanish NT and banned from football for life, he has just about lost any respect he had left as a human being.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Actually, Reyes is a gypsy... so what? There are a lot of gypsies in Spain... what is wrong with what he said now?? :confused:

I think that he should have apologized publically, instead of trying to explain what was impossible to explain and his main mistake is that he does it again and again. He's under investigation in Spain and we're waiting for the results of it.

In any case, you're a little bit oversensitive, IMO. Luis Aragonés is well known in Spain and, trust me, he's not a racist, and I'm not a fool who says this out of nowhere. Players like Samuel Eto'o, Finidi George, Benjamín and other black players that have worked with him say so.

The problem is the differences between Spanish and other languages. The expression "lo que sea DE MIERDA" (shitty whatever) is very common in a vulgar conversation. I can be with a friend and I can call him: "Madridista de mierda" (shitty madridista) or "******* de mierda" (shitty gay) or "***** de mierda" (shitty black), without any bad intention. As you see, it's not a nice expression, it's very vulgar... but this kind of expression is very common when you're joking with a friend. And YES, they're expressions that should disappear from our language, but come on, every language have bad words and bad expressions.

It's really difficult to explain it, if you don't DOMINATE Spanish. Luis Aragones' expression that day didn't have a racist intention, I'm sure of that. On the other hand, this expression is very vulgar and it appeared in all the TVs around the world. He tried to explain which was the intention and the Spanish people understood him perfectly. But he CAN NOT try to explain a foreigner why he used that expression.

IMO, he should have say: "I am sorry, I know that I used the wrong words. I want to apologize to Henry and anyone who feels affected by my words. The only thing that I can say, it is that I didn't have any racist intention". He would have finished with all this thing since the first moment. But he tried to explain which is really difficult to explain, if you don't dominate the Spanish slang and then the Spanish and the British press began to throw stones from one side to the other. I blame him because he could have stopped it since the first moment and I blame him because he continues trying to explain it. C'mon... he should finish with it, he should travel to London to talk with Henry and everything solved... but there's too much pride.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Xabi_Alonso said:
what he needs to do is shut up, stop talking to the press and do his job, coach.
Very true... but there are 4 daily football newspapers everyday, besides the rest of the media, and they demand the interviews and if you don't accept them, they "kill" you.

I recommend you to read an interview with Mourinho in the Barcelona forum. He was in Barça 3 years and he talks about the differences between the sport press in England and Spain. Maybe it helps you to understand what I am saying.

In any case, you're right, Luis talks too much, he's too polemic and this time the bomb explode in his hands, even if he didn't have a bad intention. There are other coaches much more smart, who talk with the press without saying anything. Besides, Luis knows that he's the coach of the NT and he should know that his responsability is bigger.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Just read Koeman's post, it explains it perfectly.

And since when is calling somebody a gypsy considered racist? Wasnt Alaadin a gypsy too? :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Time to stop digging, Luis. :howler:

·
Registered
786 Posts
:):) he is a luagh!!! strange character

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I feel bad for him because non of this is his intention.

Maybe we need a crazy bastard like him to win a WC!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
an that lil girl who won the childrens eurovision... you better know she a gypsy too

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Reyes WAS a gypsy. what he said was not incorrect. But the way he referred to Henry as "the Black" is disgusting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts