Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ive been following Italian football more intensely over the last year and i want to follow one of the southern clubs because should i ever visit or hypothetically live i prefer the down to earth underdogs over the smug north, so with that i have a few teams that have caught my eye but trying to find decent in depth info on the cities and clubs and mos important the fans of the clubs is a little dry on google so i wanted to throw it out on here and see what comes back.

Obviously Napoli are the stand out team but they would be to easy at the moment so i want one of the more obscure ones, the few that appeal to me are

Lecce- Love the badge, very good support considering there in Lega pro and i liked there bullish spirit when they were in serie A, Cons- Lecce from what i read seems a bit of a sleepy town but i could be wrong i want more of a buzz around club, Also Kit is ugly

Catania- I originally was attracted to Palermo but got a bit swayed to the other side, there the underdog of the underdog and there fans seem mental, awful stadium though, lovely looking city and people i have heard

Bari- The wildcard- World class stadium and they actually filled it once for promotion game so fanbase potential is massive, Cons- The Cockeral is a shit emblem is like supporting the chickens

Any decent info on any of these clubs would be appreciated as i like them all but i need to pick one really and adopt them
thanks

·
Registered
29,178 Posts
Clearly a bot. :D Just kidding.

Why would you choose a life of agony? Any succes is bound to be followed by a rapid descent - demosion due to financial irregularities or match fixing.

San Nicola was a colossal mistake, comparable in many ways to Ceausescu's gigantic palace. I am nostalgic about it though, as I am with many of the clubs.. Lecce, Foggia, Bari, Salernitana, Avellino..

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Hi,

Ive been following Italian football more intensely over the last year and i want to follow one of the southern clubs because should i ever visit or hypothetically live i prefer the down to earth underdogs over the smug north, so with that i have a few teams that have caught my eye but trying to find decent in depth info on the cities and clubs and mos important the fans of the clubs is a little dry on google so i wanted to throw it out on here and see what comes back.

Obviously Napoli are the stand out team but they would be to easy at the moment so i want one of the more obscure ones, the few that appeal to me are

Lecce- Love the badge, very good support considering there in Lega pro and i liked there bullish spirit when they were in serie A, Cons- Lecce from what i read seems a bit of a sleepy town but i could be wrong i want more of a buzz around club, Also Kit is ugly

Catania- I originally was attracted to Palermo but got a bit swayed to the other side, there the underdog of the underdog and there fans seem mental, awful stadium though, lovely looking city and people i have heard

Bari- The wildcard- World class stadium and they actually filled it once for promotion game so fanbase potential is massive, Cons- The Cockeral is a shit emblem is like supporting the chickens

Any decent info on any of these clubs would be appreciated as i like them all but i need to pick one really and adopt them
thanks
lol, you could support any club out of Napoli for any reason. In fact you will be very likely disappointed if you are waiting for consistent results whomever you choose to support. There is a reason if the people from the south of Italy who are not from Napoli support first of all Juve, Inter or Milan, then the club from their own city/town. :D
If "visiting" the place in the future has an incidence then I suggest a Sicilian club or Lecce. I don't know what you mean by "sleepy". I have lived for a long time in Lecce with my wife (when we were not married yet) and it's a great place to live in from pretty much every point of view for young people (unless you are looking for a job there!). I love Lecce but Gallipoli, Otranto and pretty much all Salento is great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What i meant by sleepy is from the videos and pictures ive seen is very serene lots of people walking around looking at the buildings and such and it didnt have much of an edge, as i said purely based on a few youtube vidoes. There support however seems very boisterous, which adds to the appeal.

Its that aspect of the Southern teams that appeal most to me, if comparing to English football you would pick out Newcastle, or Bilbao in Spain where the whole town gets behind the team and are i hate the expression '12th man' Its the fact that they get big support regardless of results which is romantic to mean and in a poll i seen that Catania and Lecce are both top 12 in Italy for number of supporters.

So if Italian football ever does get its act together and comes and there is money in the game again then the potential of these clubs are huge (in my opinion)

It is easy to support a Juventus or Milan you have nothing to worry about is just auto pilot, with the ugly teams there is a bond despite the results and the fans will the team on the be greater than the sum of their parts, so if and is big if the team on the field matches the passion of the stands then you have a formula for electric, at least in an idealistic world

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Toni, don't you mean Puglia is great? Those towns are all in Puglia.
Salento is the southern part of Puglia.
I wouldn't suggest Foggia at all, for example, for a lot of reasons. That said, inside the Capitanata (the nothern part of Puglia) there are not just ugly places like Foggia. The Promontorio del Gargano is wonderful for example.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
What i meant by sleepy is from the videos and pictures ive seen is very serene lots of people walking around looking at the buildings and such and it didnt have much of an edge, as i said purely based on a few youtube vidoes.
Gallipoli, which is a wonderful place not far from Lecce, on the seaside, contrarily to Lecce, has become a bit too much transgressive for my taste tbh.

Its that aspect of the Southern teams that appeal most to me, if comparing to English football you would pick out Newcastle, or Bilbao in Spain where the whole town gets behind the team and are i hate the expression '12th man' Its the fact that they get big support regardless of results which is romantic to mean and in a poll i seen that Catania and Lecce are both top 12 in Italy for number of supporters.

So if Italian football ever does get its act together and comes and there is money in the game again then the potential of these clubs are huge (in my opinion)

It is easy to support a Juventus or Milan you have nothing to worry about is just auto pilot, with the ugly teams there is a bond despite the results and the fans will the team on the be greater than the sum of their parts, so if and is big if the team on the field matches the passion of the stands then you have a formula for electric, at least in an idealistic world
The difference being that in Bilbao and Newcastle the supporters do not support Real Madrid or Manchester United in most of cases and attendances are pretty high. The people who live in southern Italy in most of cases support Juve-Inter-Milan first of all. Then, only then, the club of their own place. If Juve-Inter-Milan needed 3 points in a game vs the club of their own place they would have no doubts on the club who should win the game.
The average attendance for the games of Bari is 16,000-17,000, which is good for serie B standards (it's the highest average attendance in this season), but it's ugly for European standards, because the population of Bari is over 300,000 and there is over 1 million more people living in the città metropolitana. What is the average attendance of an English Championship club? 20,000 considering Burton Albion, who are from Burton upon Trent, which is smaller than towns like Bitonto or Molfetta, in the città metropolitana di Bari.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Gallipoli, which is a wonderful place not far from Lecce, on the seaside, contrarily to Lecce, has become a bit too much transgressive for my taste tbh.
Can you tell more about what's happening with Gallipoli?

For a Sicilian team, I'd go with Palermo. The city is more charming than Catania, the stadium is better and they will have better support once the situation settles. Now it's a mess with nobody going to the stadium but with a new owner (someday) the fans will come back. I went to a Palermo-Lazio game once and the atmosphere was very good.

Otherwise, if Napoli is not an option, I'd go with Bari. There's enough to do in the city if you visit and although San Nicola is insanely too big, at least they have fans.

Although Calabria and Puglia are definitely underrated travelling destinations, the problem with most towns is that there's not much to do after a while. So if travelling to games is something you'd look forward to doing, I'd pretty much choose from Napoli, Bari and Palermo. Or perhaps a team close to Napoli, like Benevento, Avellino or Lotito's Salernitana. With Benevento you'd get that nice witch emblem, too. ;)

·
Registered
29,178 Posts
I would rather compare Mezzogiorno with Andalucia and Extremadura (and Portugal :D) than with the Basque Country. They have their 3-4 somewhat supported clubs, and Seville can be compared with Naples, but in general it's mostly about Barca and Madrid.

·
Registered
29,178 Posts
Hey why not pick Cagliari? Nice place, somewhat historic and followed club, "Southern".. They're even getting a new stadium finally it seems.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I can second that! Nice town, a well-supported team and with the new stadium I expect them to become midtable regulars in Serie A.

Plus you'd get the travelling bonus of going to Sardegna, which is an amazing place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has become a sort of Rimini of the south of Italy. Read: "puttanaio"
What happened to Rimini?

With Regards to Sardinia it has too much going for it, they seem just cut off from all the BS of the mainland and is basically an island catering to honeymooners, also they hate foreigners, which isn't a bad thing but considering i am one it could be a problem

Palermo is one that does appeal to me, the atmosphere is one of the best i've seen over there, they have one of the best youth set ups, spot players like Cavani and Dybala and i actually like the chairman he comes out with few one liners, the only thing that puts me off them is the multiculteral and Arabic feel of the city,

It seems strange what i am trying to ask for really, it is like i am trying to find a goldilocks not just club but town,(if such place even exists) I really like Fiorentina and Parma but the quality of life of the people is too great they are spoiled and don't understand true hardship, on the flip side i don't want too much grim poverty, just a working class town with charm, i know i am weird and picky thing is i love them all i have been as much interested in Lecce Vs Catania in Serie C as i have with Napoli Vs Juve.

Quickly back to Samperi just what is the deal with him, is he just volatile and care too much or is he a dick?

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
With Regards to Sardinia it has too much going for it, they seem just cut off from all the BS of the mainland and is basically an island catering to honeymooners, also they hate foreigners, which isn't a bad thing but considering i am one it could be a problem
Nah, they feel like they are something different from Italy and they are proud of it, but they are very hospitable people.

Palermo is one that does appeal to me, the atmosphere is one of the best i've seen over there, they have one of the best youth set ups, spot players like Cavani and Dybala and i actually like the chairman he comes out with few one liners, the only thing that puts me off them is the multiculteral and Arabic feel of the city
The Palermo of Dybala and Cavani doesn't exist any more. Zamparini is not going to invest a single euro in it.

It seems strange what i am trying to ask for really, it is like i am trying to find a goldilocks not just club but town,(if such place even exists) I really like Fiorentina and Parma but the quality of life of the people is too great they are spoiled and don't understand true hardship, on the flip side i don't want too much grim poverty, just a working class town with charm, i know i am weird and picky thing is i love them all i have been as much interested in Lecce Vs Catania in Serie C as i have with Napoli Vs Juve.
working class town in Southern Italy? lol, it's an oxymoron!

Quickly back to Samperi just what is the deal with him, is he just volatile and care too much or is he a dick?
The director? :howler:

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Plenty of hard-working people in Florence beyond the tourist facade. Parma is boring. Palermo isn't really very multicultural and Sardinians are very hospitable toward foreigners in my experience.

I guess that about covers it for now. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The difference being that in Bilbao and Newcastle the supporters do not support Real Madrid or Manchester United in most of cases and attendances are pretty high. The people who live in southern Italy in most of cases support Juve-Inter-Milan first of all. Then, only then, the club of their own place. If Juve-Inter-Milan needed 3 points in a game vs the club of their own place they would have no doubts on the club who should win the game.
The average attendance for the games of Bari is 16,000-17,000, which is good for serie B standards (it's the highest average attendance in this season), but it's ugly for European standards, because the population of Bari is over 300,000 and there is over 1 million more people living in the città metropolitana. What is the average attendance of an English Championship club? 20,000 considering Burton Albion, who are from Burton upon Trent, which is smaller than towns like Bitonto or Molfetta, in the città metropolitana di Bari

Just re read my old thread from about a year ago and realized i have not much greater knowledge than i did before haha, that is a shame to know that about Juve Milan being the first choice i thought the tribal South vs North was so strong that it would be considered treason, very disappointing.

Good shout from whoever said about the andalucian Naples link i agree Betis came on to my radar and that is what i am talking about how to support a team, 40,000 fanatical fans i guess my original question is a bit futile as you get sections of fans like that in every club but the Napoli, betis Boca ect are exceptions it seems in terms of a united city

Quick question off topic ive throw this out a few times around internet but never get a decent answer, can anyone tell me why Cassano never went back to Bari, last couple of seasons he's been linked with bang average teams of similar standing but why never go home to a heroes welcome and get them over the line to serie A, they finish play off every year (untill this year i know) but he could have ripped that league apart and what a romantic way to end your career rather than at a random club like virtus or verona seems strange to me was a no brainer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts