·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winner can start booking tickets to the next round:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
First I like Portugal, then I'm an Asian, so...

Go Korea Go!!!:fero:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Now, the question is whether USA should use the starting lineup from today, or put in fresher Claudio Reyna and Clint Mathis?

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Now, now, let's not get carried away! A great win you had today, but you've got a much tougher task ahead of you. Korea will have the support of the capacity crowd plus the hosts always get small favours from the refs.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
No one has said that US will beat Korea. As a matter of fact, I would personally give Korea an edge, not because of home crowd (they don't play on the field), but Korea has a great coach and their players are super fit!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I believe Germany is also awfully fit, strong and fast..:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Should be a cracker

This should be a cracking game. First of all congratulations to the US for their win. More than anything I was impressed by how composed the US were when they were up 3-2 with 5 minutes to go. They were dominant and never let portugal play their natural game.
Korea totally dominated poland aswell, and though the score was only 2-0, it could easily have been 4 or 5-0 had it not been for dudek.
If both teams decide to go for broke and play the attractive attacking football I saw from them in their first games, this will be one of the games of the tournament.
I predict a 2-2 draw, with the game being played end to end with many chances.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Korea has a very fast attack, while our backline isn't going to win any footraces. We have some fast attackers of our own, but I think McBride will be the key against their defense which isn't the strongest in the air.

Overall though, I think Korea has the edge due to the crowd, and also their coach. Hiddink won't make the tactical errors Oliveira made, and you can be sure his team is going to be fully prepared for anything we throw at them.

I'm hoping for a draw, which I think is as realistic as a Korean win. I don't think we'll beat them, but I do think we can beat Poland, especially since Portugal's sure to bounce back and beat them, leaving them no chance whatsoever to progress, which will leave us in a must-win match against a demoralized squad.

Interestingly, if we lose against Korea and Portugal beats Poland, the table will look like this:

Korea 2 0 0 6
USA 1 0 1 3
Portugal 1 0 1 3
Poland 0 0 2 0

And then if we beat Poland and Portugal beats Korea

Korea 2 0 1 6
USA 2 0 1 6
Portugal 2 0 1 6
Poland 0 0 3 0

This is a very realistic scenario, in my mind. And very interesting. So basically I'm praying for a draw against Korea. If we can do that, we can qualify. Otherwise it's a messy goals differential situation, which I'm sure nobody wants. Except probably Portugal.

And if we somehow miraculously come out on top of our group, we would avoid Italy and face (probably) Mexico instead. Wouldn't that be a lovely dream...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I'm rooting for the US to beat South Korea and to beat Poland as well. And if Portugal beats Poland and South Korea then they will advance. Even if they beat Poland and ties South Korea, it would be decided on goal differential which may favour the Portuguese.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Hero Stewart doubtful for Korea clash

Thursday 6th June 2002

USA skipper Earnie Stewart looks set to miss his side's next Group D game against South Korea after picking up a groin injury during the historic win over Portugal.

"It's still too early to tell," said coach Bruce Arena. "It's not likely he'll play but we'll see. The injury is less than 24 hours old, but who knows. He's day-to-day."

Stewart was replaced in the second half of Wednesday's stunning 3-2 victory by former Coventry midfielder Cobi Jones but Arena refused to confirm whether he would make the same change should his captain lose his race for fitness.

Meanwhile, striker Brian McBride has admitted there will be little time for celebration in the coming days despite the team having recorded arguably the greatest result in the USA's history.

"Yesterday was for one day only," he said. "We got to enjoy it last night and now it's back to business."

onefootball

·
Registered
120 Posts
US looks like the stronger team at this point. Korea is also in a streak, but the one thing they have going is the home crowd.

Compared in terms of skill, the US is clearly the better team. In last December's friendly, the Koreans were able to defeat the US, though both teams were sending "test" players. The US defeated Korea in the Gold Cup at home in January, a bit understaffed, but at a tournament setting.

This is for all the marbles, and maybe a ticket to the second round. The Koreans have their best, the Americans have their best. It's still going to be a hard fought game.

However, in a game where height is going to be the factor instead of skill expect the US to win this game. Maybe a tie, but the miracle of Korea isn't going to happen.

Still, in a game where even Senegal defeated France and the US topping Portugal, anything can happen.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
Now, the question is whether USA should use the starting lineup from today, or put in fresher Claudio Reyna and Clint Mathis?
If Bruce Arena wants his squad to qualify to the next round then he has to start Claudio Reyna. Reyna is simply the smartest and most technical player in the US. I would still keep McBride and Donovan as starters and bring in Clint Mathis in the second half. There is no question that Korea is compose of bionic men, their physical fitness is impecable. However football is not just about running hard for 90 minutes. This is a hard one to call S.Korea has thedge with a better coach, home field and their fitness. The US is more technical and they are also very fit. Again I am rooting for the US to win but something tells me this may be a draw (2-2 maybe)

When will the most beautiful game in the world be embraced by Americans? :confused:

Go U.S.A Go!!! :excited:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
If anyone knows how to stop the Koreans its the teams in Concacaf..

USA takes the 3 points again !!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
i'm predicting a 2-1 win for South Korea, the whole stadium is gunno be full of South Korean supporters dress in red, that in itself will intimiate any team, plus anyways, South Korea has too much class, compare to USA, and the only reason USA beat Portugal was because Portugal played poorly

·
Registered
470 Posts
Alarich said:
i'm predicting a 2-1 win for South Korea, the whole stadium is gunno be full of South Korean supporters dress in red, that in itself will intimiate any team, plus anyways, South Korea has too much class, compare to USA, and the only reason USA beat Portugal was because Portugal played poorly
..and the USA defence made mistakes.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I'm very impressed and also a bit surprised by the Korean fans. They're not like what we're used to in Europe, but that doesn't mean they're bad. It's just a different way of cheering and supporting at a football match. In some periods of the match they're quiet, but others they're just so noisy and cheerful. It's unbevievable! I also like the way the dress up for the matches. Very colorful :jester:.

Well back to the match it self. IT's to teams full of confidence and it's not like one of them are huge favourites or any thing, except maybe Korea because of the home advantage. Therefore I'm on a Korea win after a very entertaining match, with maybe a bunch of goals :).

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Marco Golo said:

..and the USA defence made mistakes.
Well if the defense plays the way they did against Portugal, I really don't think that they get more then one goal in. Friedel is a solid goalkeeper, and it does not seem as if the Koreans have that much firepower. Moreover, we have a very well-conditionned team.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts