Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Italy (PKs)

Votes: 1 3.2%
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Koreans have played well but beating the Italians wil be a tall order. Italy has looked inconsistent and surprisingly vulnerable in the back, but IMO they will take it to the next level for this game. It will be close though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So typical of Italy, did relatively bad during the group stage, in the end they'll somehow squeeze into the final. :)
Though this time there is no guarantee at all. :)

I've been reading some of the posts in some other forums and it seems that many people want it badly for Trap to play the tridente Vieri-DP-Totti. I wonder why. :confused:

·
Registered
48,452 Posts
South Korea is one of my fav teams of this WC, I like the way they play (and I don't like the way Italy plays :rolleyes: ). Yet, I'm Italian and of course I support my team.
I think that if Trap don't chose the following players he is stupid:
Buffon - Panucci, Nesta, Maldini :)rolleyes:, Cannavaro would be much better...) - Zambrotta, Zanetti, X (wrong choice however...), Coco - Totti - Vieri, DP.
I think that the only way to win against Korea is attacking them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Liked Korea so far as well. But Italy will be too big of a challenge. Korea has achieved their goal - and the players must be proud and going out against Italy is no shame at all!

Clear cut victory for Italy!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Talking about those balls - did you read my post before the World Cup where I told you about a research made here in Denmark. Conclusion was that when Denmark do well at the major championships, the following year there are more babies getting born.... Football effects the virility of the Danish man ;) Guess it could be the same the world over... I know for a fact that I am not in the mood for sex after my fave team looses...

So women around the world - hope and cheer for your man's team to win if you want some ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
If Korea scores a goal against Italy, then shame on Italy. Portugal and our supposed bad defence kept out Korea until we were down to 9 men.

Hell, they missed clear chances on Baia when we left Baia exposed.

So, Italy with 11 men should not allow any goals; if their defence is supposed to be so much better than ours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have always loved calcio Italiano. One of my earliest memories of football was seeing Paolo Rossi's elegance in the field. Paolo Maldini has been a favorite player for years. Although my heart goes with Italy I think S.Korea will upset the europeans. Consider this: This year the Italian Serie A was a hard fought battle between three teams to the end. How many players are on the Italian national team from Juventus, Inter Milan and Roma? Almost all of them, correct? I feel that Italy is extremely exhausted from Serie A competition. This will hurt the Italians and S. Korea will capitalize. I hope I'm wrong but Italy looks too tired.

Korea 2 Italy 1

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Trap: We're stronger than Korea Friday 14 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giovanni Trapattoni has assured that Italy can knock hosts South Korea out of the tournament in Tuesday¡¦s second round clash.

The team Coached by former Holland boss Guus Hiddink has exhibited flowing football and good technique on the way to topping Group D.

¡§They are an unpredictable team rich with enthusiasm,¡¨ commented Trapattoni. ¡§Their main danger lies in their pace and rhythm. To avoid this we must use our greater experience and tactical knowledge.¡¨

"They're a good team, but I'd say Korea are a little naive."

The Azzurri have flown out to their new base in Korea after spending the first stage of the tournament in Japan.

¡§The enthusiasm from the stands will also have an effect on their performance,¡¨ noted Trap. ¡§I was frankly glad to have avoided playing Portugal. They have strong technique and some wonderful individual players."

The Italians sat down to watch South Korea¡¦s decisive 1-0 win over nine-man Portugal this afternoon and were impressed by their future opponents.

¡§There seem to be 20 of them out there, not 11,¡¨ said Francesco Coco. ¡§They just never stop running. Korea are certainly a squad to be wary of.¡¨

Alessandro Del Piero was also surprised at their physical preparation. ¡§They¡¦ll make us sweat, and to keep up with Korea we must also run our legs off.¡¨

Italy have faced the hosts of a World Cup seven times in the past, but the most abiding memories lie with neighbouring North Korea. Pak Do Ik¡¦s goal eliminated Italy from the 1966 tournament in one of the biggest shocks in football history.

¡§Those were different conditions and it¡¦s impossible to make a comparison,¡¨ said Gianni Rivera, who took part in that match in Middlesbrough.

¡§Back then no-one thought Korea could cause problems and we were complacent. The players in today¡¦s squad weren¡¦t even born in 1966. The truth is that Tuesday¡¦s game will be tough as South Korea have the home advantage.¡¨

¡§We shouldn¡¦t hark back to that day,¡¨ added Rivera. ¡§Instead we should thank Ecuador and Del Piero. I think Trapattoni is a little confused with regards to the Juventus player.¡¨

The former Italian international concluded with some advice on how to handle the continuing refereeing decisions that have gone against Italy in this World Cup.

¡§It¡¦s best to keep quiet, otherwise someone may become inclined to damage our campaign on purpose.¡¨

channel4

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
YOKOHAMA, Japan, June 14 (AFP)
Much-fancied Italy face a last-16 World Cup date with South Korea in a match that gives the 'Azzurri' the chance to exorcise the ghost of arguably the most embarrassing chapter in their World Cup history.

Korea is a word that does not have happy associations for the three-times world champions with perhaps the most humiliating defeat in their history coming at Korean hands back in 1966 at Middlesbrough, England.

That reverse, one of the most famous in World Cup history, was inflicted by the Communist North Korea rather than World Cup co-hosts South Korea but the spectre of Pak Doo-Ik's goal at the now demolished Ayresome Park still haunts Italians - the players were pelted by a hail of rotten tomatoes on returning home to Rome.

The 'Red Mosquitoes', in contrast, were such a hit with the locals that 1500 Middlesbrough fans travelled to Liverpool for the quarter-final with Portugal at Everton's Goodison Park and cheered on the North Koreans to a 3-0 lead only for Eusebio to bag four goals as the Portuguese ran out 5-3 winners.

However, it is not all bad news for the 'Azzurri' who beat the South Koreans 3-2 in Mexico in the 1986 tournament and so have no reason to be afraid although this time they will face a hostile reception from the Korean fans who have been caught up in World Cup fever.

Italy, who will be based in Cheonan, may have a historic reason to fear a battle with Korea but after scraping through a nervy 1-1 draw with Mexico in Oita, Japan to limp into the second phase they will not complain too much.

Coach Giovanni Trapattoni, who last December admitted he was relieved that Italy would be based in Japan for the first phase rather than Korea, was upbeat about his team's chances after the nailbiting match in Oita, saying: "This team is now capable of a great push."

Trapattoni on Thursday night allowed the 'Azzurri' to let their hair down in their base camp for the Oita game at nearby Beppu, allowing families into the team hotel as Italy celebrated avoiding failing for the first time at the first hurdle since 1974.

The seaside spa town, famous for the hot spring water that sends plumes of steam into the air, was just the tonic the Italians needed after scraping through - had Croatia beaten Ecuador in the other match at Yokohama a draw would not have been good enough.

None of the modern-day 'Azzurri' were born at the time of Pak Doo-Ik's memorable strike although senior player Angelo Di Livio was an unborn child but Italy's qualification ensures they will at least escape the rotten tomato treatment.

And whatever fears the word 'Korea' has in the hearts of Trapattoni and his men they will have counted their blessings at having to disembark at Seoul rather than Rome's Fiumicino airport.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Montella....he just need a starting chance. He is the man.

Btw the guys are not tired... the have enough rest prior to the first game. some of them had injuries where the time off training will be rest too. When you are talking about mental rest....yes these guys are pressured whole year round.

·
Registered
48,452 Posts
Italy by the hand of DP ... who else ?? advances to the Round of Eights.
Unfortunately Trapattoni seems to think in a different way.
He said that "...also Inzaghi scored one goal against Mexico". True, but he did nothing else good....
Trap is DEFINITELY stupid, and I fear we'll pay his stupidity.
Even a donkey could see that Coco should play from the beginning on the left (rather than Panucci, who was never able to make a cross with left foot!) and even a donkey could understand that Maldini was absolutely unfit (infact when Borgetti scored, Maldini was the only defender who did not applied offside trap and was not even able to contrast Borgetti in the air).

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Unless our all round game gets better and we start playing as a team the Koreans will put us in enormous difficulties. They don't care about reputations of the 'big' teams and will probably fancy their chances with a vibrant home crowd behind them.

Luckly, we have far greater experience and that counts for alot at this level. I wasn't happy with a few of our players against Mexico, we can't afford to under perform. I don't think Trap will make a lot of changes and that means Inzaghi will partner Vieri.:(

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Shades of 66 (other Korea) or 82? I reckon its the latter, this stage of the competition suits Italy. They dont let in many goals and as a result are always in with a shout. Having said that Korea have been excellent considering their standing in football prior to this tournament. They are a very competitive side but I think the Italians will be too clever for them.

Hopefully we will win tomorrow against the Irish and we will await the winners of this game. :)

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.