Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching (and cheering on :D ) South Korea Yesterday as they shocked world football once again by eliminating another 'big name' namely Italy...

I was watching and wondering, how can it be that South Korea is almost on the top of the world while we've been trying to get there for ages and haven't even made the World Cup? Granted, South Korea have the home crowd advantage which gives them a huge advantage over any opponent, but looking at the way they play, their moves, their football....almost everything looks so different from Israel (20 years ago there were gaps between us as well, only that back then we were the superior ones...), and I was wondering, what do our Asian neighbours have that we don't?

Better discplinary? Better players? Better facilities? Better FA? A top notch coach? Without sounding arrogant because I am not, I have plenty of respect for Korea, but it's shocking to see the huge progress they've made over the years and the gap they opened from Israel. Or maybe I am just dreaming and it's all because of the fact they play at their home stadiums? After all looking at their record in recent WC's there is a huge difference...

Opinions? Maybe Japanese would be able to help. ;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Actually, i can feel you in for something even more shocking.

Canada beat South Korea 2-1 or 3-1 in the Gold Cup, making Canada go home with a silver or bronze and Korea with Broze or 4th place.

The thing is, is that Korea had been building. Its not cause were israel or cause we're bad. Compared to us, the only problem Korea would have in there life time (if they will have) is having to be kicked out for politcal reasons and moved in to Oceana division, which wouldn't hurt them one bit but still.

Israel played only for 10 years in UEFA and yet around 1997-1999 we were making progress. I think that in all levels Korea reformed there soccer. They brought in a coach from Germany and he gave them pointers. The Korean leauge got bigger and more disciplined.

But on any account, there talent really comes from working hard and being a good player. I can tell you, and im being honest, that not even 1 of the players in the Korean NT is spoiled or is lazy. All are determined and are proud of representing there NT.

Like i said, they build up and deserved that moment in the WC. 20 years ago, Korea as well as Japan lost to Israel 4-0 or 5-0. Undoubtably, they beat us 5-4 6 years ago, but now they have proved that they can play.

So can Senegal and Morroco and Nigeria...who would have fought aids gripped, poverty and no food kinda countries from Africa could duke it out in Soccer.

Totally amazing. SOmeone must write about the "SOCCER REVOLUTION"

VIVA REVOLUTION!

HOPE HE WRITES AND REPRESENTS (NICELY) THE SOCCER HOOLIGAN COMMUNITY!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Please, Gold Cup is a joke (just like what the Copa America is turning to), it's supposed to be the CONCACAF championships, what does South Korea even do there???

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Im not sure about the tournament, but the gold cup is also for the oceanias.
I thin Australia was in it as well, im not sure...I don't follow, but i remember i seen the game where Korea lost, i know it was some sort of gold cup game, but i still doubt it.

In any form, Korea was outplayed and there game wasn't anything like the one that i seen in todays match!

·
Registered
258 Posts
As for success of Korea and Japan

Raanan says is right.
First, it is necessary to say that a WC is done at the home in Japan and Korea.
For example, Japan-Russia.
Japan is hot now. Russia was hardly able to move.

And, Please see the stadium of yesterday's game.
The South Korean supporter gathered and it was crimson.
A pressure is more than the Spain game(in Bernabeu).

It is not only it of course.
It has not prepared for the purpose of participating to a WC,
it has prepared for the purpose of winning in a WC.
For this purpose, for 4 years, it prepared. I thinks that this is a decisive difference.
A defeat country like Israel is fighting for the purpose of appearing in WC.

It does not mean that Asia became strong. Saudi and China could not win.

Moreover, I mention speed as an Far Eastern characteristic.
The press is early. Europe has comparatively many countries which connected a ball.
It will be mentioned that it is not used to an early pressure.

And As for Japan, It advanced making a team consisting mainly of Nakata, or Ono and Inamoto.
On the other hand, Troussier(Japan NT coach) fought without calling them, and a sense of rivalry was raised.
That is, it made a player layer thick.

Please see North Central America (U.S.A & Mexico) and Africa (Senegal, South Africa (it did not advance to the tournament)).
The soccer can not win only in the name value like Italia, France.

This is my opinion.....

The addition:
I watched Ecuador-Croatia. I am sorry because I cheered Croatia.
Rapajic which is the teammate of Haim was shining most. :)
He was early and was excellent about the path and dribbling.
And, Olic that Hapoel TA linked was also good.:) :)
He guards firmly, though it is FW. Moreover, it is strong also in a bodily crush.
He may improves evaluation and may become high purchase for Hapoel.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Yeah the home is advantage, and the fact both had a bye into the world cup and prepared for it 4 years like it was the most important sporting project in their history. I would also mention Japan despite their loss to Turkey. what is interesting is that there are very little Korean and Japanese playing in Europe (similar to Israel) but it didnt prevent them to play very well in the tournament. Yoo, Inamoto, Ahn and Park impressedme a lot from Japan and Korea.

Are there alot of tension between the two countries Japanese? Have the Koreans gloated when Japan lost ?

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
I can not believe you guys are taking example from one of the greatest refereeing thefts in world cup history!!! Here are the ref's shenanigans in the Italy - Corea game:

1) a non existant penalty for Corea. Grazie Buffon!
2) a perfectly good goal disallowed for no reason! Tommasi was on-side, it was IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO SEE IT!
3) a penalty not given tO Italy instead a sending off for simulation that wasn't!

Corea proffited from the decisions made by the government referee and nothing more. They did not create a single chance in that game!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well the referee in this match like in a few other WC games wasn't exactly brilliant, but you surely agree it can't take anything from Korea for their fighting spirit and the fact they dominated throughout the whole game (BTW The first penalty that Buffon saved was a good call, there was contact between the defender [Panucci?]and the Korean player).

Japanese you mentioned good points, Korea and Japan indeed had plenty of time and effort prior to the WC whereas Israel for instance had to play qualifiers.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the discplinary. The Korean players look very discplined tactically, very civilized towards their coach (they will never bash the coach in the paper for not including them in the starting lineup) and are willing to work hard for success. Funnily enough, Israeli players always like to use the pyshically inferior theory, yet, it doesn't prevent Korea from running down the pitch for 117 minutes...

BTW Japanese, have you been to any other World Cup games besides Ecuador - Croatia yet? How was the atmosphere? Any interesting stories? I'd love to hear. :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Korea and Japan are really intrested in building there soccer foundation and making an image. I think it is great to have the games in Asia, because it opens the door to Asian soccer and the premeir of it.

All in All, both Korea and Japan have alot of to work for but now they have show the world that they are diciplined and ready. They have players now who play abroad and there will be more. You might even see Israeli players being the hit of the team in Korean or Japanese leauges one day?

Whats bigger in Japan? Sumo wrestling - Baseball - Skiing - or Soccer?

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And now Korea is off to the semifinals after beating Spain by penalty shoutout. Although, I have to say that this time the calls against Spain were even more ridiculous then the Italy game. First it was that header the Egyptian ref disqualified for nothing and later the linesman simply stopped a move where a cross never crossed the line and awarded a goal kick. After that happened Morientes managed to convert the cross into a goal, which should have been counted. But apparently someone invented new rules for the game, and nobody told us. As much as I like Korea this really smells fishy. :(

Oh, Turkey is in the semis as well :) Our Middleastern friends have beaten Senegal in extratime and will now play Brazil once again. What can I say apart from the fact I was actually thinking we have a chance against them if we had to play them in the playoff. :embarass: ;)

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Raanan said:
First it was that header the Egyptian ref disqualified for nothing and later the linesman simply stopped a move where a cross never crossed the line and awarded a goal kick.
I watched a match summary today and a member of the Fifa refereeing committee said on TV that the "first disallowed" goal was 100% correct call for a foul on Puyol who had his arms around the masked Korean player and pushed his head down.

If you had the tape of the game like I do, replay it, slow it down, and watch Puyol push the Korean player who HEADED THE BALL TOWARDS HIS OWN GOAL (it wasnt Baraja who headed the ball to begin with) ..

·
Registered
258 Posts
I didn't want to say but that everybody's says is right.
The misjudgement of the Korean favor, the Italian fight and the Spanish fight and the Portuguese fight......

Moreover, I can also say that Totti and others was hits in laser.
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwhf5357/laser11.mpg
sorry, language is Japanese.
I worry that trouble may be caused to the friendship with Europe because of such a judgment and a supporter.:(

Raful
By TV news, South Korea entered into the best 4, and has been glad and told.
And Koreans say to defeat of Japan, "It was regrettable."
But Japanese soccer fan has a doubt to the judge of the referee of course.

Raanan
It was not able to see, although it was going to go to see Ireland-Saudi Arabia.
Since Ecuador and Croatia had a chance to rank 2nd in both teams, its cheer was uncanny.
Especially Ecuador.;)
After game, a Croatian supporter was angry, saying " Shout Up!" to the person in charge to guide.:D

Kappa
Baseball > Soccer >>>Sumo>>Volleyball, Basketball, others
The popularity of the sumo wrestling is stable but not popular with the young man.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts