Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than Cuper and now Luxemburgo, what other South American coaches have coached in europe and how successful were they?
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
Valdano, Di Stefano too...
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
...a normal one in terms of a Roma mid table position or even a bit upper, but with a huge/bad conflict with the players, he said he will never make what he usually do in SA of buying almost nobody and choosing the players from what already is in the club, in Europe if he coaches again he will demand 100% back up, and that will mean to buy all the players he want, and get rid of the ones he don't want...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,826 Posts
Carlos Alberto Silva coached Porto about 10-14 years ago winning two leagues I am not mistaken. Oto Gloria in the 60's also in portugal was quite sucessful.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,611 Posts
Oswaldo Ardilles coached Dinamo Zagreb(the club's name was Croatia Zagreb back then)in the 99-00 season,I think,he got fired after Dinamo Zagreb(Croatia Zagreb back then) failed to progress to the second round of the Champions League.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Di Stefano was very well rated coach in europe
 

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Purger said:
Oswaldo Ardilles coached Dinamo Zagreb(the club's name was Croatia Zagreb back then)in the 99-00 season,I think,he got fired after Dinamo Zagreb(Croatia Zagreb back then) failed to progress to the second round of the Champions League.
Ardiles got the sack from Spurs also after an insane little spell at the sleeping giant from North London.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,143 Posts
Ardiles and his famous five :proud: and yeah that game vs Notts County :eek:

Angel Marcos you had too at Nantes.

Also Abel Braga at Olympique Marseille but I think he left pretty soon. Probably didn't do too well I guess.
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
btw, I love Ardiles, so many times being treat like shit in Argentina, too much calm dude, finesse and class was his game...grande ossie!!!!buen tipo y gran jugador..
 

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Fangio said:
btw, I love Ardiles, so many times being treat like shit in Argentina, too much calm dude, finesse and class was his game...grande ossie!!!!buen tipo y gran jugador..

Ardiles is loved in England as well, for his great football and his funny pronunciation of Tottenham "Tottingham" courtesy of Chaz 'n' Dave. :D

shame he had to move to France after the trouble.
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
Ardiles english sounds like Petter Seller's one in the party...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,237 Posts
Fangio said:
...a normal one in terms of a Roma mid table position or even a bit upper,
That is a blatant lie: Bianchi was fired when Roma was in real danger of being relegated (having also tried to sell Totto to Sampdoria for some reason, only god knows why). Eventually Liedholm and Sella came on and rescued Roma from relegation and climbed to a 13th place. That was still the worst position Roma had reached for 47 years in serie A. So no matter what angle you look at it from; Bianchi was a crap coach in Roma and it was his fault completely. No alibies, no nothing.
 

·
Canonized
Joined
·
37,734 Posts
Abel Braga trained Marseille 2 season's ago
Ricardo Gomes started training PSG about 8 years ago.
Sebastiao Lazaroni trained Fiorentina in 1991


But this is the first time a "real"high calibre Brazilian manager trains a big euro team. Luxmeburgo may even win the league this season... the guy is a phenomenon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,902 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
But this is the first time a "real"high calibre Brazilian manager trains a big euro team. Luxmeburgo may even win the league this season... the guy is a phenomenon!
Barcelona need to do an Arsenal 02/03 self implosion-esque first.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top