Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
THE
14,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry/Cardiff

I tryed twice to post a new thread about the FA Cup final yesterday and both times the topic just vanished. I don't know what is the problem, I contacted to Jan, but so far i have no respond. I keep trying. So, don't you think that I don't know about the game or even worse, don't care :)

·
THE
14,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All right, I try one more time.

So, probably the most important game of the season is here. Most of the people favour Arsenal, but they also admit that on a good day Chelsea can beat anybody. Let me remind you that we have played twice in this season, at SB we drew, goals by Hassel and Henry. At Highbury we lost to them 1-2, goals by Campell&Wiltford and Lampard. Both teams have solid defenders and great strikers. I suppose there won't be many goals.

Fortunately all the importand players seem to fit and ready to play. Le Saux is back. Eidur was rested. Despite that Hassel got injured, reports from yesterday said that he is able to play. Forssell is injured tho, the young Carlton Cole is going to Cardiff instead.
I think that the biggest mistake people make is that think that only hassel and Eidur can score. Wrong, most of them can- Lampard, Zenden, Zola, Le Saux, even Terry, Callas, Dessa. I won't even predict the possible team, I'm sure Ranieri will pick a good team.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
If people are having problems with topics disappearing they need to let me know, preferrable via PM so I can get full details. I'll get the info to Jan but cannot guarantee a swift response from him--he's warned me he won't be online much in the next 10 days for personal reasons. Please try again...if it doesn't work, please PM me. Thank you!

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
C'MON CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING US SOME GLORY!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping for a good final.

I think we'll come out flying.

Chelsea-Arsenal
3-2

BLUE IS THE COLOUR!!!!!!!

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
:( is right.

We don't got cheese.

Nor any cup to eat it out of.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
FA Cup Final: Chelsea Player Ratings Vs Arsenal (0-2)
Arsenal - Chelsea | News Archive

Marcel Desailly was unlucky to be on the losing side (Allsport)
05/04/2002. Cudicini: 6
Melchiot (Subbed on 76): 6
Desailly: 7.5
Gallas: 6.5
Babayaro (Subbed on 46): 6
Gronkjaer: 6.5
Petit: 6
Lampard: 6.5
Le Saux: 6.5
Gudjohnsen: 7
Hasselbaink (Subbed on 67): 6

Subs:

Terry (on for Babayaro 46): 5.5
Zola (on for Hasselbaink 67): 6
Zenden (on for Melchiot 76): 6

Top man: Marcel Desailly was my man of the match and unlucky to be on the losing side in my opinion.
Bottom of the class: Tricky to pick one person out as Chelsea played well overall, however maybe Cudicini could have done better with the first goal, whilst John Terry was shrugged off the ball too easily for the second.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
FA Cup Final Report: Two Glorious Strikes Win FA Cup For Arsenal
Arsenal - Chelsea | News Archive

Ray Parlour scored a superb opening goal (Allsport)
05/04/2002. Two glorious second half goals from Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg clinched the FA Cup for Arsenal as London rivals Chelsea were beaten 2-0 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, the first half of a possible league and cup double for the Gunners.

The first half was a little bitty and scrappy, punctuated with moments of excitement, although it began ominously when Graeme Le Saux was unluckily booked for a late challenge on Lauren. Thankfully it didn't set a trend as only Patrick Vieira followed him into the book before the interval.

Despite Arsenal having marginally the better of the opening period of the game, Chelsea were the first to test a goalkeeper when David Seaman saved long range efforts from Le Saux and Frank Lampard.

Clear chances were few and far between, although the best two opportunities certainly fell to the Gunners, as Dennis Bergkamp latched onto a long ball from Vieira and although he headed over Cudicini, stranded in no-mans-land, it also drifted wide of the post.

Lauren arguably had a better chance at the far post and he reached Sylvain Wiltord's deep cross with a diving header, but sent it over the bar rather than forcing the Italian keeper into a save.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink played despite suffering with a hamstring pull all week, however he looked lacklustre for most of the first half, whilst his strike partner, Eidur Gudjohnsen, looked lively although his weak volley from Le Saux's cross caused few problems for Seaman.

The second half saw the arrival of John Terry, who was omitted from the starting line up due to a virus, in place of the injured Celestine Babayaro, however he could do little to stop Vieira sending Thierry Henry away on the left, and as he controlled well, his prodded effort was saved well one-handed by Cudicini.

Hasselbaink was looking livelier and had a long range effort saved after he was presented with the ball courtesy of Vieira, amid news that he had received intensive treatment on his injury at half time.

The Dutchman showed little sign of struggling when he rode a tackle well to find Gudjohnsen on the left edge of the area and his sublime curling effort was heading over the bar before Seaman thrust up a hand to tip over. Minutes later, Le Saux was in a similar position, but only managed to fire over from the `D`.

Despite their excellent spell, Chelsea were always wary of the counterattack and when Henry sent Wiltord through on the left, a goal looked possible, but he sliced his shot and sent it horribly wide.

Midway through the second half, Hasselbaink's injury or fitness caught up with him and he was replaced by Gianfranco Zola – and within two minutes the goal arrived – for Arsenal!

Wiltord did brilliantly in midfield to skip past two players, and clip the ball through to Ray Parlour. He cut inside, across two defenders and then curled a beauty into the top corner via the fingertips of Carlo Cudicini.

Chelsea, having dominated for fifteen minutes, looked down and out and went further behind with eleven minutes remaining.

The warnings on the break were there after Cudicini had parried a shot from Henry, however a minute later man of the moment Freddie Ljungberg ran at John Terry, and having shrugged him off, curled a fantastic Bergkamp-esq style goal inside the far post with the keeper absolutely stranded.

Although the goal didn't kill the game totally, as both Gudjohnson and Lampard came close in the final ten minutes, Chelsea never rediscovered their form of the opening spell of the half and the first half of Arsenal's double was effectively won when Ljungberg's shot hit the net, making him the first player to score in successive cup finals in forty years.

The final whistle confirmed part one of the double. The second half could be confirmed on Wednesday if they avoid defeat at Old Trafford.

Summary:

Arsenal (0) 2 (Parlour 70, Ljungberg 79)
Chelsea (0) 0

Line ups:
Arsenal: Seaman, Lauren, Adams, Campbell, Cole, Wiltord (Keown 90), Parlour, Vieira, Ljungberg, Bergkamp (Edu 72), Henry (Kanu 81)
Chelsea: : Cudicini, Melchiot (Zenden 76), Desailly, Gallas, Babayaro (Terry 46), Gronkjaer, Lampard, Petit, Le Saux, Hasselbaink (Zola 67), Gudjohnsen

Yellow cards:
Arsenal: Vieira (27), Henry (75)
Chelsea: Le Saux (2), Terry (75), Gudjohnsen (90)

soccerage

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Carson: were those your ratings or someone else? like newspaper. i didnt read anythign other than the ratings so u may have givena source there :)

Cudicini was brilliant, he made 2 great saves and really didnt have a lot else to do. Sometimes when a bloke puts the ball in the perfect spot the keeper will never be able to do anythign about it. I like Cudicini, perhaps in the top 3 keepers in england.

Desaily i thought was average, i dont know why people thought he played so well, how many times did he get caught with possession of the ball?? at least 3 or 4. Henry just chased him everywhere.... his defending was ok. thats it.

·
THE
14,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, what can I say. Nobody to blaime. 2 excellent goals. Petit was good, as he always is against Arsenal. Me sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts