Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Romario has denied that a rift with Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has threatened his chances of going to the World Cup, despite being left out of the squad for the Bolivia friendly on January 31.

"When they need me, I'll be there," he said. "I'm the best in Brazil."

Scolari overlooked Romario for the Bolivia date in Goiania, choosing Ponte Preta's Washington, Edilson from Cruzeiro and Corinthians star Luizao for the forward berths.

The 35-year-old Vasco da Gama striker was unruffled by the snub. "Scolari doesn't follow the same criteria as I do. It's a personal thing but I don't believe it's a sign that I've a bad relationship with him. I've been in football a long time and I'm used to these situations. I'm confident of going to the World Cup.

"Scolari said that this is a test phase and I don't need to be tested so it's a good sign. I'd like to be among the final 23 but I need to keep on playing well for my club."

The 'personal thing' dates back to before last summer's Copa America when Romario used an eye operation he never had as an excuse for not playing in the tournament.

However, Scolari has said he is using the Bolivia match – the first of four World Cup friendlies – to monitor the progress of up-and-coming talent.

He has also insisted on various occasions that he has no quarrel with Brazilian football's favourite contemporary son, claiming the veteran has just as much chance as any other striker of making the World Cup squad.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Romario e o melhor marcador"porque sera" que nao vai ao mundial 2002WC?

That's Bullsh;t Romario should be there and play what is Scolari thinking Romario is a goal machine awsome and Ronaldo is a joke forget about him he is injury pleagued a guy like Romario deserves to be there he is a competitor but instead he is calling up Jardel for the Bolivia game but I aint saying Jardel aint good enough because the guy also scores in bunches to me he is the best in the box in the world with his head but that is not Brazil's game thats more like England style,I am pissed if one of the best in the world dosent go beacuse them 2 have issues,settle the damm issues and move on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ROMARIO IS THE BEST STRIKER BRAZILS EVER PRODUCED AND YOUR BIGGEST HOPE OF WC2002 GLORY so the media press have a right to demad romarios inclusion without him brazil will be elimated very early in wc2002 mark my words in with ronaldo
romario and ronaldo has to work together with rivaldo just behind them then brazil may do well but thats your best hope u need to sack your coach now and get piera 94 winning coach back as head coach,romario will lift this team,
AND I WOULD SAY TO U ROMARIO IF AND WHEN U GET BACK IN THE NT PLEASE LEAD BY EXAMPLE DONT BRING NO ATTITUDE DO WAHT EVER THE CAOCH SAYS GUIDE THE YOUNGSTERS TRAIN HARDER THAN U EVER HAVE THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE U MISSED OUT ON 98 U R 36 NOW IM PLEADING TO U YOUR ATTITUDE HAS TO BE GOOD U ARE MY FAVOURITE NEXT TO DEIGO IN THE LAST 15 YEARS U COULD HAVE BROKEN PELES RECORD BY NOW U SHOULD BE AN AUTOMATIN=C STARTER BUT YOUR ATTITUDE HAS LET U DOWN IN THE PAST SO PLEASE THE WORLD WANTS TO SEE U NOT ONLY THE BRAZILLIAN PUBLIC IN THIS WORLD CUP WITH YOUR GREATNESS U CAN DO IT EVERYONES BEHIND U NOW ITS UP TO U KEEP PLAYING WELL WITH YOUR CLUB THEY WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RECALL U ,U AND A FIT RONALDO WILL CARRY BRAZIL FAR U MAY EVEN WIN IT BUT U NEED TIME TO GEL I HOPE THEY SACK THE CAOCH GET PIERA 94 COACH PICK A SETTLED TEAM NOW WITH ALL THE BEST PLAYERS BRAZIL HAS TO OFFER REGARDLESS OF AGE.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Scolari in assault row after Romario jibe

Thursday 31st January 2002

Luiz Felipe Scolari's hopes of leading Brazil to the World Cup hang in the balance after the coach kicked out at a state government official who chided him about Romario's exclusion from the side to face Bolivia.

The state official Semir Peres has threatened to sue Scolari, and the Brazil coach could face an assault charge, which carries a prison sentence of up to one year.

The extraordinary scene occurred when the Brazilian squad gathered in Goiania ahead of the game, and Scolari was approached by Peres.

"I am your friend, Big Phil," he told Scolari. "But if you don't call Romario, you will fail."

Corinthians striker Luizao and security guards were then forced to restrain a furious Scolari as he responded by kicking out at Peres.

"I will sue this person for aggression," the official said after consultation with his lawyer.

The lawyer explained: "Scolari assaulted my client and had to be held back by a bodyguard and a player. "

It is not the first time that Scolari has hit out. He attacked a journalist who verbally abused him when he was Palmeiras coach.

Scolari overlooked Vasco Da Gama striker Romario for the clash in the Goias capital, choosing Ponte Preta's Washington, Edilson from Cruzeiro and Luizao for the forward berths.

Scolari and Romario fell out before last summer's Copa America when the 35-year-old forward used an eye operation he never had as an excuse for not playing in the tournament.

However, Scolari has said he is using the Bolivia match - the first of four World Cup friendlies - to monitor the progress of up-and-coming talent.

He has also insisted on various occasions that he has no quarrel with Brazilian football's favourite contemporary son, claiming the veteran has just as much chance as any other striker of making the World Cup squad.

He even opened the door to a Romario return after the failure of Edilson, Luizao, Marcelinho and Ronaldinho to impress in the World Cup qualifiers.

The 1994 World Cup winner was top scorer in last season's Campeonato Brasileiro and was recently voted the world's most effective striker by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics.

He has a better goal average than notoriously prolific strikers like Sporting Lisbon's Mario Jardel and Celtic and Sweden star Henrik Larsson.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts