Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the fifa world cup site and found an option to see how teams did against eachother since the start of the world cup in 1930. I couldn't wait to see who had been better through the years.. Brazil or Argentina? Italy or Germany? How did Holland and France do? Surprisingly, I left the site terribly dissappointed. Brazil and Argentina had only faced eachother 4 times and it was pretty even(Brazil had won 2, Argentina 1 and 1 draw)... 4 times! Copa America is not really regarded that highly in those countries, so that means that Argentina and Brazio have only played eachother competitively 4 times... 4 times in 74 friggin years!

Further matching and browsing saw that the most times two teams played achother was 5... Brazil had only faced Germany once and that match should have never happened. France has a postive record against Brazil... and so does Portugal! Of course that doesn't mean much as you can count those matches on a couple of fingers. France has never played either Spain or Holland, England is better than Argentina but gets demolished by Brazil....

Anyway, I'm not sure I've ever been this dissapointed with the history of football... or any sport for that matter. Just think of how many times Real Madrid and Bayern Munich or Manchester United have faced eachother the past 10 years, it's produced some rivalries that are great and also a couple of nice stats like Real never winning in Munich, no matter how good they are.

I guess not seeing something much makes you appreciate it even more when it does happen, but this seems a bit ridiculous. Brazil and Germany have won the world 8 times between eachother but we've never seen the pleasure of Rumenigge vs. Zico to name just one mouthwatering matchup.

On another note, what is the World Cup actually about? It seems like it's just a celebration of football as opposed to matching the best teams in the world against eachother and finding the best of the best. It took 12 years before Italy and Brazil faced eachother in 1994 and what do we do to decide who's best?

Penalties!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
29,806 Posts
5 times in 17 WCs, mean...more than 30% of the times. THere is very few WCs.

One thing, You are wrong about Copa America - It was very very serious busines until sometime ago and now, just now with Uruguay drop and Argentina losing interest it faded. But the rivalirity is so big that they make friendlies be serious busines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts