Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like for someone to help me out with a little info on a few austrian players: Rene Aufhauser, Andreas Ivanschitz, Markus Kiesenebner, Roland Linz and Wolfgang Mair

If you can please tell me how you would rate them what role they play for their club and what roll they play for the national team. Since most are young id also like to know how good you think they will be.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Difficult, really, as you will get different opinions on these. Aufhauser I leave for arantes, Ivanschitz I leave for Mx... ;)

I'd say if (OK, a little on Ivanschitz...) Ivanschitz and Linz had the personality of Kiesenebner (in terms of a fighting to the top spirit), they'd both be definitely, say, Serie A material for clubs in the rank 5-10 region. Ivanschitz as a highly technically gifted playmaker who has the eye as well as the shot, Linz as one of these natural scorers. Perhaps Ivanschitz is in the Liverani region.

Unfortunately Linz - in a painful way - particularly does not have the needed guts and rather moves on eternal talent tracks and still very nice paychecks, so far, and wastes the potential. Only recently he told the Austria Wien manager he wants to play for a lower ranking team in Austria, rather than fight against Rushfeldt for the central striker in Austria Wien, also as in Austria Wien there always is danger of new international buys. That's typical, he just avoids competition and thus never will make it for any international team. From the class he is a bit like Simone Inzaghi, but to get international contracts, you have to be better than the locals.

Ivanschitz we will have to see, but he won't be a Herzog or Prohaska, e.g., just as Linz won't be a Polster or Krankl.

Kiesenebner has the guts and thus already has a nice quality range, but he lacks the talent to ever be in the very top as far as international football goes. He's definitely better than, say, Seric, though, who actually has a sort of career in Serie A.

You can forget Mair, occasionally kinda nice games but nothing more.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Some more comments from me on that topic. ;)

- Kiesenebner: He's the prime example of a fighter, with decent technics as well. Unfortunately he's very injury prone and too often a little overmotivated resulting in many bookings. Judging just by potential he's one of the best prospects for the future.
Should be a regular in the national team soon. He scored after about 5 minutes on his debut.
His position is a mixture of Gerrard at Liverpool and Keane at Manchester. Central midfield, rather defensive, but pushing forward from time to time, also having a nice hammer from around 25 meters.

- Mair: Imo one of the most overrated players in Austria, relying solely on his speed. He recently had his national team debut, but I think that didn't work. Imo nothing to expect from him in the future. He's mainly used on the (right) wing, sometimes as a striker.

- Ivanschitz: Said to be one of the biggest talents in Austrian football, he stopped to get better for about a year now. (since everyone told him how great he was and Krankl made him NT-captain, a burden he couldn't take.) He's a playmaker, not the classic one though, as he's often used on the wings. (but he's definitely no winger!) He could develop to a top-class-player, but we'll have to see if it will work. He's currently mentally not up for the task, imo.

- Aufhauser: Technically limited, but a fighter with a good shot. Since Krankl took over the NT, he's a regular, covering the defensive midfield spot. I don't think there's more development to expect from him, as he's rather old in comparison to the other players. (I hope that's true, but at least that's what I have in mind. ;))

- Linz: He was a big talent, but handled praise even worse Ivanschitz did. (Krankl talked about him and Wallner as European top-strikers "to be".) He's a classic central striker, but never wanted to fight for a place, like Alexx explained. However, for a central striker he's imo not athletic enough. He had his shining moments, but periods of horrible games as well. Apart from lower league or lower position teams he never showed what he could do. I already gave up hope that he could develop to a real striker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TGV reminded me that i did not ask about Roman Wallner which i meant to do. Are there any other Austrian players that are seen as having a chance to be international players in the near future. I just got back from a trip to Austria and got curious about the situation of the National Team since the last i remember of them was really from World Cup 98.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Maybe I'm fooled by your nickname (I suppose you're from Germany), but I think you should know the situation of Wallner better than us. ;) As far as I know he doesn't have much playing time and the only headline he made at Hanover was when he was caught driving drunk. He's not smart enough to develop to a top-striker, his reputation basically relying on his so far only 1 good season for Rapid.

Other players, well, that's a tough one. Two years ago I'd have mentioned Paul Scharner of course, but only spring-season will tell if he made it back on track for Brann Bergen. (more info should be in the "boys from Norway" thread.) Other players to watch would imo be Florian Metz, Roman Kienast and Pichlmann for example.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Alexx said:
Difficult, really, as you will get different opinions on these. Aufhauser I leave for arantes, Ivanschitz I leave for Mx... ;)
What what? :eek: :D

Alexx and tgv325 more or less covered the players you were asking for.

Aufhauser (should be around 30) is the player with the most caps under NT coach Hans Krankl, not undeserved, he's one of the better players. And what difference it makes to have him or not have him in central midfield was evident in the Cyprus-tournament in my opinion. Key player for his team, GAK, and for the NT.

As Paul said, his future NT-partner in central midfield should be Markus Kiesenebner. Admirable how he went from Pasching to Austria without even the slightest thought of being benched for a better foreign player. Good confidence.

As for other talented players, that's kinda hard to say. A lot of Austrian players impress (even in the eyes of foreign scouts) on youth level until U19 or so. Then they either don't play regular football in one of our two professional leagues, or, in case they do play, they're not as impressive as one would like them to be. One of the latter cases is Jürgen Säumel at Sturm Graz. I guess we just have to be a bit more patient. Another good prospect is Thomas Prager at SC Heerenveen/Holland.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So the consensus among you guys is that Ivanschitz isnt as good as the hype surrounding him?

What about defenders? Stranzl seems like hes developed into a class player at Stuttgart. Who else plays with him?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yes, despite his many, many injuries, Stranzl had a great development. Without all those injuries he would probably play for one of the top clubs...

NT-defense changed a lot in recent months, with many surprises, partly down to injuries of the best players, partly because Krankl doesn't know better.
On the right it should be Dospel, who's currently having his best seasons as right wing-back for FAK. However, Krankl often didn't care about him being easily the best Austrian defender, currently. So we also saw for example Katzer and Standfest on that position. In central defense there's usually Ehmann partnering Stranzl, but also Hiden, Feldhofer and I think even Kovacevic. The left wing is usually Pogatetz's position, who's a big prospect as well! Unfortunately he sometimes has problems to "keep cool", earning him the nickname "Psychotetz"... ;) I think we also had Katzer as left wing-back already.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Can we use Josef Degeorgi on the left wing again, pls.

;)

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
No, we can't, you just wouldn't stop there. Soon we'd reactivate Koncilia, Sara,... ;)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Are you telling me anyone could sneak a ball into a fottball goal when Friedl fills it, these days.... ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys can you help me with a question on Austrian soccer. I need to know the town that Kremser come from or is that the name of the town. It is for a project I am doing concerning Austrian teams in the European Cups. Also is Weiner Neustadt still about? Thank you in anticipation, Tom.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Yes SC Krems or Kremser SC (whatever way you want to put it) is from Krems, a town in Lower Austria. Wiener Neustadt is still around (1. SC Wiener Neustadt is the full name, I believe), some user named Djet (he can be found in the Parma-forum) even plays for them.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
1988 Kremser SC won the cup as their history highlight. They beat FC Tirol on away goal, 2:0 & 3:1. FC Tirol had been coached by Ernst Happel, clearly the ruling coach we ever had. Later they drew (and then lost on penalties) against Rapunzel in the Supercup, with our former striker hero (and for a little while still current NT coach) Hans Krankl as a player.

And that's a pic from then, with Krankl.

And that's Argentina legend and WC winner Mario Kempes, playing for Krems in 91/92

1 - 14 of 14 Posts