Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned before how I was gonna take a trip to Istanbul with my wife in June and you guys gave me some ideas and places to check out. Thanks for that again. This time I have a new dilemma (I don't really mind having it though). We're extending our vacation time and we plan on spending a week by the beach areas and then spending a week in Istanbul. My dilemma is wehere to stay. I've looked at Bodrum, Marmaris, Antalya, and Fetiye. I can't decide where to go. I'm looking for a nice combination consisting of a nice beach or two, an above average nightlife, and some nice historical/unique sites. Any info or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I'll be in Antalya again this summer (same hotel) it has a great private beach and I'd recommend it. However I'm unsure of the nightlife, as it's not what I go for.

I think for historic sites, Kusadasi is good, and you can also take a quick trip to Greek island Samos. It's local to places like Pamukkale and Efes. (well the ride seemed quick).

For nightlife, I guess it's Bodrum (not a big fan of Marmaris).

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
I've been to all places so i might help you a little!

It all depends on what you want to do!

If you want to party all night long.....then Bodrum is the place for you! Their becahse arent the best but they have these yacht journeys that are awesome. You pay like say 15-20 euros for a day on the boat (food included) and you get to see some places that you normally dont see and you swim in the best places.

If you want a little calmer but still a hectic bar life....than Marmaris/Icmeler is a good choice. The environment in Icmeler is also awesome and the beaches are good.

Antalya is a good choice if you want the "city" feeling as well....good night life, good shopping and a nice riviera....

Fethiye has maybe the most amazing beach in Türkiye, Ölüdeniz, i think you have seen it in pics and stuff.....but last time i was there they didnt have a nightlife worth mentioning.

There is also side withtheir miles and miles long becahes......they are also famous for their ancient "stuff"....

So it all depends on what you want of your vacation.....my personal favourite have always been Bodrum.....and the boattrips...i just love them. But there comes a time when you get bored of all the partying! :D

If i were you i would either choose Marmaris/Icmeler or Antalya.....:)

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,578 Posts
i say marmaris icmeler than fethiye. or only istanbul :p

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
you could also try cesme if you like....great beach, nice nature and i would say average nightlife...i personally would prefer it to bodrum and marmaris....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys. It really helps alot to hear some info from you guys instead of random websites/magazines. I think i'm narrowing it down to either Marmaris or Bodrum. Those boat trips you're talking about Cengo sound nice :thmbup: I'm a sucker for boats man. If I were rich before I'd buy a super car, I'd buy a yacht.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Alternatively, you can fly out to Kibris and check out Girne/Magusa/Lefkosa etc... They're all in close proximity and each offer great variation ;)

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If it were my time, I would split it between Bodrum and Marmaris. (Possibly Fehtiye .. Olu Deniz is definitely worth the trip out there)

If you want specific information on any of those places (especially Bodrum), just ask. I have been going to Bodrum for the past 5 years and can reccomend some really nice places to stay / eat / hangout /party.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Cengo said:
IYou pay like say 15-20 euros for a day on the boat (food included) and you get to see some places that you normally dont see and you swim in the best places.
This alone is worth going to Bodrum. When I'm there I go out on atleast 2 boat excursions.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Jemster said:
Alternatively, you can fly out to Kibris and check out Girne/Magusa/Lefkosa etc... They're all in close proximity and each offer great variation ;)

and dipkarpas :D:D its a bit far.. but excellent beaches apprently.. if you know the shape of the island.. its the 'nose' of the island.. if not, you'll love girne.. great beaches, restaurants, hotels. and at nite loads of clubs to choose from.. best one is Mare Monte.. the dj used to live on my road in London.. he plays the latest English songs on London Nites

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess a boat trip in bodrum is something i'm gonna do. As for the majority of our stay, it'll be in marmaris. Probably a 7 day stay in marmaris and a 3 day stay in bodrum. As for marmaris, any ideas for what we could there would be very helpful. I would like to see the surrounding areas (the ones worth seeing) like olu deniz, icmeler, etc. Also, when we leave Bodrum we'll be heading to istanbul and I was wondering what's the best way to get there? Train? Plane? Bus? Is it worth taking a plane there from Bodrum to Istanbul? I don't care about the price of the plane, it's just that i hate flying :nervous: Although if it's a long drive, I don't want to waste a day traveling. This is my first trip to turkiye, and I wanna get the most out of it. thx again.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked out the hotel eddie...nice. Although I'm thinking about staying in Icmeler and from there visiting Marmaris and Fethiye. Any more ideas, tips, and/or opinions? I really have no clue what to expect so it's greatly appreciated. I'm kinda just reading everything I can get my hands on at this point, but it's always better to get advice from people who have been there personally who are not affliliated with any website/magazine. One more thing, FORZA KARTAL thanks a bunch. That guy sent me alot of info on Bodrum and really helped me out a bunch. Just wanted to point that out to some people who don't know him...he seems like a really stand up guy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
So I take it that the Cyprus idea was a bad one... :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not bad, just not for us this time. Having never been to Turkey I'm looking very forward to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts