Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Little rumour check: I heard local media here reportng on Sollied leaving Brugge and coming to Panathinaikos. Could you fill me in on wether or not this rumour has some truth to it?

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
According to news agencies in Greece it is a done deal!

Can you tell us anything about him? Coaching style? Credentials?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Anything concrete article-wise? :)

Anyway, here's a short summary from our forum which pretty well sums up the major lines:

Opinions are very mixed among fans.

He has a very clear, interesting and attractive view on football. First of all, he always starts from the strength of his own team, with paying too much attention to the adversary. He mainly plays in a 4-3-3 concept in Bruges, because that is the best way to use the space on a football field when you are the stronger party and because it is an attractive way of playing.

When he came to Belgium, Sollied was a novelty that created a lot of positive buzz. He introduced new concepts in our football, he made our team to be more efficient with less energy, learned them an intelligent system that they can always fall back on, a system that tells them where to walk or run at any time of the game, holding one thing in mind: the goal of football is scoring.

In this 4-3-3 you need a lot of physical force in the midfield. Midfield players in this concept have to bridge the big spaces (helped by the attackers when the other team has the ball) and get the chance to come in a scoring position. Typical about Sollieds system is his use of 'alternating centre attackers'. He doesn't use typical wingers, because the attackers in the right and lift wing of the team change position all of the time and get in a scoring position nearly as often as the regular centre attacker.

There are different reasons why Sollied is not loved by everyone here:
1) Some say that he's bad news for young players, because he emphasizes the importance of experience.
2) Others say he doesn't like creative players, because his system is based on fysical rather than technical talents and that his system kills creativity.
3) Others say he makes crucial mistakes in certain games by making wrong tactical choices and not changing his 4-3-3 concept. They say that Sollied is the main reason why we didn't succeed in surviving our UEFA-cup group.
4) Most people are bored with him, which is of course not a good reason for dumping a trainer.
5) Some say he's too stubborn, always playing the same tactics, even if the situation asks another approach.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
thsi year they had Shum, wasent a great coach but got the job done. They then swiched to Skansi after PAOs terrible preformance agaisnt PSV. He was a very bad coach and a step down from Shum. They finally decided to sack him after losing to AEK, and Xanthi in the league and then getting knocked out of the cup by AEK.

·
Registered
33 Posts
4-3-3 is a the system current AEK coach Fernando Santos tried to implement whene he was at PAO.
The result?...PAO were running last in the league and were being beaten in europe by teams like Litex Lovech.
PAO dont have the players to play 4-3-3. For years now they have been a defensive bland team that grind out results in europe with a mixture of Good defense and good luck.
To play 4-3-3 you need creative players. PAO dont have any creative players. Only Ezekiel Gonzalez is creative but only against the smaller the teams in the league. When he plays against Olympiakos or AEK its like he is an invisible man.
Sollied has his work cut out for him if he goes to PAO.
And for the record, ive never heard of this guy before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
for a 4-3-3 PAO definately has the strikers

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
It's been all over the newspapers, apparently it's a done deal. PAO will pay the 400,000 euros release clause for his contract with Brugge and will give Sollied an initial 1.5 year contract for 1,000,000 euros per year.

Inferno, how does this look to you? Cause to me it looks good!

Galinovic
Vydra - Goumas - Morris/Kotsios - Munch

Basinas - Gonzalez - Anderson

Papadopoulos - Konstantinou - Gekas

With a new goalkeeper, a good center back and one more central midfielder, I think Sollied has good foundations for a very good team.

Panathinaikos has always been a physical team that relies on strength and tactics rather than creativity. Santos did not fail at PAO because of his system, he failed because he kept making stupid choices (like playing Henriksen in a zonal defence and starting Chainho).

I don't know Sollied either, but from what I've read he seems like a very good choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
It's been all over the newspapers, apparently it's a done deal. PAO will pay the 400,000 euros release clause for his contract with Brugge and will give Sollied an initial 1.5 year contract for 1,000,000 euros per year.

Inferno, how does this look to you? Cause to me it looks good!

Galinovic
Vydra - Goumas - Morris/Kotsios - Munch

Basinas - Gonzalez - Anderson

Papadopoulos - Konstantinou - Gekas

With a new goalkeeper, a good center back and one more central midfielder, I think Sollied has good foundations for a very good team.

Panathinaikos has always been a physical team that relies on strength and tactics rather than creativity. Santos did not fail at PAO because of his system, he failed because he kept making stupid choices (like playing Henriksen in a zonal defence and starting Chainho).

I don't know Sollied either, but from what I've read he seems like a very good choice.
Actually Amoroso it doesnt look that good to me.
Forget about the keeping problems that they have but their defence without Kyriakos looks weak to me. Vyntra is no Seitaridis and neither Morris, Kotsios or Goumas are as good as Kyriakos. Henriksen is good but he will 36 next season
The midfield ? ....Basinas is leaving PAO, hes been wanting to leave some time now, hes a defensive midfielder anyway whos only creativity is with dead balls ( fouls and corners) only.
Gonzalez is an ok player against the smaller teams in Greece but he does not step up in the derby matches. To date hes done nothing playing against Olympiakos and AEK.
Andersen I dont know, havent seen enough of him to form and opinion but the fact that he was signed from Halkidona leads me to believe hes not the player that will make the difference for them .
The strikers now...lets see, Konstantinou cost them so much money yet in the 4 years hes been there hes hardly set the league on fire. He has sporadic bursts of good form then followed by 4-5 games without scoring.
Olisadebe is damaged goods, his knee is causing him problems and needs surgery.
Papadopoulos this season has been out of form, for me he was a one season wonder last year, half the goals he scored were taps or rebounds anyway .
As for Gekas, only reason PAO bought him was because he was free.
hes not better than Agritis, Mantzios or Kapetanos.

But this debate is futile I think. My view is that Solied wont go to PAO.Hes already on a 1 million euro contarct per season at Brugge why would he want to break that and come to Greece for the same amount of money?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm kind of shocked because Sollied just made a vow to stay till the end of his contract (another 1.5 years). But if it's a done deal :confused:
Well, Panathinaikos got themselves a great coach then, he's the most important coach in Belgian competition for the last ten years. The only reason he could leave is that he's already 5 years in Bruges and both want some change.

At times he can transform a team into a real machine that overpowers all oponents. it's indeed very physical based and stereotype game, but quite effective. Coherent he's not very flexible, he always sticks to his system. Lastly he's sort of a dry comedien, a sfinx, non-stop producing oneliners, which will fill Greek newspapers :D

But for the "done deal", his wife is Belgian and wants to stay, so it's gonna take some mighty $ to lure them away.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
INFERNO_7 said:
Actually Amoroso it doesnt look that good to me.
Forget about the keeping problems that they have but their defence without Kyriakos looks weak to me.
Kirgiakos was a loss, but they're not bringing Sollied in for this year. This year the league is lost and next year they will get him a new CB to put next to Goumas. Along with the usual support cast (Morris, Kotsios) it will be as ok as always.

Vyntra is no Seitaridis
Vydra is improving all the time, and even right now he's the best RB in the league.

Gonzalez is an ok player against the smaller teams in Greece but he does not step up in the derby matches. To date hes done nothing playing against Olympiakos and AEK.
The title is not won at derbies mate. Giovanni is exactly the same - and unlike Gonzalez he doesn't perform in Europe either.

Andersen I dont know, havent seen enough of him to form and opinion but the fact that he was signed from Halkidona leads me to believe hes not the player that will make the difference for them .
How intelligent, judging a player on the basis of where he was signed from... I guess Djordjevic and Giannakopoulos signing from Paniliakos or Georgatos from Panahaiki are similar examples? Time will tell about Anderson's career at PAO, but he looked fantastic with Chalkidona.

The strikers now...lets see, Konstantinou cost them so much money yet in the 4 years hes been there hes hardly set the league on fire. He has sporadic bursts of good form then followed by 4-5 games without scoring.
I agree that Konstantinou is generally crap, but this season his form has not been a sporadic burst... he has scored many and important goals. We'll see.

Papadopoulos this season has been out of form, for me he was a one season wonder last year, half the goals he scored were taps or rebounds anyway .
So tap ins and rebounds are not goals? Alexandris was scoring 90% of his goals with tap ins and rebounds.

As for Gekas, only reason PAO bought him was because he was free.
hes not better than Agritis, Mantzios or Kapetanos.
He's definitely better than Kapetanos and in my opinion better than Agritis too. Mantzios I agree is better. Still Gekas is a fine player who can do good.

But this debate is futile I think. My view is that Solied wont go to PAO.Hes already on a 1 million euro contarct per season at Brugge why would he want to break that and come to Greece for the same amount of money?
Cause Greece is a better league than Belgium and PAO has more chances to do well in the CL than Brugge.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The PAO 4-3-3 wouldn't work THIS YEAR but it may well do after having some decent acquisitions. Anderson and Gonzalez look decent enough to play well in this formation but Basinas has been playing shite all year long. They would also need some decent backup as a lot of their midfield simply isn't up to it. Attacking wise, I don't think PAO has too much of a problem but they need a good defensive partner for Goumas.

I don't think they're too far away for the moment but they need some quality replacements. The $64,000 question is though "Will Vardogiannis Open His Wallet This Summer?".

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The $64,000 question is though "Will Vardogiannis Open His Wallet This Summer?".
Indeed. I mean, Soiled is a good signing on the part of pao but it ain't the first big name they've hauled in. Rember Bengston who signed in 1988, straight after winning the UEFA Cup with IFK Gothenburg? The results there weren't the best. But it's all down to the "captain" to acquire some big names down to Paiania to give this move more credibility as opposed to going for second rate crud playing out their days in the Cypriot league. Personally I hope they persist with the latter strategy of course. :shades:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Marcus7 said:
I don't think they're too far away for the moment but they need some quality replacements. The $64,000 question is though "Will Vardogiannis Open His Wallet This Summer?".
Bang on! They could bring Otmer Hitzfeld or Fabio Capello in and still do crap if Vardinogiannis doesn't support his manager's choice in all levels, both financially and psychologically. Sollied has only worked in Norway and Belgium where a thing like "fan pressure" doesn't exist. He could be a fine coach, but without the full backing of the club he will fail.

And it's true that they have a lot of dead wood in their roster. Maric, Skacel, Olisadebe, Konstantinidis, Galinovic, Zutautas, Henriksen have either given whatever they had (or were able to give) or are simply not good enough. And the jury is still out about Wouter and Charalambidis, let alone Konstantinou. That's basically everyone apart from Gonzalez, Basinas and Anderson in midfield and attack...

PS. Didn't Bengston work for PAOK and not Panathinaikos?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Dont expect Basinas to be around at PAO much longer guys...

4-3-3 CAN work at pao but like amo said they need a solid CB. In my eyes they have the potential to put out the best attack out of all the teams in Greece

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
PS. Didn't Bengston work for PAOK and not Panathinaikos?
Perhaps I got the the name wrong but I do know they signed IFK's coach soon after the won the UEFA in '87. Guess it my age and possibly dementia showing. :depress:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bengston coached Panathinaikos for 2 season winning 1 league title.
It was back in the days when Vardinoyiannis was bribing mot only the refs in Greece but the refs in Europe.

·
Registered
59,136 Posts
bit off topic, how's Nordin Wooter been doing for PAO?

Very surprised he's gone there since in Holland he's seen more as a journeyman. Surely he can't be more than a back-up player at Panathinaikos or has he suddenly started playing like a Robben? :D

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Wally said:
bit off topic, how's Nordin Wooter been doing for PAO?

Very surprised he's gone there since in Holland he's seen more as a journeyman. Surely he can't be more than a back-up player at Panathinaikos or has he suddenly started playing like a Robben? :D
So it's just in Holland he's seen as a journeyman eh? :angel: He hasn't really set the world on fire to tell you the truth. That's to be expected from a bloke who didn't make a huge impression at those luminaries from watford. Not the first time a once great Dutchman hasn't really excelled in Greece. The other being Gauston Taument. :(

·
Registered
59,136 Posts
Thanks, so no sudden miracle alternative for the now injured Robben as I expected.

Yeah Taument actually was liked a lot at Feyenoord ,by me too:D. Part of our crazy team which became Dutch champs in 93 . Pretty pacey player but he then went to Benfica, Austria Wien and then Aris Saloniki right? seems like we sold a player at the right time (for once) since he seemed to be on the way down from what I heard in Benfica and Austria. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts