Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Croatia midfielder Soldo ruled out of match with Ecuador

Updated: Tuesday June 11, 2002 10:50 a.m. ET

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) -- Croatian midfielder Zvonimir Soldo, suffering from a foot injury, has been ruled out of Croatia's key group G match against Ecuador on Thursday.

"Soldo injured his sole in the last match with Italy and the closed training showed that he will not be fit for Ecuador," spokesman Ado Kozul said after the team's closed training session Tuesday.

Coach Mirko Jozic has several options to fill in the gap created by the sturdy defensive midfielder's absence. Inter Milan defender Dario Simic may be inserted at the back with the versatile Stjepan Tomas moving a step forward into Soldo's position. Or, Jozic could bring youngster Jurica Vranjes into the fire as a direct replacement without disrupting the current formation.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
It's funny how at some postitions we can replace it with two or three good players, hope he'll be back soon.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
i'd replace Soldo with Vranjes! his passing is excellent. Jozic would be crazy to put Tomas back in midfield.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
too bad that Soldo is out but i think Vranjes can fill his role quite admirably. you know whats funny when the Italians say that because Nesta was out that is the reason we got those 2 goals well as i recall they had the best defence in the world not just the best "defeneman" and if u look at us what about Tudor they took him out quite nicely before the world cup even began so im sure with him in our line-up we can biatch and complain that we would have been the "best" but we dont complain we moved on NO EXCUSES and im proud of us for that! NAPRIJED VATRENI take out all the anger from the Mexico game onto the Ecuadorians!

·
International
8,545 Posts
I'd go with Vranjes as well, Tomas should stay in defence. As one of you pointed out not too long ago in another thread, Tomas only seems to play in the midfield for us while at club level, he's always a defender. Which is probably the reason why he plays as a defender in the midfield, rather than a defensive midfielder.

Vranjes might not be ready for this kind of game, but he's our best option to replace Soldo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts