Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.yahoo.com

World-Solano says England's Dyer as exciting as Maradona

LONDON, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Newcastle United's England midfielder Kieron Dyer has the ability to be one of the best players in the world, his club colleague Nolberto Solano said on Saturday.

``Kieron is faster than (Diego) Maradona and is as exciting as Maradona,'' Peruvian international winger Solano told British newspapers.

``He is an unbelievable player. He has the ability to be one of the world's greatest and all he needs is a little more experience.''

Solano, who played in Maradona's testimonial in Buenos Aires two months ago, said: ``I don't know whether Maradona knows who Kieron is but I think, by the end of the World Cup, the whole world will know about him.

``Maradona was a great player so it is difficult to compare them, but they have the same energy levels and an ability to run for 95 minutes in every game.''

Solano, 27, said most clubs in the premier league would be delighted to sign Dyer but he hoped he would remain with Newcastle.

``Many teams across the Premiership will want to buy him because he is one of the best players in England but, like everyone at Newcastle, I hope he stays,'' said Solano.

Back on the pitch in early December after a 10-month layoff due to shin problems, Dyer, 23, rounded off a string of fine performances by scoring in last weekend's 3-1 win over title rivals Leeds United.

His bid to secure a place in Sven Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad for the finals in South Korea and Japan in May and June has already won the support of Newcastle manager Bobby Robson.

``He has the class and experience to hold his own in any England midfield,'' former England manager Robson told reporters last weekend.

``He could do for Sven what he does for me. I have no doubt about that.''

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well Kieron Dyer is no doubt one of the best midfielders in England but that remark is a huge statement!.One thingi do agree on is that Dyer is gonna show the world how good he is in the World Cup:).

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yea i agree, but i'm also a little worried about that. He is gonna attract attention from the big clubs like Bacelona, Juve etc along with the big ones already interested (Real Madrid, Man Utd). It is gonna be hard to keep him at Newcastle, but i think his loyalty to te club will be shown.

He is gonna be up in the "Most Wanted" list with the likes of Beckam, Larsson, etc.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
This is just it though ...

... technically there is no other club that is "bigger" than us.

Look at the 80's when Gazza and Waddle left us for a certain "big club" ... everybody say the name of that "big club" with me ... yep, Tottenham.

Ha - look at us compared to them now. Today they lose their starboy to their arch-rivals and compared to SJP, WHL is a thimble! :angel:

We shouldn't have to fear Kieron leaving for a bigger club - there aren't that many. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Its not the status of the club thats worrying, its the amount of money Real, Barca, Inter etc are willing to pay for players wages.

British clubs, as a whole, are more reluctant to spent big, compared to the rest of Europe. £38mil for Figo? 48mil for Zidane?31 for Buoffon? £26mil is the closest britain has ever come.

And wages, players like Ronaldo Zidane are picking up £150,000+ a Week. Sol campbell was reportedly offered £200,000 to play for Real Madrid!! Thats almost a miillion a month (probably over once you include sponsors and bonuses). 12million a year!! It's rediculas, you could retire after a couple of months, or hire another player to play instead of you :D

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
yep have to agree on Dyer, he's a great player with a lot of potential but to go as far as to compare with Maradona isn't right IMO, Maradona is a legend, a player who could do anything with the ball a God when it comes to football.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Dyer sure is a great player, and I do hope he'll get his NT breakthrough during the WC (as long as it wont be against Sweden :nervous: ).
But he still has a bit left to reach Maradonna's caliber...but who knows, an event like a WC can lift players sky high, perhaps that will be the case with Dyer :excited:

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
He's promising, but to think he is as good as Maradona now? It's just pure blasphemy. How on earth can anyone believe anyone will ever be as good as Maradona again? Him & Pele were once in a millenium occurences, & 2 came along within 20 years of each other. Don't expect another for a fair while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts