Xtratime Community banner

Do you think "soft" penalties should be ignored by referees?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In today's Real x Juve game, Raul's shirt was pulled inside the box (unless i'm mistaken Zebina pulled it). I thought it was a penalty, but ESPN's commentator dismissed it as a "soft" penalty, and that it happens all the time. But 'soft' or not, a foul was committed inside the box, lotsa people saw it, and yet the ref can choose not to give the penalty – because it happens all the time!! :dazed: :googly:

What IS a "soft" penalty, really? If shirt-pulling is a foul and fouling inside the box is a penalty, shouldn't shirt-pulling inside the box be a penalty? IMHO it would be highly beneficial to football as a whole if penalties were conceded EVERYtime a defender pulled his opponent's shirt inside the box, period. The forwards shouldn't be subjected to these kinds of pro-defense "exceptions" – if the defensive players are unable to stop their opponents without committing a foul, then it's absurd to allow them to make the fouls and then say they were "soft" fouls. If it's a foul, it's a penalty, goddamit!

One may argue that shirt-pulling is not a violent foul.... but shirt-pulling (and all the other variations of "soft penalties", like grabbing the attacker) makes the forward lose his balance – for example, today Raul was setting up a shot inside the box when his shirt was pulled. So the defender directly interferes by using an illegal method. There is no violence, but it's an infraction. What's the point in ruling that something is an infraction if referees will pretend not to see it when it happens?

Not to mention that the concept of "soft" penalties effectively gives the referee the power to "give" goal-opportunities to either side at will. A dishonest ref only needs to give all the penalties he wants to whoever he chooses. If we were to erase the imaginary distinction of "soft" penalty and stablish that shirt-pulling inside the box should ALWAYS be a penalty, there would be less space for biased refereeing. After all, grey areas such as "soft penalties" and offsides are the Magical Kingdom of corrupt referees.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I 'd only give a penalty if it is "justified".
Justified = When a team suffered a big enough disadvantage to potentially score a goal that a new chance (the penalty) is handed.
All those "fouls" where a player is only looking for being fouled I'd wave play on. Or if the ball is already bouncing miles away. Same goes for simple shirt pulling (happens all the time on corners).
If a player reaches the ball with his head and is unable to get a header on goal because his shirt is pulled then it's a penalty, otherwise no.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
In an ideal world, yes, any foul in the box would be a penalty, and only the level of the foul would determine if there should be a card.

But in an ideal world, there would be no diving to muddy the issue, and refs would have an easy job because people wouldn't be cheating every week.

So it balances out.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The idea is that you stick to the rules, so if it is a foul in the area then it is a penalty. If the referee sees it clearly or not is something else.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
We all know Refree is not the 'perfect man' on earth :glasses: I think it all depends on Refree, but the ideal answer for me is the give penatly for the foul inside the box.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
it's a no-brainer, if someone pulls a shirt it's a penalty, absolutely no question, i think the only people that would vote against are lumbering oaf defenders who secretly wished that they had enough skill to be a forward. :googly:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Somebody tell the Juve-Madrid ref from today that.

Zebina was practically stretching Raul's shirt to make a blanket for himself all the way around his body.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Unless you start calling these "soft" penalties, then defenders will continue to do these actions. Only when you start calling them, they will stop doing such actions.

So i am for calling them, yes, but i do agree ref's jobs are not easy, and they could be fooled by "divers" as well. I am for camera replays for PKs, offsides...etc, where each time has a right to ask for a replay once a game. You can't hate it till you try it ;)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Usually defenders pull on the back of the opponent's jersey, so the ref's view is blocked either by the defender himself or because the attacker has is back turned away from the ref. It must be nigh on impossible to make an accurate call from the referee's position.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Penalty should be given no matter what. Referees have to follow the fvcking rules. Otherwise what are these rules for???

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Nauan said:
Penalty should be given no matter what. Referees have to follow the fvcking rules. Otherwise what are these rules for???
Well, some of the rules are to be applied under the ref's judgement, that is, imo, one of the things that makes a ref better than just a good ref.

About the Raul play, I am not sure I would have called that a soft penalty, that was a pk period.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
It was a foul inside the area. If that happens then it is a penalty. Penalty should have been awarded end of story!

As Arnaldo cesar Coelho says: "The rule is clear"!

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
If rules are to be applied strictly, a foul in the box is a PK. There are referees who may not award PKs for shirt tugging, either the referee's view is being blocked, or shirt tugging is deemed a "soft" foul. But if both the striker & defender are guilty of shirt pulling, the decision will most likely go in favor of the defender.

Can anyone recall the last time a PK was given for shirt tugging? Was it Hierro's foul on Quinn at WC 2002?

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
that wasnt a penalty, we are not playing ballet here, it's not the epl u know ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There should be two types for fouls inside the D. A penalty and an indirect free kick (or a shot corner).
It is up to the refree's discretion on when to award what and rules can be made for each. But then again, whenever it comes to judgement it can be right and it can be wrong.
But like the penalty corner rule in field hockey, they can try something and see if it works.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
If referees adopted an actual common policy for a change (difficult I know) on these incidents, people would stop referring to them as soft penalties. They would simply be standard penalty awards. If a defender pulls on a strikers shirt it should be a penalty, regardless of whether the striker has the ball or not. Of course in most of these shirt pulling cases it's not just a one-way thing, with strikers often just as guilty as defenders.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
a soft PK is the pk Raul got for falling down when he saw Dellas coming at him during the corner kick...that was soft...and another soft one was in the other real game Ronaldo got for falling down on his own two feet...those 2 were soft...but it is Madrid so they will get the call. cant do anything about it, its always gonna happen like that in all leagues.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
AS_Roma83 said:
a soft PK is the pk Raul got for falling down when he saw Dellas coming at him during the corner kick...that was soft...and another soft one was in the other real game Ronaldo got for falling down on his own two feet...those 2 were soft...but it is Madrid so they will get the call. cant do anything about it, its always gonna happen like that in all leagues.
last season you should have seen the way Raul used to dive and always get a penalty WHY?? because he is RAUL and he plays in REAL MADRID!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts