Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Zidane

Votes: 32 62.7%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
52,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zidane fanboy hypno made a following argument in Savisevic vs Zidane thread after seeing his idol lose:

This thread is a no brainer.

Those voting against Zidane vote because they CONTEST Zidane iconic status; not because they feel Savicevic was better.
Put anyname against Zizou; and you will get the same ratio with Zidane losing the poll.

Zidane is the latest football legend ; We all have been part of his legendary career and this is what makes us difficult to label him as an icon of football because it is very recent in our memories.

More time will pass, the more the Zidane legend will settle. It is how it goes: Like painters, they are never as acclaimed as when they are gone.

Savisevic, sadly, is just here to represent the contestation vote against Zidane iconic status. No more...
do you really think if let's say Jay Jay Okocha would be instead of Savisevic he would have won the poll :rollani:
I really believe so.
The funny thing is that there were a similar poll with Zico VS Zidane (still him...) and Zidane ended up losing the poll with the same ratio as against Savicevic.

Then Zico on par with Savicevic??? Come on....

The truth is that Zidane is the most iconic player from the last 10 years and some don't stand this status...

Zidane will always lose this kind of polls, no matter who he is facing.
Those threads/polls only awakes mostly haters and some die-hard fans.

All the ones in between who love football do know where Zidane ranks. :)
so let's see if hypno is right and people will really prefer Okocha to Zidane

Okocha was an awesome player of course

In fact I'm not sure who to prefer there...two fantastic African midfielders both of them :thumbsup:

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
It would have been a perfect test.... if I hadn't been quoted.
Now, many will biase their vote to prove me wrong...

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Hypno has a point though Andy, even if he exaggerates. Its trendy to say Zizou is overrated and go for other players over him, though they have to be other magical and great players, not just any player. But yeah, been a clear trend to diss Zizou IMO. And no, not saying it because of the Savicevic thread, even if the pattern was shown there too.

·
1st Tier Poster
52,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
of course maybe I made a mistake by picking JayJay here as let's face it: when we are talking about technical and dribbling skills then he was at least on par if not better than Zidane:

[tub]swptzrAb3as[/tub]

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
lol I go for Okocha over Zidane when comparing both in their prime.

One of the most talented players the world has ever seen and I'm not even joking. Guy was sick.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
its a piss thread non the less, saying Savicevic was better then Zidane is over the top. As great as Savicevic was Zidane was better. But coming from the people that say Van Bastes was a much better player then Romario anything is possible.

·
1st Tier Poster
52,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is that Zidane in his prime wasn't that good as some people want you to believe. If you watch his career as a whole then it is amazing, his consistency and effectiveness in important occasions can't be doubted. But there are several other players who maybe had the same talent as him but simply weren't at the right place at the right time to put it into full use or were unlucky with injuries. Therefore their career as a whole pales in comparison to Zidane's legend. Yet on their prime they might have been performing on the same amazing level or even better than him. Okocha is one of these players.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
lol I go for Okocha over Zidane when comparing both in their prime.

One of the most talented players the world has ever seen and I'm not even joking. Guy was sick.
If he was more talented, how come no big clubs were interested in buying him...instead he played in mediocre clubs such as Paris St. Germain and Bolton Wanderers? And he was playing in his prime at the clubs mentioned.

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
its a piss thread non the less, saying Savicevic was better then Zidane is over the top. As great as Savicevic was Zidane was better. But coming from the people that say Van Bastes was a much better player then Romario anything is possible.
No disrespect to Savicevic, scared me more then any other Milan player did (except Baggio, who I was scared of before realizing he would flop). But yeah, you are totally right. For alot of them (except the Serbs and some genuine others), I dont think its as much about Savicevic as its to put down Zizou prolly.

I mean, I wouldnt be suprised if soon someone makes a Le Tissier VS Zizou thread with prolly many taken the piss, but few genuine Zizou haters seriously arguing that Zizou was inferior. Wouldnt suprise me one bit.

Now Okocha has been done, prolly Djalminha next :D

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
maybe Zidane had a brilliant career because he was consistent, unlike Savicevic, most of the games I saw he would play way above average and thats what sets brilliant players apart from talented players.

it takes mental strenght to always perform, that was the difference with Zidane and Ronaldo. Maybe Savicevic, Cristiano, Henry and Okocha were as skilled on their day, but unfortunatly those days were far to few when compared to someone like Zidane.

I can pick videos of Djalminha doing things Zidane did not even dream about, but he did not deliver as often and had a terrible temper. If his career was not that great its not a question of opportunity and luck, after all these players Okocha, Djalminha and Savicevic all had great opportunities, its not a case of a great talent not breaking into a good squad.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
If he was more talented, how come no big clubs were interested in buying him...instead he played in mediocre clubs such as Paris St. Germain and Bolton Wanderers? And he was playing in his prime at the clubs mentioned.
Consistancy? Attitude? Injuries? Take your pick.

Guy was absolutely awesome. I'm being completely serious when I say that Zidane simply wasn't capable of some of the stuff Okocha used to do when he was on it.

Okocha on his game (at Fener mostly) was Ronaldinho circa. 2004 level greatness. He had everything. Otherworldly skill levels, perfect technique, composure, vision, startling upper body strength and unbelievable shooting technique. When he put it all together at once, he was a footballing God.

Easily up there with some of the greatest talents ever.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
maybe Zidane had a brilliant career because he was consistent, unlike Savicevic, most of the games I saw he would play way above average and thats what sets brilliant players apart from talented players.

it takes mental strenght to always perform, that was the difference with Zidane and Ronaldo. Maybe Savicevic, Cristiano, Henry and Okocha were as skilled on their day, but unfortunatly those days were far to few when compared to someone like Zidane.

I can pick videos of Djalminha doing things Zidane did not even dream about, but he did not deliver as often and had a terrible temper. If his career was not that great its not a question of opportunity and luck, after all these players Okocha, Djalminha and Savicevic all had great opportunities, its not a case of a great talent not breaking into a good squad.
Good post and goes someway to explaining how I feel w/ regard to Zidane.

Another reason I say guys like Savicevic and Okocha on their day were better than Zidane is because they had this extra level of explosiveness which I think Zidane lacked.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
He was very entertaining at Bolton, yeah. But by that stage he had lost a quite a bit of his pace and generally wasn't as good as he used to be.

When people think of Okocha, they generally think of his skills, but people forget about the physical side of his game. Guy could accellerate and muscle past defenders quite well.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
All the club Okocha played in could only dream of landing Zidane...

If Okocha was that great, how come only Bolton made a reasonable offer while he was free from any contact after his 4 years at PSG?

Technical; sure he was... But that's about it.

Tell me he had a vision on par with Zidane...

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
All the club Okocha played in could only dream of landing Zidane...

If Okocha was that great, how come only Bolton made a reasonable offer while he was free from any contact after his 4 years at PSG?
Consistancy? Attitude? Injuries?
and age

obviously, you'd have to be insane to pick Okocha over Zidane when comparing the overall greatness of their careers.

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Thanks for that edit Mutu, even if moi is a big Jay Jay fan, I was being worried for you, and thought ANY MINUTE now, you would rave about the superiority of Morfeo over Zizou :D

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Another reason I say guys like Savicevic and Okocha on their day were better than Zidane is because they had this extra level of explosiveness which I think Zidane lacked.
but neither had as good of a ball controll, much less his balance. He could walk and people would not take the ball away from Zidane. Also people have this idea of Zidane being slow but I have seen him sprint past defenders countless times, he might not have the best aceleration but he was pretty fast and composed running with the ball.

Neither Okocha/Savicevic were as fast sprinting, they might have agility and explosion but Zidane overall was better.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts