Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally the name of the sport "soccer" was righfully changed to "football" in Australia, at leaft at the federation level. I still find it difficult to believe that the egg-chasers call their sport "football".

But what about the name "Socceroos"? I heard they will no longer use this nickname around the time the FFA changed it's name, but I still see it on TV etc.

(Nothing funnier than seeing "Socceroos vs. Indonesia" haha, doesn't look like an international match, but rather a circus exhibition match of sorts.

Who would like to see the name Australian National Team, or simply Australia instead of "socceroos"?

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
me, the name socceroos is a joke and will be phased out, the media have just gotta catch-on hopefully that socceroos is no-more, sooner rather than l;ater

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
It's sort of like a thing out of habit than anything. I've still heard people on SBS call it soccer rather than football now and again.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think degrading a national team to "socceroos" (which in itself is a laughable conjuction) is just plain stupid. Australia and NZ seem to have idiotic nicknames for all their national teams, nicknames are ok, but when you see that name on TV on the official commercial, on the tickets to the games and in official documents...that's just silly.

Same goes for "olyroos", "joeys" etc. Degrading in my opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The name is a joke and O'Neill has said it will go. I get the feelling at the moment part of the QANTAS deal is for the team to be the "QANTAS Socceroos" When that deal is up I would hope the name will fall from use and instaed the team can be known as the Australian National Football team

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
It's gonna talk a while for the media to get used to it give it a year.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ero said:
Australia and NZ seem to have idiotic nicknames for all their national teams, nicknames are ok, but when you see that name on TV on the official commercial, on the tickets to the games and in official documents...that's just silly.
NZ's "All Blacks" is one of the best (and most respected and intimidating) names in rugby, if not in sport generally, I think :D

and I love the way NZ'ers call their basketball team "Tall Blacks" as well :shades:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Yeah, some of theirs are pretty good. They call their football team the "All Whites" since they do wear white kits, and their netball team the Silver Ferns, if ours has one it's probably something like "Netballaroos" or something so equally lame it's embarrassing. :eek: :yuck:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yeah, but all football teams have nicknames.. i mean the french call theirs "les bleus" and so on, the italians too, the "azzurri".. what will we be? the "green and golds?"

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Ero said:
I think degrading a national team to "socceroos" (which in itself is a laughable conjuction) is just plain stupid. Australia and NZ seem to have idiotic nicknames for all their national teams, nicknames are ok, but when you see that name on TV on the official commercial, on the tickets to the games and in official documents...that's just silly.

Same goes for "olyroos", "joeys" etc. Degrading in my opinion.
Good thing your opion means very little. ;)

If you actully have a look at the names:

Socceroos
Olyroos
Joeys

You will see the names are based on Australian native animals. I think its a nice touch. It shows pasison and loyailty to ones country.

Our sports follow the same suit.

- Womens basketball team (which is very, very good) are called the Opals
- Wallabies, the worlds bet rugby side.
- Australian Men’s Hockey team, World Champions: the Kookaburras

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Vagabondo said:
NZ's "All Blacks" is one of the best (and most respected and intimidating) names in rugby, if not in sport generally, I think :D

and I love the way NZ'ers call their basketball team "Tall Blacks" as well :shades:
Yep.

The Cricket side is the 'black caps'. Great touch.

Wankski_au said:
yeah, but all football teams have nicknames.. i mean the french call theirs "les bleus" and so on, the italians too, the "azzurri".. what will we be? the "green and golds?"
Leave it at Socceroos or change it to Australian National Football side and have they nickname the 'socceroos'. Its really not a life and death issue.

As for changing the name to football thats pretty minor imo. In Australia 'real' football will Always be AFL.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Vagabondo said:

Tall blacks, how idiotic is that name. They use it officially as well, circus time. Forgive me, but I find it hilarious and degrading that this name appears OFFICIALLY on documents, articles and TV.

All whites (football)
Black caps(cricket)..HAHAHA
Silver ferns(netball)
Black sticks (hockey)...HAHAHA

funny. :howler:

South_Melbourne said:
Good thing your opion means very little. ;)

If you actully have a look at the names:

Socceroos
Olyroos
Joeys

You will see the names are based on Australian native animals. I think its a nice touch. It shows pasison and loyailty to ones country.
Australian native animals? No way? Is that it? I would've never guessed!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's just plain stupid man, the "olyroos"...hehe

But my original point, in case you missed it (it's written up there in Black and white ;)) is that these nicknames are all fine, despite being humiliating and degrading at times, but as soon as they are printed in official documents, the entire game becomes a farce.

I know it's standard practice in Rugby, but football? The national team should not be marginalised and given club status with an official name which is other than the national team in that particular sport, the national team should be above clubs and be called by it's internationally recognised name. Not some idiotic nickname an aussie journalist conjured 60 years ago or whatever. Not officially anyway. Nobody in FIFA or any has ever heard of "socceroos", "kangasoccs", "wallafootyroos", "dingohoops", "koalarackets" etc.

Egg chasing is not football, football is fotball. Egg chasing doesn't involve either a foot for much of the time, or a ball. So the entire name is flawed to begin with ;)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Ero said:
Tall blacks, how idiotic is that name. They use it officially as well, circus time. Forgive me, but I find it hilarious and degrading that this name appears OFFICIALLY on documents, articles and TV.

All whites (football)
Black caps(cricket)..HAHAHA
Silver ferns(netball)
Black sticks (hockey)...HAHAHA

funny. :howler:
Its obviously not degrading to the Kewis.

You bagging them on the other hand :rolleyes:

Australian native animals? No way? Is that it? I would've never guessed!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's just plain stupid man, the "olyroos"...HAHAHA
Thank you for your opion.

But my original point, in case you missed it (it's written up there in Black and white ;)) is that these nicknames are all fine, despite being humiliating and degrading at times, but as soon as they are printed in official documents, the entire game becomes a farce.
Who gives a shyte what the names are on the offical documents? ONly you it seems.

If a country chooses to have there name as something other than *insert name national team* I dont have problemw ith it.

I know it's standard practice in Rugby, but football?
Whats the differnce? Both a forms of football.

The national team should be marginalised and given club status with an official name,
pffft, phuck that. :rolleyes:

National sides are far more important than clubs imo. If we ever fall to the 'club status' ill be much saddened.

the national team should be above clubs and be called by it's internationally recognised name. Not some idiotic nickname a journalist conjured 60 years ago or whatever. Not officially anyway.
The game in Australia is known as 'soccer' thus the Socceroos. Once again, it isnt that big an issue and the players nor officals dont overly care.

I think its time for you to move on.

Egg chasing is not football,
Yep. There arn't people which chase egos in the modern game :rolleyes:

football is fotball.
Football is soccer.
AFL is football.

Egg chasing doesn't involve either a foot for much of the time, or a ball. So the entire name is flawed to begin with ;)
I think you'll find Ego is a major factor in the football today, son.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Football has always been and will always be FOOTBALL!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
As for changing the name to football thats pretty minor imo. In Australia 'real' football will Always be AFL.
AFL has never been "football" in NSW and I really doubt it ever will. It's known as Ausse Rules on the street & in the media.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Tancred said:
AFL has never been "football" in NSW and I really doubt it ever will. It's know as Ausse Rules on the street & in the media.
AFL hsa been, and always will be real football in Victoria, South Australia & WA.

:thmbup:

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aussie Rules is not football by any stretch of the imagination, no matter what the media pushes down your throat on a daily basis. It doesn't really involve a foot for 99% of the game, and the egg is not a ball.

A ball must be spherical in my opinion, and it's little wonder nobody outside australia plays this hideous excuse for a sport.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sth melb,

I was about to answer your arguments, when I realised you don't have an argument, nor is most of the stuff you posted coherent, and your grammer and spelling make it difficult to understand what the **** you're trying to say.

aussie rules rugby league should be the new name for the "afl" :)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Ero said:
Aussie Rules is not football by any stretch of the imagination, no matter what the media pushes down your throat on a daily basis.
Yes, it is you silly little man. :)

It doesn't really involve a foot for 99% of the game, and the egg is not a ball.
The ball is kicked for the majority of the game. Once again, i dont think you understand the sport.

In the game yesterday I watched (WCE vs Dogs) there was just under 600 kicks for the game.

A ball must be spherical in my opinion, and it's little wonder nobody outside australia plays this hideous excuse for a sport.
What you fail to understand is that you opion is not important.

We dont want anybody outside Australia to play the sport. Thus Australian football. For the record more Americans play Australian Rules football than Australians. Doesnt it suck being wrong all the time.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts