Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soccer is so stupid and pointless. Yay lets go kick a ball around and run. Its pathetic. You cant hit or tackle you have to "sidekick" the ball away and if you hit the other player you get a red card. Uh-oh a red card! Im scared. If you played hockey these guys arnt wusses and they can hit and shoot a puck. friggin soccer all you do is kikc a ball around and the net is too big for the goalie to save it.

soccer is gay.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
hockey is irrelevant as a sport

lets face it no-one hates it so much that they feel the need to search out a hockey forum, register and post a message saying how its **** or otherwise.

i dont know, maybe it is a good sport but frankly i dont care if its good, bad or indifferent because its irrelevant and it means as much to me and the rest of the world as a game of tiddlewinks or bycycle polo does

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first i did not seek out this forum as a soccer foum t dump it. the reason i am here is because it showed up at the search hockey forums and i registered and i just thought that id let you all know that soccer takes no abillity at all.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I actually think "soccer", as you call it, is a far more skillful game than hockey or any other of the "American" sports.

OK, you go & watch a game with some of the top plays, & you see the step-overs, Cruyff turns, intricate dribbling, the odd keepy-uppy (Jim Baxter, Scotland vs England in 1967 is the one that sticks in my mind:proud: ) & other such things. Then you have the well worked set-pieces, brilliant passing manuevers using all 11 players on your team & the stamina that is required to play a whole game. That's 90 minutes with one 10 minute (on average) break in the middle & you can only make 3 substitutions during the whole game. That means that at least 8 of the starters will finish the match, unless they get sent off first.

Hockey on the other hand has rolling substitutions, is far shorter & as far as I can see involves players just beating the living crap out of each other & occasionally hitting a puck into the goal if there's no one near to get into a fight with.:D

But hey, you are entitled to your opinion, but you really don't stand a chance of your 1, unintelligent post making any difference on the 5000+ members of this board. We love football & won't change those feelings.

Also, this is not a proper debate topic:)

And I think it is worth pointing out that I wouldn't go to any other sports forum & start insulting that game just because I accidentally came over it. Grow up, please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hockey is a fast paced game and so is soccer i guess. But anyone can go on a treadmill and run al day and then go play. Hockey on the other hand will have to have run, and you have to skate. SKATE! how many soccer players can skate? Not everyone can play hockey but everyne can play soccer. Soccer yah ill give you credit on how you have to run alot and not sub sometimes but still anyone can do that if they train right and treadmill al the time. How many times have you seen a soccer player run around with a bruised shoulder o abroken toe, spraind ankle? NEVER. In hockey i now kids and adults that play with hurt les arms and all body parts. There are guys that are so brave that they will get down in front of a slap shot to stop it. Beating the livin dalights in people? I dont think that people realy get hurt in hockey. It is just that occasional bump or slip since the game is on ICE.

This is the proper forum. It is a debate.

By the way parma your signature is right.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Brewin said:
How many times have you seen a soccer player run around with a bruised shoulder o abroken toe, spraind ankle? NEVER.
Dont talk about the things you know nothing about;) What you said just proves to any member here that you have no clue what football is all about;)

No sport is "better" than the other;) It all depends on our personal preferences. Every sport asks for particular skills & talent, football and hockey being no different.

You prefer hockey? fine. Most of us here prefer football. There is no reason to argue about it.:)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I disagree with you, aca. Football is better than everything else. We all live in democratic countries (I think...), so why don't we have a vote.

I vote for Football (soccer) being better than American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Aussie Rules, Cricket, Tennis, Rugby Union & League, Hockey, and Ice Hockey, all together.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think if you asked every person in the world which sport was their favourite, football would come out on top by a couple of billion votes;)

Trust me, football players play injured. Even sh!t amateurs like me play injured. And I certainly think footballers play with such "serious" injuries as bruised shoulders:D And I'd like to see you kicking a ball around with a broken toe:rolleyes:

And I'd like to point out that they don't skate in hockey, you have that mixed up with ice hockey. Hockey is played on a field rather than a rink. But that's beside the point. Footballers don't skate because they don't need to.

How many ice hockey players can dribble around with a ball at their feet, pulling away from people & dodging tackles.

And I'd like to finish this post by saying that while everyone can play football, everyone can play hockey, everyone can play rugby, everyone can play golf, everyone can play basketball & everyone can play ice hockey. Just some people do it better than others, which is why they are the pros. It's the same no matter what sport you are talking about. I'd like to see Wayne Gretzky (about the only ice hockey player i know:D) take on Luis Figo at a 1-on-1 game of football. 2 empty goals & just see who can score the most in 10 minutes. I think you'll notice that the professional footballer would kick the ex-professional ice hockey players ass.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Brewin said:
Hockey is a fast paced game and so is soccer i guess. But anyone can go on a treadmill and run al day and then go play. Hockey on the other hand will have to have run, and you have to skate. SKATE! how many soccer players can skate? Not everyone can play hockey but everyne can play soccer.
How many hockey players can control a football and dribble down the pitch, and round a couple of defenders to create a goal or a chance to score a goal? Your argumentation is rather rediculous Mr. Brewin. :rolleyes: Hockey players play hockey and footballers play football for a reason. They have different talents and it has nothing to with one sport being 'better' than another one.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Why try to explain the intricacies of our beautiful game to an 8 year old such as Brewin? It's beyond his power of comprehension.

Be a good little boy, Brewin. Take your hockey puck and teddy bear and go back to bed. Daddy will be mad if he finds out you stayed up this late.

Good night, little fellow. Pleasant dreams!!

:) :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I had to laugh at the comment that FOOTBALL(Not fecking Soccer)needed no skill :howler: :howler: :howler:

Ok then you explian to me why the best teams in the world aren't trying to snap me up for £40m+ like they did Zinedine Zidane. Just a slight skill difference.

Hockey??????? :eek: :confused: :eek: :dazed: :dontcare: :dontcare: :groan:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I've played both. As a child I played hockey and I've also played football as a child. Believe me football requires much more skill. Yes, anyone can play (soccer) and run up and kick the ball. However, if your talking about playing the sport well, than you need an incredible amount of skill. It ain't no easy task to shoot the ball accurately, fake out opponents, head the ball accurately, run with the ball at top level speeds while keeping your head up to see where your teammates are, etc, etc.... Hockey on the other hand, as long as you can skate well and your strong, you can play the sport. Give me a break, no comparison.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Brewin, go out and get help!

I thought about participating in this discussion. But when I saw how many members already are explaining the facts to our uninformed friend mr. Brewin, I realized we're killing a mosquito with a bazooka here.

Yo, Brewin! Go out and get some more hockey fans so we can have a more interesting argument, this is really one-sided, man! Your lame points aren't helping either - work on 'em! :smileani:

By the way, I think hockey isn't as interesting as football, but it certainly beats the hell out of baseball... the Second Most Boring Sport on Earth!
(the first is cricket of course.) :wallbang: :googly: :dielaugh:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Brewin is a f*cking moron, but he's not alone judging by the idiots who can't argue the merit of SOCCER (THAT'S RIGHT! SOCCER) without taking swipes at American sports.

Morons.

That is all.

Note to self:

Go Decaf.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've had a friend lose four of his front teeth playing as a goalkeeper. He'd have been saved had he been wearing a helmet as they do in ice-hockey. I've had another break his ankle in two places. Well that probably wouldn't have happened in American Football. And I've had another friend temporary lose his memory after a bad head collision. Again a helmet would have helped.
And I know for a fact that an average midfielder runs about 12 kms during an average game.

Brewein, before you attack something, get some knowledge about it first.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Brewin said:
Soccer is so stupid and pointless. Yay lets go kick a ball around and run. Its pathetic. You cant hit or tackle you have to "sidekick" the ball away and if you hit the other player you get a red card. Uh-oh a red card! Im scared. If you played hockey these guys arnt wusses and they can hit and shoot a puck. friggin soccer all you do is kikc a ball around and the net is too big for the goalie to save it.

soccer is gay.
WOOW interesting post there, Brewie ... :rolleyes:

Although I think, as Garrincha, it would be silly to answer now when almost everybody else has done it. I'm still doing though ;)

ChelseaBear said:
... FOOTBALL(Not fecking Soccer) ...
Couldn't agree more :howler:!

I don't know what it is, but when I hear someone talk about football and he says soccer instead I lose all respect for him as a fan. I know it's called soccer in the States though, but I still think it's a bit pathetic when some bloke refers to 'soccer'. I know this might seem ignorent too, but it's just the way I see it ;).

Brewin take your Budweiser and you cheese hat and stay away from Xtratiem :mad:!!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Re: Re: Soccer.

Yakubu said:

Couldn't agree more :howler:!

I don't know what it is, but when I hear someone talk about football and he says soccer instead I lose all respect for him as a fan. I know it's called soccer in the States though, but I still think it's a bit pathetic when some bloke refers to 'soccer'. I know this might seem ignorent too, but it's just the way I see it ;).
What a great keen sense of observation you have there - if it wasn't for your mild awareness of your own idiocy, I'd almost categorize the merit of earning your respect from zilch to the nothing vacuum of space. So instead of the usual:finger: :ass: otherwise, I give ye just a :finger:.

Keep up the confidence boost therapy, it's bearing fruit.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
It's called 'Football', not 'Soccer'. Some intelligent Americans in the early 20th Century decided that they couldn't pronouce 'Association Football', so just called it 'Soccer' instead. Why is it continually called 'Soccer', when it's blatantly football, and is going to overtake American football as America's biggest sport in the next 20 years?

Anyone that calls it 'Soccer' (like some English colleagues of mine) is living in the past. Isolationism is over. America can't afford to buck the trend any more. It's called football.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Bastin said:

Anyone that calls it 'Soccer' (like some English colleagues of mine) is living in the past.
I love the eighties! "Soccer!" "Soccer!" "Soccer!"

... and anyone who thinks that SOCCER will overtake American Football in America any time in the next ten millennium is an utter dunno diddly moron.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts