Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally happened. 'Soccer' is dead in this country, it's now being called 'football' as of January 1st, 2005. Not only is 'soccer' dead, so is the nickname 'Socceroos'. We are simply called Australia now.

A proud day for roundball fans in Australia.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
This truly is a joyous event - now it's just the Americans who will stand alone as football philistines.

·
Banned
65 Posts
As a long time devoted follower of FOOTBALL I'm in full agreement with ASA dropping the dreaded word 'soccer' from it's official title however it's going to be years if not decades before the general Australian sporting public start using the correct terminoligy for the beautiful game.

The eggchasers and the aerial ping-pong boys that 'rule the roost' in the australian sporting media will see to that believe me and who can blame them really anybody would be protective of their own interests would'nt they.

Here in Brisbane the local media rarely gives our local game any coverage whatsoever and although in recent weeks articles have started to appear about the Lions in the courier-mail you get the feeling it's all being said through gritted teeth!!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Boroboy said:
As a long time devoted follower of FOOTBALL I'm in full agreement with ASA dropping the dreaded word 'soccer' from it's official title however it's going to be years if not decades before the general Australian sporting public start using the correct terminoligy for the beautiful game.

The eggchasers and the aerial ping-pong boys that 'rule the roost' in the australian sporting media will see to that believe me and who can blame them really anybody would be protective of their own interests would'nt they.

Here in Brisbane the local media rarely gives our local game any coverage whatsoever and although in recent weeks articles have started to appear about the Lions in the courier-mail you get the feeling it's all being said through gritted teeth!!
How's the knee coming along?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Boroboy said:
ERRRr what knee :confused: :confused:
Apologies, I thought you may have been a certain Brisbane-based Boro man another forum that some of us here frequent.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
khimik said:
It's finally happened. 'Soccer' is dead in this country, it's now being called 'football' as of January 1st, 2005. Not only is 'soccer' dead, so is the nickname 'Socceroos'. We are simply called Australia now.

A proud day for roundball fans in Australia.

I really like the name....but that logo is absolutely shit. It reminds me of the cricket and it seems so old fashioned. I am studying industrial design and that doesnt make my view any greater than anyone elses but from a design aspect i hate it and like it. Probably because it a nice logo (even thought its old fashioned) but it just reminds me of cricket...what sport are we trying to promote here is what im asking. Its a nice logo but i definately dont think its suitable for AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL (Finally we can give the shit to aussie rules)...aussies have bad taste!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Yes the world game is actually here

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Sampdoria - where are you studying Industrial Design? I did Industrial Design at University of Western Sydney..

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Bosanac said:
Sampdoria - where are you studying Industrial Design? I did Industrial Design at University of Western Sydney..

yeh? thats mad, im doing it second year at Swinburne Uni.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
soccer becomes football
football becomes aussie rules

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Who was the dumbass that called Aussie rules "football" in the first place, what a donkey. And how the hell did it take off? 90% of the game is played with the hands...it's idiotic if you ask me.

Good move for SA to change the name...now if only the A"F"L will change it's name...fat chance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts