Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fu(k em all, Im glad I havent paid a dollar to save their sorry asses this season.......

hows this:

The melbourne dragons were a proposed consortium from china who had backing from shangai (the biggest club) and a big TV network as well as big business bucks from melbourne chinese to introduce a melbourne side. The offered a potential TV market of over 100,000,000 yep thats 100 million viewers! :eek: they would use the team as a way to extend business into australia by sending several chinese players each season. They wanted to try and get all of melbourne to support them (not hard) and I think with some smart marketing they could have crowds to rival perth at colonial stadium, but knoppy put the kaybosch on the deal saying its not mainstream

excuse me what the FU(K IS Glascow rangers taking over the spirit????? what is Newcastle and Leeds for (olympic,and brisbane)?????? Same fu(king deal, its just that rangers leeds and newcastle are anglo and shangai are nips. Disgrace :fero:

Ireally hope they go down the toilet

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I see your points Gio and agree with you abt the whole issue with British clubs buying our clubs out (or a majority share in them), but i can see where Knoppy and co are coming from as this is a sensitive issue.

I guess the perception Knoppy and co are worried about is that despite how successful the business plan for the club is and the potential $$$ to be gained from TV (although this seems to have burst as iTV and Kirsch can testify to) and gate receipts, the idea of the chinese community here getting behind a chinese owned team would make it look like just another ethnic club, especially as the Chinese have a reputation as being very "clannish" compared to other ethnic groups, probably because their culture is so different from Western Culture and they are such a numerous race with a long history. I think this may be a soccer speicific issue though since big Asian companies often pout heaps of $$$$ into Australian sporting events (f.ex Canon into the Golf, KIA into the Australian open tennis stc...) yet nobody questions this

Having said that, if Knoppy will can an idea like this but let the likes of Glasgow Spirit/Northern Rangers/ Northern Protestants ;) (see there is potential for religious tension as well with Rangers and/or Celtic involved) and let the likes of Leeds and Newcastle come and rape and pilliage the already violated National league, then he might as well let South Melbourne, Sydney Utd, Melb Knights, Olympic etc... revert to their original name since there is obviously a case of double standards in action. As far as i am concerned then we either have a league with ethnic teams like we have had for the past 30 odd years and successful newer sides like Newcastle and Perth and let the Chinese buy into the Melbourne Knights, which would make history by becoming the first Bi-ethnic club in Australia (and perhaps in the world) or have no ethnic ties to clubs or links to o/s clubs, which means Spirit can piss off (have never liked them since they are a north shore clubs backed by all the lib pollies and would have been better serving the central coast, AND only let Rangers buy into them out of desperation since they were abt to go bankrupt)

There may be ethnic double standards as well Tiger although this is a cynical view (and "nips" refers to Japs BTW not the Chinese :D :tongue: ). Obviously having English club buying clubs out is good for our players from a football POV since the EPL is a strong league, but a Scottish club buying an NSL club out is not of much benefit since the Scottish league without Cletic and Rangers is ****e and probably not much better than the NSL. The same could be said of the Chinese club b/c the Chinese league is largely unknown and although it is improving is probably not up to the standard of thr S-League, J-league or the Saudi league.

However i am totally against this whole big club buying small club out anyway since i don't see how it benefits the small club. All the best players go to the big club while OCCASIONALLY the small club will get a youth player or a fringe player who can't get into the first team. I don't see how that is of any benefit when this type of player is taken away again after only a short time at the club :fero: :sigh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts