Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
how are the knockout stages structured? Which group plays who? Will argentina and Brasil play in the final, or could they meet earlier?

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
If Brasil and Argentina both finish top of their groups, they'll meet in the semis. We might see one of them deliberately finish 2nd in the group stage, which will mean a meeting in the final if they progress all the way.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I'll be surprised, and actually a bit worried, if Dunga's team wins this tournament. The guy is a total dumbass, but it wouldn't be the first time that our players' individual talents overcame our manager's vast deficiencies and stumbled their way to victory. There's a pretty strong Argentina team on the way, of course, even though in recent years they've self-combusted at the mere sight of the yellow shirts MANY times, so who knows how they'd react if/when the two teams meet again.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Brasil's team - on paper it looks very promising, but not enough for me to ignore our manager's crushing incompetence, or the fact that the most famous "star" on Brasil's Olympic team is desperate to rebuild his reputation after two solid years of uselessness.

On one hand it would be nice for Brasil to finally win the long-desired Olympic Gold Medal, the only footballing award that Brasil has never won... but on the other hand, getting kicked out of the Olympics might be that little extra push that we apparently need to get rid of Dunga. :happy: In a way, I guess it could be a win-win situation for Brasil - in the sense that we can either win the Gold, or lose and get rid of an idiot coach in the process; but I fear a third alternative, which would be to make a halfway-decent campaign and then be eliminated by someone respectable like Italy or Argentina, which probably wouldn't be enough to get Dunga sacked. :(

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
this is a possible brazil team:

renan
rafinha - breno - alex silva - marcelo
hernanes - lucas
thiago neves - anderson
pato - ronaldinho

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
This has got to be one of the stupidest football tournaments on the planet. Okay, I could live with this tournament having EVERY playing having to be under 23 but whats the point of having up to 3 players overaged :confused:. It makes the football look like a side show to all the individual events at the Olympics. Sure it may be nice experience for countries like Honduras, New Zealand and China - who probably won't be going to the big show(the World Cup) any time soon, but I have doubts if it really helps(in terms of development and cohesion) any of the teams and players involved.

P.S. - Brazil looks like one lost team nowadays and there football has lost its way, which is just sad

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Argentina are favourites but Ze's line-up has a potentially phenomenal midfield quartet.
That is the starting line up of Dunga. Thiago Neves is a good option for the midfield in the second half.

The team was well picked by Dunga, let's see if he can gel them up then we can have a good shout.

Personally I prefer to win the gold medal in London olympics and have Dunga be taken out of charge of the Brazilian NT. But it would be brill to win gold for Brazil and have Ronaldinho Gaucho have a real smile on his face again.:) He deserves it.:)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
If Brasil and Argentina both finish top of their groups, they'll meet in the semis. We might see one of them deliberately finish 2nd in the group stage, which will mean a meeting in the final if they progress all the way.
It wont be us... we play to win every single game in EVERY LEVEL. We have a reputation to live up to

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I'll be surprised, and actually a bit worried, if Dunga's team wins this tournament. The guy is a total dumbass, but it wouldn't be the first time that our players' individual talents overcame our manager's vast deficiencies and stumbled their way to victory. There's a pretty strong Argentina team on the way, of course, even though in recent years they've self-combusted at the mere sight of the yellow shirts MANY times, so who knows how they'd react if/when the two teams meet again.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Brasil's team - on paper it looks very promising, but not enough for me to ignore our manager's crushing incompetence, or the fact that the most famous "star" on Brasil's Olympic team is desperate to rebuild his reputation after two solid years of uselessness.

On one hand it would be nice for Brasil to finally win the long-desired Olympic Gold Medal, the only footballing award that Brasil has never won... but on the other hand, getting kicked out of the Olympics might be that little extra push that we apparently need to get rid of Dunga. :happy: In a way, I guess it could be a win-win situation for Brasil - in the sense that we can either win the Gold, or lose and get rid of an idiot coach in the process; but I fear a third alternative, which would be to make a halfway-decent campaign and then be eliminated by someone respectable like Italy or Argentina, which probably wouldn't be enough to get Dunga sacked. :(
If Dunga doesn't win gold he will be sacked, whether Ricardo Teixeira likes it or not... the press is gonna be all over him. Or he wins gold, or he is out of a job, simple as that. And the guy who has to save him, is the guy that he doesn't get all that well along.. Ronaldinho Gaucho.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Argentina will be playing their group stage matches and likely quarters and semifinal 10 minutes walk from my home, so I think I'll go and watch Messi and the kids a few times :).
wow, just wow. I envy you. As Ze Da Fiel said, it will be the building blocks for the next world cup, so I am excited.

By the way, are you from Denmark?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I would be very surprised if Argentina didnt win it. Tbh Argentina and Brazil are the only reasons i'm going to watch the olympics, if not for those two teams I could not care less about it.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
There's a pretty strong Argentina team on the way, of course, even though in recent years they've self-combusted at the mere sight of the yellow shirts MANY times, so who knows how they'd react if/when the two teams meet again.
not this time imo, may be u need to wait 2-3 years until these guys play for the national team. Currently we are better in U20 and U23 teams

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
argentina will win it... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Ok so first impressions of this tournament is that the referee's are going to ruin a lot of matches. I've been flicking between a bunch of matches and Kompany has been sent of harshly, the Japan match has had clear penalties turned down and the general decision making throughout the match has been poor.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts