Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we're talking numbers then we are suppoed to assume somewhere close to three million people. I suppose they never really had a great fanbase to begin with, but it was very much existent and although in the beginning not many people supported Chelsea, they certainly had enough for the size of the club they were i.e mid -table.

I always assumed they had some more fans because there are plenty of people that live in the area that is represented. e.g Putney, Kensington, Hammersmith even the likes of Wimbledon and inner and outer West London areas. These are very nice places to live and shop. The very representation of London. It is usually occupied by the rich and occasionally, the famous.

After Chelsea became rich and famous themselves, I would have thought we would see more fans but I've only seen the occasional smattering of people dressed in a Chelsea shirt at Leicester Square. I'm also surprised at the lack of Worldwide appeal Chelsea seem to have. Everyone else is too busy supporting Liverpool, Manchester United or Real Madrid. As far as I can see, almost everyone supports Real Madrid especially after the Beckham move, Liverpool are still known for their success in the 70s and 80s and half of Man Utd's fanbase is in London - presumably not long after the treble winning season.

Even here on XT, we have kat, a true Chelsea supporter through and through, but from what I can see, all the Chelsea fans here are appear to support other teams and Chelsea is their secondary team.

Living close to Chelsea and working closer to Arsenal, I meet a new Arsenal fan everyday. There is no shortage of Arsenal fans but I don't know anybody at all that supports Chelsea.

How is it that a club, located in such a beautiful area, one of the most classic areas of London, with some of the best restaurants in the country, one of the most convienient places to live, one of the most richest clubs in the world, three time league champions and above all else, an English club not have any fans? - or are there more fans than there appear to be?

·
THE
14,773 Posts
I have a second team as well :)

As JM said, we are tea drinking opera lovers. :D We are cleverly diguised. If you'd meet me on street, you'd never ever belive I had anything even remotely connected with sport, ok maybe tennis, but not football.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
How is it that a club, located in such a beautiful area, one of the most classic areas of London, with some of the best restaurants in the country, one of the most convienient places to live, one of the most richest clubs in the world, three time league champions and above all else, an English club not have any fans? - or are there more fans than there appear to be?

Because they're a shit, snide little club that nobody cared about until the Russian Mob took it over.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Because they have no soul, no identity, like American sports clubs.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
The Chelsea fans that I do know are absolute die-hard Chelsea fans, season ticket holders for many many years. Outside of them, no I don't know many when compare to Arsenal, Liverpool or scum fans. Funny how many people in South East England have stetched tedious links to the North West.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Iv lived in North London all my life and have only met 2-3 Chelsea fans. Its all Arsenal, Spurs and Man United here. With the odd Liverpool. Chelsea fans are almost non existant even after the Abramovich takeover. Strange.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Because your comparing them to massive clubs liek Arsenal,Man United.

In truth, Chelsea were always a Uefa Cup team until Abramovic came along. They got into Champions league a few times, but were mainly in the CWC adn Uefa Cup.

The people who live in their area are more suited to a game of polo too.

Theyv also been priced out.

Plenty more reasons.

Overall, theyre a club fighting above their weight because of 1 man.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
My uncle supports Chelsea, so do his kids. They supported Chelsea though all their lives, my cousins are in their 20s, so they're hardly glory hunters. I know one other lad who supported Chelsea since he was a kid, because of Zola.

But no, Chelsea don't have any strongholds of support it seems.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
And how much did they have to spend to get there? What were their finances like when RA came in? Could have been a Leeds mk II
Well I dont really want to tihnk about it because their chairman and crooks (watch me be banned from Leeds games and bad mouthed in the next programme notes) are now at Leeds.

They were struggling I think, big time.

A couple of weeks did I hear til they went out of business?

Not sure, but they certainly werent challenging Alan Sugar for profits.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts