Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across several Azzurri supporters on forums and streets alike that contradict themselves time and time again. Nobody seems to keep a standard. When Camoranesi was called up for the Azzurri, some fans said no to his inclusion and some fans said yes because of the notion he has "Italian blood," whatever that means. Some Azzurri fans I know were insulting Camoranesi back when he received his first cap, citing that Camoranesi was not born in Italy and not Italian. Now some of the same people praise Camoranesi for joining the Azzurri and consider him an Italian while adamantly saying "NO" to a possible call up of Amauri. What will happen when Amauri lights up the pitch in blue and potentially helps Italy win another trophy?

Then you have some fans who argue that only players with "Italian blood," whatever that means, are acceptable candidates for the Azzurri. Apparently we all have different sorts of blood, with my personal blood consisting of country-like cells from Poland, Holland, Germany and Czheckoslovakia (or is it just Slovakia now?). By the logic of some Azzurri fans, I could play for either of those nations because I have "dot dot dot blood." Yet, however, some of these same fans who use the blood argument are relishing the prospect of Balotelli suiting up for the Azzurri. This kid has "Ghanaian blood," whatever that means. If Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri because he has Italian grandparents, how can Balotelli play for the Azzurri with only a family consisting of Africans? Is the blood argument only valid in some cases?

Then we come to Amauri. He has no "Italian blood," whatever that means, not a familiar Italian name, etc. Some Azzurri fans want him, but most don't want him because he has "no connection to Italy whatsoever." However, he does have European roots, with ancestors from all over present day Europe. Perhaps he may even have some ancestors who moved into or out of "Italy" during the Renaissance or after the Crusades. Who knows? Perhaps the US National Team could call up some particularly stunning Chimpanzee to wow the crowd, because, as you know, Darwin's theory of evolution is becoming more accepted with every passing day. I have monkey's blood proven by evolution, so therefore I could play for the theoretical Monkey National Team.

This is not about any particular players because the players I used as examples are just a little sample of this reoccurring hypocrisy. What people need to do is uphold a standard and stick with it, not making excuses for some players just because they're damn good for the side. If Balotelli is a viable candidate for the Azzurri, then the whole nation of Italy could "adopt" Amauri and have him suit up in blue as well. There really isn't two ways about this issue.

So who can play for the Azzurri?

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Did somebody hear something?

no?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And one more point. Many Azzurri "supporters" are not Italians. How can such "supporters" say no to the likes of Camoranesi and Amauri when they're even less Italian?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
we ve got an Italian National Team Forum.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we ve got an Italian National Team Forum.
But this topic also has to do with France, Germany, the US, and all other sorts of Nations. In reality it's about FIFA regulations.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
It's simple, really. Players who (want to) play for another NT cause he couldn't make it in his "original" NT or cause he thinks they suck etc, they shouldn't be allowed to play for another NT. It creates a situation where a player (if he is good enough) will be able to "chose" which NT he will play. My opinion is that this isn't something you should chose, you (should) know this from the start. If you've felt yourself italian (or whatever) from early years than it's "no question" imo.

FIFA should do something to prevent players chosing other NTs just cause they couldn't get a shot at first one, or cause the first one sucks etc.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
And one more point. Many Azzurri "supporters" are not Italians. How can such "supporters" say no to the likes of Camoranesi and Amauri when they're even less Italian?
I agree with you that there should be consistency, if Camo isn't a problem for Italy then Amauri shouldn't be. but for those who disagree with either being in the NT, being a non-Italian Azzurri fan is irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you that there should be consistency, if Camo isn't a problem for Italy then Amauri shouldn't be. but for those who disagree with either being in the NT, being a non-Italian Azzurri fan is irrelevant.
I'm not sure about that bro. It has everything to do with it. I mean, who are foreigners to say who should play for a nation they aren't a part of? Isn't that like Americans saying to Palestinians Israel should exist?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'm not sure about that bro. It has everything to do with it. I mean, who are foreigners to say who should play for a nation they aren't a part of? Isn't that like Americans saying to Palestinians Israel should exist?
That is something entirely different. We are fans, so we have a vested interest in the team, just as we are Juve fans that aren't from italy, and we have our opinions on this and that on Juve issues. That Israel-Palestine thing is something that doesn't concern us.

Btw, I don't mind Amauri or Camo playing for Italy, but I can understand others' concern.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is something entirely different. We are fans, so we have a vested interest in the team, just as we are Juve fans that aren't from italy, and we have our opinions on this and that on Juve issues. That Israel-Palestine thing is something that doesn't concern us.
But what if you're a "fan" of Israel?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
But what if you're a "fan" of Israel?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but on a sensitive issue like that I don't think that anyone should be involved except Palestine and Israel.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but on a sensitive issue like that I don't think that anyone should be involved except Palestine and Israel.
But this is a sensitive issue. There are Azzurri fans out there telling people who should/should not be part of a nation they aren't even a part of. There wouldn't be a debate if this wasn't a sensitive issue.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
with all due respect... when I think of the NT i want the people to be represented that live in those respective countries, if you were born and raised there... its one thing... but everything else is not okay to me... I wouldn't want somebody to represent romania just because he played there for a couple seasons and wouldn't make his NT so he searches for a 2nd option

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with all due respect... when I think of the NT i want the people to be represented that live in those respective countries, if you were born and raised there... its one thing... but everything else is not okay to me... I wouldn't want somebody to represent romania just because he played there for a couple seasons and wouldn't make his NT so he searches for a 2nd option
Perhaps that is a good solution.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
with all the talent poaching (the 16 year olds being taken by big EPL clubs) going on just wait until England start neutralizing them and finally have an NT that may have a shot at reaching the semi finals

I think unless you have a grandparent from the country or lived there most of your playing carrier and are a product of the youth system I dont think people should be considered as an NT player

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It's simple, really. Players who (want to) play for another NT cause he couldn't make it in his "original" NT or cause he thinks they suck etc, they shouldn't be allowed to play for another NT. It creates a situation where a player (if he is good enough) will be able to "chose" which NT he will play. My opinion is that this isn't something you should chose, you (should) know this from the start. If you've felt yourself italian (or whatever) from early years than it's "no question" imo.
And how do you propose we filter people based on what they're thinking. Using mind readers?

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
And how do you propose we filter people based on what they're thinking. Using mind readers?
I never said that it's a foolproof plan or something. In the end, FIFA won't be able to do anything against this cause no matter what regulations they will come up with they will still be ambigious. But I was just saying what I feel about "opportunist NT-players" (I like this word :D ). ;)

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
As far as I am concerned, if a player fulfills the requirements for getting a citizenship for the country he wans to play for and doesn't get paid anything extra than the usual bonuses the local players for the NT get (for qualifying for the big championships, etc), I have no problem with him becoming a NT player. I don't see why there should be different standards for football players than for any other who wants to become a citizen of a country.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
so if Berbatov becomes British citizen you'd be happy if he played for England (I know this is not possible because he already played for Bulgaria but in theory)

1 - 20 of 559 Posts