Xtratime Community banner

Poll on Ringhio

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Respected member IL Genio :star: suggested the opening of a poll on Braveheart Ringhio :devil:

Have your say :stuckup:

Furthemore, the poll may stand for Gattuso style players too, in other words, are these players needed, or football is sometheng else?

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Voted :stuckup:

Reasons as stated in an earlier post here

Another piece of skill by Gattuso :cool: Watch Rino's goal against Perugia in the Serie A last season :devil: He took a pass from Rui Costa, beat a Perugia defender with a quick change of direction and pace :eekani: dribbled into the area and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the low left corner :stuckup:

Rino celebrated the goal by running the entire length of the pitch, and raised his arms towards the Milan tifosi behind Dida's goal :fero: :proud: :stuckup:

Forza Gattuso! :star: :thmbup:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Mostly grit, but some skills. :)
I had to vote grit&skills given the available choices.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
he is 80% grit 20% skills

which is admirable considering 2 years ago he was 100% grit...

he is 80% grit now...but with same intensity as when he was 100% he just added 20% to his gmae....

top job!

·
Registered
60,988 Posts
When you play football for a living, you'll occasionally have a nice move every now and then. The more you play, the more you'd better and enhance your footballing skills, but not by much as skill is a gift.

Gattuso has the likes of Kaka, Rui Costa, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf and Cafu to learn a thing or two from in training sessions.

But saying that Gattuso is skilled would be a an insult to football, sorry.

But I've been used to witness extreme bias and subjectivity here, so this doesn't come as a surprise afterall.

·
Registered
46,511 Posts
Lav said:
he is 80% grit 20% skills
I'd say 90% grit but I will tell you better in four days. :D

P.S. in the game Samp-Milan I remember that he made lots of wrong passes.

P.P.S. I voted only grit cause every player has a % of skills.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
When you play football for a living, you'll occasionally have a nice move every now and then. The more you play, the more you'd better and enhance your footballing skills, but not by much as skill is a gift.

QUOTE]

This is nonsense. Skills are acquired and refined through practice. Nobody is born with skill. You practice it. By that rationale, people would be born understanding algebra and physics and not even have to go to school. Differing intelligences and athletic abilities make the difference between people who practice to become Pele and others who practice to become Gattuso.

That said, Gattuso was nothing but grit 4 years ago and now has practiced enough to be considered moderately skillful.

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
I agree with Lav and Dae here. I don’t think he can be called "moderately skillful" (his passing in most games is still close to horrible) but the way he improved after Rangers has deeply impressed me.

·
Registered
46,511 Posts
Dae said:
Skills are acquired and refined through practice. Nobody is born with skill. You practice it. By that rationale, people would be born understanding algebra and physics and not even have to go to school. Differing intelligences and athletic abilities make the difference between people who practice to become Pele and others who practice to become Gattuso.
So according to the underlined sentence there is a natural talent, a gift and what Nerazzurri said is not a nonsense!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I've seen the guy do a few dribbles and make some decent plays. He never did that before. Substitute anothe word for Moderately skilled, but the guy can play the ball a bit. Nobody will ever confuse him with Pirlo, however. ;)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Gattuso has become quite good at those quick 1-2 exchanges. And he is now also able to go pass his man and make a useful pass. What he should refrain from is making long passes to the strikers or try for through balls untill those skills are improved as well.

But his development is highly impressive.

·
Registered
60,988 Posts
Dae said:
Nerazzurri4life said:

QUOTE]

This is nonsense. Skills are acquired and refined through practice. Nobody is born with skill. You practice it. By that rationale, people would be born understanding algebra and physics and not even have to go to school. Differing intelligences and athletic abilities make the difference between people who practice to become Pele and others who practice to become Gattuso.

That said, Gattuso was nothing but grit 4 years ago and now has practiced enough to be considered moderately skillful.
Skills are acquired through practice ? Bwahahaha. Refined , improved, enhanced etc ok but acquired ? You can't be serious. You certainly can't turn a kid that doesn't know how to control the ball to a talented player. If it was so damn easy then players wouldn't be moving for millions because skills can be "acquired." If so then why do kids make fun of the other kids that don't possess skills and tend not to choose them in their 5 a side (or whatever) team ?

Then what stands between Gattuso being more skillful that Ronaldinho, huh ? Gennaro can train more as he's like a bull and has immense stamina. You're logic is even more flawed than Inter's defence.

Knowing Maths is a gift as well that needs practice to be refined. Personally I despise maths, and even if I killed myself I never do well in it. Another example is having the writing gift. If it can be "acquired" as you claim than anyone can be as good as Shakespere if he keeps working hard.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
ToniSamp said:
So according to the underlined sentence there is a natural talent, a gift and what Nerazzurri said is not a nonsense!

Not what I am talking about. Nera said skill is natural and cannot be meaningfully improved. That's silly or noone would waste time practicing. As far as athletic ability, I am talking about speed and flexibility and coordination and even those can be meaningfuly improved through practice and training.

The notion that somebody is born from the womb and has innate footballing skills is ridiculous. Maybe genes make somebody predisposed to have certain talents, but I am arguing against the notion that skill is not acquried and refined, but simply some gift from god.

Look at any "natural talent" and you find somebody who spent 12 hours a day playing in the streets or hte local lots refining skills on their own.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paratroopa said:
What about Pippo.... Instinct/Skills
Okay, let's get this one over first though :cool:

On topic, it may be fair to say that Ringhio is not the most skilled of players under a stricht technical point of view, but, he knows where to be on the pitch, and IMO that is a skill itself, cause you see loads of players that look lost on the pitch. Grit is not enough to be a regular starter in a team like Milan, so on a whole, based on instict I would say even: Football is something else, but, often Milan games turn aroud when he smells that something is going wrong, like yesterday, when he gave a "boost ignition" to the crowd, a few minutes later we scored, or who can forget in Manchester 2 years ago, when down to ten men, he kept the teal alive&kicking when things could easily have gone wrong, that means having the gift or skill of "understanding" the moment :stuckup:
Pippo and him have it both :shades:
Having said that his technical skills opale if compared to Seedorf or Pirlo, it would be fair to say that his controlling of the ball is not that bad, his passing not so good, if, as Carletto has said so many times, he would score more goals (Ancelotti believes that Gattuso has a good shot), his skill rating would take a boost, all in all, their are nany Gattuso style players around in Italy, but only 1 Gattuso, must mean something.

Forza Ringhio :devil:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
Skills are acquired through practice ? Bwahahaha. Refined , improved, enhanced etc ok but acquired ? You can't be serious. You certainly can't turn a kid that doesn't know how to control the ball to a talented player. If it was so damn easy then players wouldn't be moving for millions because skills can be "acquired." If so then why do kids make fun of the other kids that don't possess skills and tend not to choose them in their 5 a side (or whatever) team ?

Then what stands between Gattuso being more skillful that Ronaldinho, huh ? Gennaro can train more as he's like a bull and has immense stamina. You're logic is even more flawed than Inter's defence.

Knowing Maths is a gift as well that needs practice to be refined. Personally I despise maths, and even if I killed myself I never do well in it. Another example is having the writing gift. If it can be "acquired" as you claim than anyone can be as good as Shakespere if he keeps working hard.

So, tell me how kids learn how to play? They simply know? THAT is absurd logic. Even if it is as simple as some kid seeing another dribble and then copying what he saw; it is an acquisition of skill. It's basic learning.

What people do with the skills and how they are applied on hte field or in the classroom is totally different. Learning how to do something and then turning it into worldclass talent involves all sorts of other variables. But in the beginning, at some point every player learned how to dribble, pass and so on. Some simply pick it up quicker than others.

·
Registered
46,511 Posts
Dae said:
So, tell me how kids learn how to play? They simply know? THAT is absurd logic. Even if it is as simple as some kid seeing another dribble and then copying what he saw; it is an acquisition of skill. It's basic learning.

What people do with the skills and how they are applied on hte field or in the classroom is totally different. Learning how to do something and then turning it into worldclass talent involves all sorts of other variables. But in the beginning, at some point every player learned how to dribble, pass and so on. Some simply pick it up quicker than others.
Even if I agree that most of the so called "natural talents" spent 12 hours in practice I'm quite certain that some of them were more skilled when they were 8 years old than Gattuso now. This is not said to bash Gattuso but simply cause I saw boys doing with the feet things that Gattuso could not do with the hands... and Gattuso, even playing for Milan, would not be able to do even if his carreer lasted 1000 years practicing 24 hours a day.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Is this a trick question?

Of course he is POOP and more POOP!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
To turn Gattuso into a Romario or some other super skilled player, he would have had to start refining skills way before the age of 25. and he would have needed the same models for him to learn from. Romario grows up in Brazil, where ultra skilled players are abound and he played football all day long. Not only must he have watched skilled players and copied their technique, but he spent years refining it through constant practice (beach soccer, soccer in the street etc..)Who knows what Gattuso was doing. Probably working on sprints and long distance running and knocking people over. He's pretty f*cking skilled at that. ;)

I'm not arguing that with practice everybody turns into a worldclass talent. That's absurd because application of skill and reading hte game for when to use those skills is another talent altogether. But, I am arguing that if somebody starts young enough and practices the skill as learned from another expert, then he/she can become proficient and skilled (ie; anybody can learn to write a technically proficient essay, but will not necessary crank out Shakespeare). That DOES NOT equate to turning into Zidane.

I would argue, had Gattuso spent the first 18 years of his life working at technique rather than the last 4, he would be a much better technician on the ball. Would he be Kaka? Probably not. ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Even if I agree that most of the so called "natural talents" spent 12 hours in practice I'm quite certain that some of them were more skilled when they were 8 years old than Gattuso now. QUOTE]

Yup. Those kids started at 2 and essentially lived with a ball attached to their foot. Maradona always had one with him. George BEst. Romario. By 8, you could almost call them experts (as in having acquired the skills and refined them). Gattuso has spent maybe 4 quality years woring on technique as opposed to workrate. Their is no comparison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts