Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people point to the fallout from the revolution but, what I don't understand is if you look at football pre-1954, all of the best coaches were Hungarian.

The Danubian way, the Hungarian way, that was how to play football.

How did Hungarian tactical acumen and training methodology just depredate into its current state?
Apologies if this has been discussed here already (if so, please point me in the direction of the conversation :) ) I just recently had my password reset after many many many years away from XT. I'm one of the XT originals!

·
Registered
54,551 Posts
easy answer, Communists did

now some may say „but we were good during communism and the real downhill only started after it“, but that‘s a very superficial look at it

the death was a structural one. first thing the commies did was centralizing and controling the foci klubs. then, because the coaches were still from the old bourgeois system, they in 1960 installed a book - I call it the communist foci bible - after the rules of which all future foci coaches have to be educated. needless to say, that book is the exact opposite of what succesful bourgeois Danubian foci stands for and is just full of dumb shit. now since that day no Hungarian coach who was trained after this made somewhat of an impact. it‘s like as if they switched the lights off on that day. so every single foci coach 1960 to probably 2015, professional and amateur, senior team and kids level, learned his stuff from that crap. no surprise we have nobody to teach the kids.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fair explanation.

Given the rich history Hungary has with football, is it conceivable that Hungary can rise again? Or, is that to steep a mountain to climb?

·
Registered
54,551 Posts
That's a fair explanation.

Given the rich history Hungary has with football, is it conceivable that Hungary can rise again? Or, is that to steep a mountain to climb?
a very steep mountain atm. what we can hope for, is that they somehow fix the grass roots problem in the long term. and that as consequence thereof we may have every now and then a golden generation of sorts. the best we can hope for though is a stable place in european midfield, quality wise. like Sweden, Czechia or Poland.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's as if you had a manual for success in the 30s-to-50s, that your excellent coaches would enrich.

The commies took over, destroyed the manual, and presented their own manual.

And now, you found the old manual but, are missing those vital middle chapters that bridge the old football with the new?

By the way, not sure if you have read Jonathan Wilson's new book on Hungarian football : The Names Heard Long Ago. It's excellent.

·
Registered
40,480 Posts
Bentex.

For a long while us westerners could only access the true foci via something called Bentex TV.

I would rather watch Serie D with no commentary than the 1966 WC final if it was on Bentex TV.

Thus the end of interest in Hungarian football.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
There are two new books about our glorious history, Major mentioned them. One is supposedly filled with errors, can't remember if it's that one or not.

I'm sure the pre-Communist manual, if there is one, has long been lost:facepalm::)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting book by David Bailey.
I will pick it up, and then come back here and ask someone what the 51 mistakes are since my knowledge of the Hungarian language is zilch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts