Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone have any thoughts on our team and how we'll do this year? I notice over in the FC Porto forum they're all patting each other on the ass talking about how much thier team rocks and greatness of the new signings, yet we're all quiet in here. Are we just displaying quiet confidence or still feeling the sting of losing JVP and Nuno?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
we have reason to do so. And for the record Lumac...you Benfica fans were patting each others asses prior to Porto picking up Alenitchev, Maric and Pizzi. You guys were bragging about Dudic, Marchena, Meira. Anyways the point of me posting here is that I heard that Enke refused an offer from Hamburg to stay in Benfica. Why? He could be playing in the CL this season rather than the useless UEFA Cup. :confused:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
B4EVA - I just edited your post to Marcoa. Feel free to state opinions on futebol, but insults directed at other players (even something as minor as calling someone a moron) is not allowed. Please think before you post (thanks:)).

As far as why we're all quiet, I think we're in that lull before the season starts. I think VH will be a good addition, as will Meira - I'm just interested to see how the team gels together. We'll find out this weekend when they play Deportivo in Braga. I wonder if rumors will begin to circulate again about signing Pauleta this weekend? I'm sure they will, but I read in the Record yesterday that Heynckes said that Benfica's done signing players until he can see what he has. Maybe this is just public posturing to lower Ajax' asking price for Dani - I know the best players are all gone this transfer period already, but they still need an offensive midfielder to make a serious run at the championship in my opinion.

As far as Enke goes - he's no dummy. He knows he can learn a great deal from Heynckes and I'll predict now that if Heynckes doesn't renew his contract again, Enke will leave whenever he does. Luckily for us - as long as Heynckes stays at the Luz, so will Enke.

Forca Benfica!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I think we'll do very well. I'm exited about Van hooijdonk, he's got what it takes to be top scorer this season. He's very Jardel-like but stronger physically and better technically. Meira and Carlitos are great aquisitions too.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Yo, Razor!

I happen to agree with FO-EVA on the editing issue.

Censorship is a sensitive issue. Don't be so quick to use your editing powers until, at least, you have a clear understanding of the context behind the content.

I realize your burden of being a moderator on a forum with such passionate fans and the degree of difficulty it must be to keep things from getting uncivilized. Personally, my short experience on this board has been pleasant, and largely, that is a tribute to your, and the other moderators', excellent use of good judgement, thus far.

However, I'm not sure a quick delete trigger is always the answer. Sometimes, a little name calling, as long as it is done in jest, is good for the family soul we share on this forum. And, in some cases, the only way to appropriately express yourself.

I just hope that you realize how powerful the ability to censor is and that you don't use it hastily. With that said, thank you for a continued superb job and your tireless support of this community.

Pila

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Thanks for the kind words - it is a very fine line to determine what's worthy of censoring and what's not. Personally - I don't think calling someone a moron is worthy of the death penalty. Personally, I think we're all adults and should be able to stick up for ourselves.

That being said, the Xtratime rules state that "personal attacks on other users" are not permitted under any circumstances - even if it's calling a fellow user a "moron". As such, my responsibility as moderator is to make sure the Xtratime rules are adhered to as much as possible.

Aside from that - if I allow anything remotely resembling a personal attack at a non-Benfiquista in the Benfica forum, watch the board light up with posts accusing me of being impartial (i.e. - "you let so and so insult so and so, but you don't do anything if it's pro-Benfica").

So, in closing - I'll continue to do my best to exercise objectivity, support the rules which govern the forums, and use the ability to censor with the caution necessary to promote fairness and open discussion simultaneously.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I understand and respect your position.

Thank you for taking the time address my concerns.

(But, first, we must destroy Porto!) :)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Oh Yes...Puff The Magic Dragon is going down hard :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Your eagles cannot soar anymore....my dragons are king!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Uh! Marcoa!

Rumor has it Dragons are extinct!

At least, we haven't seen one since the early ages of the Monarchs.

On the other hand, I understand that Redeagle has a Dragon living with him. Although, SHE don't look like no Dragon. ;)

Neveretheless, don't attempt to compare a mythical figure with the majestic and beauty of the great Eagle!

P.S. PORTO SUCKS!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Dragons and Lizards are all prey to the mighty Eagle.

BTW most fans of Portuguese Futebol all know that we joke with each other all the time. I mean I have gone at it with Marco and Ola since they've come on board, also the Sportinguistas have not been as uppity as before but they are a fun bunch as well. It's just in good fun. Let's not name call, but instead use what little is left of our wit :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
aren't eagles an endangered species? I hear that even in Portugal these so-called Eagles are rare....rumour has it that the Dragon has returned and been chomping at their feathery wings....:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Censorship

I am very much against censorship, but I am also for great discussion. With this in mind, I don't mind Razor excluding personal attacks from the posts. It's true that there is nothing wrong with a little ribbing, unfortunatly it can pretty hard for people to see the sarcasm in a post. Just look at the way people quickly blow up on each other over a misconstruded joke. Frankly, if I want to watch people hurl insults at each while "discussing" Portuguese soccer I'll just hang out with my uncles.

As for the Benfica fans being quiet, I will throw out the idea that they are apprehensive to get their hopes up. The past couple of years we have been teased by teams who at times appeared to have enough to win the league. This time of year always is full of speculation and rumor about the players. 99.9% of the fans have not seen the team play yet, why would they have anything to base excitement on???

I'll close this post by saying that I hope that the upcoming season is full of discussion on great games, played by great players. Rather than the useless bickering, spearheaded by limlight seeking club presidents, that we have become accustomed to.
Peace,
AXP103

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Nah, Marcoa!

You're thinking of the North American Bald Eagle. However, even they, have made a great recovery and, once again, soar and dominate the North American skys.

The European Eagle has always dominated and continue be indifferent to the occasional sighting of a Dragon and/or Lion. :D

Trust me on this, I'm an extremely lazy individual and invest a lot of time watching the Discovery channel, instead of spending it doing something constructive for the benefit of society, or otherwise.

However, that doesn't change the fact that...

Porto STILL sucks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts