Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's so many transfer talks regarding star players like ;Rustu, Rio, Hofland, Bommel, Edgar Davids, Nakata, Kluivert, Trezy and yet we ONLY sign another Jaap Stam like unknown Cygan from Lillie...
I'm not too sure what's going on, but isn't it a little too slow?!

Anyway, that Monkey Moyes from Everton is trying to sign R.Wright from us; - Even the smaller clubs are making bolder moves compared to us...

Are we still that unattractive to them compared to REAL or Barca or Inter?!
Is it the MONEY talks jeopardising the growth of the club?!
Or Arsene Wenger thinks that there is no urgent need to buy players at this moment...

Kindly comment...

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
in the end all the players would come
whats the hurry?
season doesnt start for like a month
it'll come eventually

·
Administrator
11,912 Posts
many clubs are torturing their fans with transfer talks. some are purely rumours so waiting for them to actually happen is wishful thinking. for example something big has to happen at Juve if we're (or any other club) going to have a shot at Trezyeven with the history that Juve have with selling players (Vieri, Zidane,....) selling Trezy will not happen without getting some top scorer level striker from somewhere.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
We will sign more - and better ones than Cygan. Wenger is just warming up. Surely we'll go out and spend at least £20m worth of players to replace Adams (already Cygan), Dixon, and Grimandi. Big signings will come, it just requires patience.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Don't get your hopes up guys, I took this from Arsenal.com:

-----------------------------------------------------

Wenger has confidence that his squad is currently strong enough to successfully defend the FA Cup and Premiership title in the forthcoming season.

"I don't think we really need to buy too many more players," he said. "What I think I will also do is have a look at the young players in pre-season and then make a decision after that.

"We do have a small problem on the left side of midfield because Fredrik Ljungberg, Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Robert Pires are all injured.

"We are a bit short there at the moment, but it is difficult to go out and buy anybody because when the others come back we would have too many players for that position."

If Wenger does decide to strengthen further before the start of the season, he will have the full support of the board.

Vice chairman David Dein said: "There is more money available and Arsene has got the full backing of the board , but he feels he already has a very strong squad.

"There may be one more player to come in plus two or three young players added to the senior squad and that is always important as well at a club like this."

-----------------------------------------------------

To me, that translates as, "We won't be signing anyone else" ...

I hope we aren't making exactly the same mistakes as we did in summer 1998, by just signing one squad-player defender. For Pascal Cygan, read Nelson Vivas. Remember, Man Utd, Liverpool and Leeds will be hot on our heels...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well i wouldnt go too much by wht wenger has said though the 1 thing i must contradict myself on and say im atleast happy ot hear is the poissibility of the youngsters getting a look in at pre season...

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I can see what he means where the midfield will be packed when the players come back from injury- but that is why we could try to get some players on loan instead. Riquelme is supposedly going to be loaned out... ;) Obviously Wenger is now looking to give Pennant play time, but even so we could definitely use a loaned midfielder.
Now, consider the 98 transfer period, we are in a bit of a different predicament. Pennant, Inamoto, Edu and Jeffers are basically new players as they now stand a chance of getting some decent play time for the extent of the season, barring injury of course. This season, excluding maybe Pennant, could really be break out seasons for all of them. Edu showed that he has some talent last season, Inamoto did the same during the world cup and Jeffers should have a chance to justify his 10mil pricetag with his injury fully healed. He scored something like 3 goals in 5 games I think, while carrying an injury.... he definitely has some promise. So at the moment I would say we are in a better situation then 98.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
So inamoto i stayin?

Lav

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This inamoto situation is crazy, coz last year he supposedly signed with Arsenal a 4 yr deal an we supposedly paid 4.5 mil for the dude, but now it seems that he was taken on loan only and is still a Gamba Osaka player? Is it just me or does some1 else also find this whole situtaion a lil strange?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
No. Inamoto is leaving, Fulham have almost concluded their deal with him. He was never going to be good enough for us, its best for him to go.

Back to the topic, Chris - you're right about Edu, Pennant and Jeffers. They are basically 'new signings'.

Edu had his settling-in period at the end of last season, and did very well. He could be the player in our squad who is most looking forward to the new season, as he has had a full summer break, he is well over his injuries and will be very confident after his form in the run-in. I can see him being a real star for us now.

Jeffers' ankle surgery has apparently 'cured' his long-standing complaint and if he can recapture the finishing form he had in his U-20 days, we will have an incredible striker on our hands. Again, he will have had a full summer break and will be raring to go, desperate to prove himself and repay Wenger's faith.

So if you look at things closely, we have really got a new defender, a new midfielder, and a new striker. Every section of the team has been refreshed, and any other signings we may make now will be bonuses.

Its not worth buying for the sake of it, there is a prime £28.1m example about 250 miles north of us, he's called Juan Veron, you may have heard of him ;) :D ... basically he unbalanced the whole United side, probably the best midfield quartet in the world at the time, and it cost them big time. (I'd just like to say, that I predicted the effect Veron would have on United, right here; and look at the bashing I got!)

Remember, we already have the megastar players, Henry, Vieira, Campbell, Pires et al, so maybe all we need is a few players to 'freshen up' the squad. I know I've contradicted my post earlier in this thread, but I've just been thinking about it for a few days, thats all... :howler:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 news guys...

Out - of - favour Kanu is set to leave Highbury at a cut-price of 2mil pound...

Arsene Wenger will be completing another promising signing... Likely a midfielder... God knows who!?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeah and we have just lost one very promisig youth player in ROHAN RICKETS to the ****in spurs.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Arsenal haven't lost anyone you mindless cretin. Ricketts was under contract, and given a free transfer because he was sh1t, being sh1t it was therefore unlikely we would of been able to command a reasonable fee for him. The fact that he ended up a scum, merely indicates what pitiful standards they have, which anyone who has had the misfortune to see them play, would no doubt testify to.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ha, I laughed when I read that "Spurs sign rival's whizz kid" :dielaugh: WHIZZ KID??? YEAH RIGHT!! Ricketts sucked, the only reason he went to spurs was because he knew he wouldn't be able to break into the team here.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Snowbell said:
Arsenal haven't lost anyone you mindless cretin. Ricketts was under contract, and given a free transfer because he was sh1t, being sh1t it was therefore unlikely we would of been able to command a reasonable fee for him. The fact that he ended up a scum, merely indicates what pitiful standards they have, which anyone who has had the misfortune to see them play, would no doubt testify to.
Snowbell, for someone who is so opinionated, I am surprised at how rarely you post here.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Snowbell said:
Arsenal haven't lost anyone you mindless cretin.
Thats a bit harsh isn't it???

Ricketts was an average player with an above-average ego and opinion of himself.

He has his own website, which he used last season to moan about how he should be getting a chance in the first team... he also said that Arsene 'lacks a young player mentality' ... firstly, who the hell is a 19-year old rookie player to say what he thinks one of the best managers in the world lacks??

Secondly, Wenger will give youngsters a chance if he feels they have something to offer. Just ask regular England international and one time Arsenal youth player, Ashley Cole.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
yea gareth is right
ricketts has no right to say that about wenger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts