Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer transfer window is far away but still, why not to dicuss it already?

Personally I don't see Berlu going on Abramovich-like spending spree but at the same time it also seems likely that he will provide more funds for transfers than during previous summers. Maybe one really expensive signing and 1-2 smaller ones.

At the moment I would be happy with one good addition in all outfield lines: one to the defense, one on the midfield and one in attack.

Benzema would be the preferred option up front. He would be expensive as hell because Lyon doesn't need to sell and there will be other big clubs after his signature...but perfectly realistic signing if only Berlu gives the cash for it. We would get a young and hungry player who seems to posess enough skills to make a big impact immediately in Serie A. I see him doing big things in EURO2008 so maybe it would be better to go for him before the tournament when his market value might be lower. Expected price range: €30-40 M

The other signing I would like us to do is Wesley Sneijder. He's having bad time in Real so probably we could get him cheaper than what Real paid for him. He would suit well in our midfield scheme IMO, I've talked about it before but I mostly see him as a long-term replacement for Seedorf. He could fill in for Kaka too when needed...and for Pirlo too. He can adapt to many roles, we would solve many current midfield problems by signing a multitalent like him. Expected price range: €12-18 M

Zambrotta would be another nice addition and yet again a perfectly realistic one because in general he has been dissapointing at Barca and they have no reason to hold on to him (although he has a contract with them until 2010). There's nothing new in big-name Serie A defenders performing below expectations in La Liga anymore; I guess he can return to his regular level pretty fast if he returns to Italy. Expected price range: €5-10 M

Maybe the biggest debate might be the goalkeeper question. We have two reasonably good keepers at the moment: one has a lot of ability but hasn't been performing, the other has little ability but has been performing above expectations lately. And there aren't that many quality shotstoppers on the market. The only keeper I would like us to spend big on is Frey but I would rather see the management spending on outfield players as the first priority. I'm sure many would like us to sign Amelia but IMO he's overrated (being pretty much the only good young Italian keeper at the moment).

So yeah, if we could somehow get Benzema, Sneijder and Zambrotta over the summer then I would be a happy guy. Probably would take about 60M euros total.

And it could leave us with something like this for example:

-------Benzema---Pato

-----------Kaka

----Sneijder--Pirlo---Gattuso

Zambro--Nesta--Kakha--Oddo

-----------Kalac

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
The other signing I would like us to do is Wesley Sneijder. He's having bad time in Real so probably we could get him cheaper than what Real paid for him.
Sorry, but we don't sell quality players to a rival. Sneijder showed he is capable of some great football early on this season, but for one reason or another, he hasn't been able to maintain that level of performance. Still, the kid is young and one needs at least a full season to acclimatize to a foreign country and a new style of football.

I can assure you Sneijder is not going anywhere, unless you offer more than the 27 mln. euros that we paid for him, which is not going to happen. I do agree with you that he would be an ideal replacement for Seedorf.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and of course I see Carlo remaining as the manager for the next season, as evident by that lineup...even if we don't make it to the CL next year he should stay (unless he feels he has nothing new to give and wants to leave)

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
2,631 Posts
Quaresma

Other interesting players:
Frey
Zambrotta
Zapata
Alves
Diego
Van der Vaart
Lucho
Elano
Aquilani
Mancini
Ribery
Benzema
Drogba
Cassano

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, but we don't sell quality players to a rival. Sneijder showed he is capable of some great football early on this season, but for one reason or another, he hasn't been able to maintain that level of performance. Still, the kid is young and one needs at least a full season to acclimatize to a foreign country and a new style of football.

I can assure you Sneijder is not going anywhere, unless you offer more than the 27 mln. euros that we paid for him, which is not going to happen.
IMO it's pretty difficult to predict that

It depends a lot of your success this season...if you somehow manage to end up without big trophies then I can see some big reshuffling and new signings in the summer. And Sneijder might very well be somebody who is sold for the right offer to make room for new guys and boost the bank balance. His future at Real is far from certain at the moment.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Amigo, we don't sell class players after one season. In the event that no trophies are won, we'll sell a few players (Baptista, Diarra, Saviola, Soldado) whilst keeping the young and talented core intact. Sneijder is a part of that.

As for the purpose of the thread, if you're interested in a non-Milanista point of view, I'd say you need a new CF, CM and a pair of full-backs.

I agree that Zambro would be a good choice at LB, but Oddo doesn't cut it for me. A club like Milan need to have a more influential RB. For a club that is owned by a filthy rich bastard, you should book a ticket to Seville and refuse to leave unless they pack Alves in your suitcase.

I'd also sign Drogba and Van der Vaart.

PS- It feels damn strange to see a Milan line-up without Maldini.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quaresma
Other interesting players:
Frey
Zambrotta
Zapata
Alves
Diego
Van der Vaart
Lucho
Elano
Aquilani
Mancini
Ribery
Benzema
Drogba
Cassano
do you think Carlo could use Quaresma well? Because I can hardly think of a player less suitable for Carlo's playing style. If there's any out-and-out wingers left on the big stage then that's him and we don't really play with wingers.

Or do you think Carlo should leave?

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
2,631 Posts
We are useless on the wings (Oddo cant cross to save his life, and Janku is just useless both in attack, and in defense), Quaresma has become quite a player. We need variety in our attack, and Quaresma is a perfect fit. I honestly believe that we could sign both Quaresma and another winger (Ribery/Mancini) if Galliani wanted to. Two world-class wingers and Kaka in the middle, Pato/Pippo/Benzema/Drogba (+Paloschi :D) in front, man, kiss all those 0-0 and 1-1 matches goodbye.

I dont think Carlo should leave. He has done the best job he could with the players available. He is a great coach, not a magician. He doesnt use wingers, cause we dont have them. Give him quality wingers, and he'll use them. But, on the other hand, Carlo has said that he wont be Milan's Alex Ferguson. I wont be surprised if he becomes the next Italy coach.

Large amount of money will have to be spent, there is no way around this. But it really shouldnt be a problem for Silvio - he just has to think how much money he has saved in the last 3 years by not signing anyone (except Pato).

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It must be frustrating to be you. Berlu has the pockets and ever so often he gets your hopes up, but he never does anything. I hope he finally gets off his ass, it would be fun. You need it, Serie A needs you back, and so does the CL.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Don't know about Sneijder coming, but Zambro & Benezma would be great. We'd still IMO need at least 2 keepers. Frey swap for Gilardino, then either Lloris or promote Offredi. Give Marzoratti, Sammarco, De Gennaro & Borreillo squad places, as well as Darmian, Paloschi & Umenegbu.

Deadwood that needs removing are: Ba, Brocchi, Emerson, Favalli, Serginho, Cafu, Dida, Simic, Fiori, Ronaldo and unfortunately Inzaghi.

We need players of great technique, no more box strikers, or one dimensional midfielders. A winger or 2 is needed to stretch teams - Farfan/Rosina, a vice Pirlo - Afellay, a new AM - Nasri/Menez, and a great striker - R10/Benezma/Drogba.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are useless on the wings (Oddo cant cross to save his life, and Janku is just useless both in attack, and in defense), Quaresma has become quite a player. We need variety in our attack, and Quaresma is a perfect fit. I honestly believe that we could sign both Quaresma and another winger (Ribery/Mancini) if Galliani wanted to. Two world-class wingers and Kaka in the middle, Pato/Pippo/Benzema/Drogba (+Paloschi :D) in front, man, kiss all those 0-0 and 1-1 matches goodbye.

I dont think Carlo should leave. He has done the best job he could with the players available. He is a great coach, not a magician. He doesnt use wingers, cause we dont have them. Give him quality wingers, and he'll use them.
We don't have wingers and we don't sign them because he doesn't want them. And his narrow midfield formation has had a lot to do with us being successful in CL playoffs over the years IMO. I don't think he will change his style.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Well as far as I know Carlo wanted to sign Ribery the last summer only for Berlusconi to say no. Ribery/Quaresma could work besides Kaká in the Xmas formation I believe.

With the amount of players leaving in the summer it'll be mighty interesting to see how the management deals with the situation. They failed last summer, let's see if they can get back on track this one.

·
Registered
56,232 Posts
ribéry would be a good sign, but i doubt bayern would let him go.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I think you should fix the goalkeeper problem toute suite. It's been an Achilles heel for years. Meanwhile Roma and Inter have actually found pretty good keepers. What was wrong with Abbiati again?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
De Gennaro
IMO, needs a year on loan in serie A. Paloschi, unsure what would be best for his career. I'd rather see him on loan instead of being 4th choice behind 3 fit forwards.

I'll give a couple of suggestions, some well known, others maybe not. IMO, Sneijder won't work in the "old" Seedorf position.

Benzema. I don't think it will happen, but he should be the top choice for a player to be able to hold up a ball and also put it in the net. Before Drogba and Amauri.

Zapata. From what I seen the most impressive target for defense. Hard to beat and also strong in the air. Great to have in defense against counterattacks and we know we want players like that.

Seydo Keita. From what I seen he would be great in our midfield under Ancelotti's scheme. Great two-way player that can beat his man and scuffle for the ball.

Zambrotta. I ain't as keen anymore. Still I know he could help us for 2-3 years and he is a great player. thing is, why put another 30+ player to the 30+ players we already have in this position?

Luca Modric. Seems a great midfield playmaker and we need a new player able to open up teams.

Giuseppe Rossi. Said to like us, seems to proven himself day by day and can play the second forward. Would be a nice addition and I won't say in which order he would be rated for whatever forward we will have. (Inzaghi and Pato only certain for us)

Quaresma. a dream transfer for many, can do a lot on his own, which is great for top teams needing to open up teams.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
do you think Carlo could use Quaresma well? Because I can hardly think of a player less suitable for Carlo's playing style. If there's any out-and-out wingers left on the big stage then that's him and we don't really play with wingers.

Or do you think Carlo should leave?

Funny, I thought the same thing. The only thing I can think of is comparing it to when Carlo used Serginho as a wing style midfielder and he made those runs to crosses. Quaresma can do far more than just that, but he could serve a similar purpose. I also think this clearly means we would be playing a 4 man midfield.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
If Berlusca decides to open his wallet then the ideal signings would be: Benzema, Van Der Vaart, Zambrotta and Frey

------------------ Frey
Zambrotta -- Nesta - Kaladze -- Jankulovsky
----------------- Pirlo
------ Gattuso --------------- VdV
------------------- Kaka
----------- Benzema ---- Pato

It wont happen though.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Can't build a team on finding talents that can start playing in the first team right from the beginning like Pato and Kaka. And Milan isn't a club to nurture talent.
Just grab the players that stand out in competetive clubs. The ones that give their club an edge and have been in performing for a few years.
This kind of transfer policy weakens a league, yeah but whatever. We need players like DeRossi and Mutu.
Let clubs like Fiorentina and Roma sign Benzema. If he's as good as he seems, we sign him from them in two seasons for thrice the price.
Sounds like a deal to me. Just open your wallet Berlusconi because the players that will dominate the scene for Milan sure won't be available for less than astronomical fees and wages.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Benzema is the final product Quivering, more than Pato was. I find it funny that you say Fiorentina shall buy him while we buy Mutu when his value is like two or three times the value off Mutu. :D

1 - 20 of 206 Posts