Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to see that new Scotland manager Walter Smith has decided not to take Archie Knox with him to Hampden. It was said that although Knox has jsut become assistant to Gough at Livi this week there was a clause to allow him to accompany Smith on Scotland duty. Given that McLaren does that for England then that wouldn't be a problem. Instead Smith has taken Burns on instead.

I know everyone will have their own view on this put I think it's actually not looking to bad at all. Burns knows all the players and as a manager himself plays a good brand of football. Smith will obviously have his own ideas but hoepfully together they can bring something positive to the Scottish side and hoepfully even a bit of success (meaning winning a game now and again).

Who would have thought that two managers that used to sit in opposite dugouts in an Old Firm match would be sharing the same technical area for the Scottish national team.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
All I can say is expect more of Craig Brown's tac tics in the past; I find WS a negative manager, which may not be a bad thing, cause the defence is always leaking goals and that's what brings the confidence down.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think any manager worth his salt going into a team that is struggle should first and foremost make them hard to beat. That would fit in with a Craig Brown style of tactics. We all wanted to move forward from Brown's negative tactics but with two years of diaster we are now looking for progress back to that level which is ironic but true.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Is Burns going to find it easy essentially taking orders from Smith? I thought his pride might have been a stumbling block. I guess working under Berti would crush most people's spirit. I didn't want Burns as assistant, but now that he is i'll support him. As far as I know, Walter's always played a back four. Not sure that suits this Scotland team. It'll be interesting to see if he can change his style, as that was something he got criticised for at Rangers.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This article is quite a good read about the positives and negatives of Smith's time at Everton. According to that page he used a 4-5-1 or a 5-3-2 which didn't suit Everton. Probably both of those would suit Scotland at the moment though as the emphasis on both is in defence.

I remember criticising Smith at Rangers in some European games. One especially was either the home game against Ajax or Juventus where he played a 4-5-1. That was ridiculous enough for a home team but the lone striker was Laudrup who in my opinion was always at his best with a free role behind the attack.

Now that he is manager of Scotland though I see it as a clean slate. I don't want him to fail and although I too can see problems with having Burns as an assistant I hope it does go well. The main problem I see, maybe the only problem, with that managerial setup is both men appear to me to have different footballing philosophies as how the team should play. Burns would line up a team to play football and Smith would line up a team to be solid and workman like. If we could get the positives of both of them that would be great but being Scotland I doubt it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
both men appear to me to have different footballing philosophies as how the team should play. Burns would line up a team to play football and Smith would line up a team to be solid and workman like. If we could get the positives of both of them that would be great but being Scotland I doubt it.
we can only hope they can work together and take both their strengths. its almost like we'll have two managers running the Scotland team. With the experience Burns has maybe Smith will need some with that knowledge, even if its just to bounce idea's off of.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I do hope Smith is only joking about bringing back Duncan Ferguson, the last thing we need is our average age to significantly increase with players such as Dunc, Rae, Weir, etc returning.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't care what he does as long as it ends in a bit more respect for us. I was really disappointed to hear Strachan had actually been interviewed and Smith chosen ahead of him. Fair enough if Strachan didn't want it but he obviously did and I think he would have been the better man to take us forward.

Since Walter is in charge and Tommy at his side I'll give them my support as I did with Berti. I'll admit that when Berti was named as manager I was one of the ones who thought it was a good move- how wrong I was. I hope I am proved wrong again and the new management partnership proves to be a success.

If we start getting cuffed by 5-0 and 6-0 scorelines again though I'm really going around to the SFA offices to personally make my feelings known. As we are 68th in the world rankings surely the only way to go is up.

BTW, where does everyone think Scotland will finish in the group? The reality is though that in March we play Italy away, Slovenia are at home to Belarus and Norway are away to Moldova. Realistically Italy, Slovenia and Norway will win those games. That will put us 10 points behind Italy and 8 points behind Slovenia and Norway with only 15 points to play for.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I predicted before the start that we'd finish 4th. I'll stick to that although we'll get challenged for that position by (is it?) Belarus.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Angle_eyes said:
I predicted before the start that we'd finish 4th. I'll stick to that although we'll get challenged for that position by (is it?) Belarus.
I honestly think Belarus will push us down to fifth. They got a good draw away to Norway and were unlucky in the 4-3 defeat in Italy. Our spare game is away to them so we can write that off. Moldova are our only saving grace at the moment. We have to beat them and Belarus at home to get to at least 7 points (which Slovenia and Norway already have at this point in time). Apart from those 2 games I can't see us picking up points elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Down 9 places to 86th in the latest world rankings. We keep saying things can't get any worse, but the FIFA rankings tend to disagree. I don't think our ranking will improve after our next game either ;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not long before we hit triple figures :dielaugh: , you've got to laugh.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Not long before we hit triple figures :dielaugh: , you've got to laugh.
Probably only because if you didn't you would feel inclined to kill youself.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Sure I read somewhere that Stuart Baxter said we'd still manage to beat Burkina Faso, even though they're above us in the rankings. Thanks for cheering us up Stuart :thmbup: .

Does anyone remember him appearing on Offside? Cowan tried everything to get the guy to say something interesting. He came across as a complete weirdo.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw that- definite weirdo. At least I know what he looks like now after years of hearing his name linked to vacant manager jobs. Looks like the real life and soul of the party. Imagine having him round for tea the same night as you'd already invited the McLean bros- what a party that would be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts