Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He failed a test in the game against PSV. He had used cannabis.
more info later

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Euzebiusz Smolarek has done his outside chance of making the Poland squad no good by failing a drugs test after a Uefa Cup tie in March.

The Feyenoord club website reports that the player was found to have a slightly increased concentration of cannobinol in his body.

Cannabinol is a derivative of cannabis, which occurs in hashish and hemp.

Smolarek gave a reading of 20.3 ng/ml; the legal limit is 15.0. He has already launched an appeal.

The test followed the Feyenoord v PSV Eindhoven Uefa Cup quarter-final clash, which Feyenoord won on penalties.

Smolarek's lawyer said that the appeal would be based on scientific research which shows that the substance is found in various foods and chocolate bars containing hempseed or hampseed oil.

Passive smoking is apparently another possibility for the positive test.

Feyenoord manager Jan Swart said: "At this time we cannot say whether Uefa will decide to impose any punishment.

"If it were to be a moderate one, as we expect because the concentration of cannabinol is small, then Ebi will still feel that he has been found guilty.

"He wants it recorded that he hasn't smoked anything.

The whole affair has hit him hard. The boy is a real sportsman. He is 21 and still lives with his parents."

Using cannabis is legal in the Netherlands and the drug is not on a list of the Dutch FA's banned substances.

Smolarek was a strong candidate for the Polish World Cup squad until he was injured last month.

National team coach Jerzy Engel has said he will give the player every chance of proving his fitness, but was not optimistic.

"Unless doctors give me assurances he will be in perfect health in June, I will have to substitute him," Engel said.

Feyenoord, without Smolarek, meet Borussia Dortmund in the Uefa Cup final in Rotterdam on Wednesday.

damn...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
This is another blow...

I'm starting to worry about our NT's performance at the WC... :depress:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Since the authority of these tests are so easily questioned, I won't say anything. Though I feel tempted to.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I mean come on people:D I'm sure this is a result of passive smoking:howler: Sorry, but when we heard about this in Poland, we almost rolled over and died of laughter... the "passive smoking" is just ingenious:D:devil:
Come on, can't a guy get high now and then? UEFA really are stiff idiots:D:dielaugh:

I hope he's cleared of all charges, and he should be all means, cause it's not a performance enhancing substance, and the law is so unstrict about it, that the lawyer should get him out of it.

But personally I have become a great fan of Smolarek now:D Passive smoker my ass:D:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts