Xtratime Community banner

Do you think our squad is old and midfield slow?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we have two questions in which I had the impression most people would agree on. Bono stands in the other corner and doesn't think so.

Two questions being:
Do you think our squad is older than it should be?
Would you agree that we have one of europe's slowests midfields?

four combinations possible.

all outsiders are invited to vote too, they shouldn't be partial about these things.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Here we have two questions in which I had the impression most people would agree on. Bono stands in the other corner and doesn't think so.

Two questions being:
Do you think our squad is older than it should be?
Would you agree that we have one of europe's slowests midfields?

four combinations possible.

all outsiders are invited to vote too, they shouldn't be partial about these things.
Not at all.

Is the sky blue btw?

Your squad was old FOUR YEARS AGO!

·
Registered
398 Posts
well..

the majority of our midfield are slow yes, but it is also offset by an extremely quick player in kaka. we also have pato and a few other players who are generally quite slow.

our squad as a whole is definetly quite old though, and slower on average than most other squads.

not as much as exaggerated though

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
a paramount example of how a poll can manipulate - the way you ask a question determines the answers :D

I refuse to be manipulated

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Dida 35
Maldini 40
Kaladze 30
Emerson 32
Pato 19
Gattuso 31
Inzaghi 35
Seedorf 32
Borriello 26
Abbiati 31
Nesta 32
Zambrotta 31
Kalac 36
Jankulovski 31
Favalli 37
Pirlo 29
Kaka 26
Ambrossini 31
Senderous 23
Bonera 27
Beckham 33
Sheva 32
Antonini 26
Ronaldinho 28
Flamini 24
Mattioni 20

The bold players are on the verge of retiring or declining into shit players anytime soon.

The average age of your squad is 30!

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
If our midfield looks like:

Rino-Pirlo-Flamini
Kaka

than this is not slow ANY other combination is slow.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
you have to take one year away from those players. Rino is 30, has not had his 31 B day yet, although it is 2009. So most players there you add a year as if they already had their B day in 2009.

Our D is old and needs change.
Our midfield/attack is a combination of experience (Rino, Becks, Ambro, Pirlo), creativity (Pirlo, Dinho) and pace (Kaka, Pato).
Our attack - starting duo is young and fast (Pato-Bori_; back up are old but super experienced.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
you have to take one year away from those players. Rino is 30, has not had his 31 B day yet, although it is 2009. So most players there you add a year as if they already had their B day in 2009.

Our D is old and needs change.
Our midfield/attack is a combination of experience (Rino, Becks, Ambro, Pirlo), creativity (Pirlo, Dinho) and pace (Kaka, Pato).
Our attack - starting duo is young and fast (Pato-Bori_; back up are old but super experienced.
SO Kaka and Pato will have to do all the runing so the others can play the long balls to them!?

In general I think that our starting midfield and attack are very good BUT our problem this season is the defense.

I consider this to be our starting line-up:

Rino-Pirlo-Seedorf/Flamini
Kaka
Pato-Bori

·
Registered
15,586 Posts
I would disagree with you RM on Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Ambrosini and Beckham. Those player still got it IMO.

Yes our starting XI is extremely old, but the squad as a whole isn't. During the latest mercato's we've gotten:

Mattioni (20), Thiago Silva (24), Borriello (26), Ronaldinho (28), that brazilian goalie Filipe (19-20?), Flamini (24), Antonini (27), Cardaccio (21?) Viudez (19-20?), Gourcuff (23?), Senderos (23) and the oldies we've gotten in the same period are Zambrotta (31), Sheva (32), Abbiati (31), Emerson (32) and Beckham (33).

If my memory serves me correctly we've signed those players during the two latest mercato's, so we've begun an rejuvenation process but the problem is that our starting XI hasn't gotten any younger. Or not that much younger anyway.

It seems that the youngsters must be exceptional talents and impress right away to be in a starting XI. Antonini is in great shape now but still Favalli, Jankulovski and Zambrotta (although he was indeed great against Bologna IMO) play instead. Beckham and Ambrosini get to play instead of Flamini who hasn't impressed but has been solid and has potential for a lot more. A 33 year old that hasn't played a competitive game in two months gets to play instead of a promising player that destroyed our midfield in the games against his former team! That's the biggest problem with our team IMO.

And I don't think the midfield is slow really if Emerson is kept away from the team that is. They are no lightnings bolts but Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo, Flamini and Seedorf are often mobile and cover a lot of ground. But of course there are those games where they don't seems to be bothered and then it doesn't help that we have a lot of ball holders in the team as well so we can't play a direct style of football as we would like sometimes.

Did I just kind of agree with bono and disagree with Johan?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
15,586 Posts
:howler: Hajde my Balkan cousin, don't leave me hanging! Vote! :pp

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would disagree with you RM on Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Ambrosini and Beckham. Those player still got it IMO.
The common theme is that everyone you mentioned here was better in the past, with possible exceptions of Gattuso (long term injury now) and Jankulovski.

Yes our starting XI is extremely old, but the squad as a whole isn't. During the latest mercato's we've gotten:
Why count players that don't play?

Mattioni (20), Thiago Silva (24), Borriello (26), Ronaldinho (28), that brazilian goalie Filipe (19-20?), Flamini (24), Antonini (27), Cardaccio (21?) Viudez (19-20?), Gourcuff (23?), Senderos (23) and the oldies we've gotten in the same period are Zambrotta (31), Sheva (32), Abbiati (31), Emerson (32) and Beckham (33).
Groucuff and Senderos won't be with us. Senderos is quite shit too.
Viudez = primavera, 0 minutes.
Silva = not until summer.
Filipe = you have any evidence he even is with us?
Ronaldinho = moves like he is 40.

Antonino on the other hand is the kind of reserve I would want instead of a tired old unmotivated Emerson.

If my memory serves me correctly we've signed those players during the two latest mercato's, so we've begun an rejuvenation process but the problem is that our starting XI hasn't gotten any younger. Or not that much younger anyway.
Qustion was if our squad is old or not. Not what it will be in the future.

It seems that the youngsters must be exceptional talents and impress right away to be in a starting XI. Antonini is in great shape now but still Favalli, Jankulovski and Zambrotta (although he was indeed great against Bologna IMO) play instead. Beckham and Ambrosini get to play instead of Flamini who hasn't impressed but has been solid and has potential for a lot more. A 33 year old that hasn't played a competitive game in two months gets to play instead of a promising player that destroyed our midfield in the games against his former team! That's the biggest problem with our team IMO.
Ancelotti.

And I don't think the midfield is slow really if Emerson is kept away from the team that is. They are no lightnings bolts but Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo, Flamini and Seedorf are often mobile and cover a lot of ground. But of course there are those games where they don't seems to be bothered and then it doesn't help that we have a lot of ball holders in the team as well so we can't play a direct style of football as we would like sometimes.
Pirlo and Ambrosini is painfully slow. Seedorf the same. Gattuso is pacy and Flamini quite pacy.

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the majority of our midfield are slow yes, but it is also offset by an extremely quick player in kaka. we also have pato and a few other players who are generally quite slow.
midfield.
Fast: Kaka, Gattuso
decent fast: Flamini.
Slow: Pirlo, Ambrosini, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Beckham
don't move at all: Emerson

The fastest one haven't been counted as a midfielder for ages though. (on team page)

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
bono is permanently out of touch with reality :moan:
:pp:pp:pp

i take it as a compliment. Mind you - i never said we are OK the way we are and all that. I recognize two things 1) issues Milan has and 2) myths, overstatements and victimization by fans

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
most milan squad are from old players, but i can`t hide my admiration for these big names included.

actually i like the latest signings for the club, ronaldinho, zambrotta and becks more than younger players like Flamini and Senderous.

when maldini retires, i don`t think there will be too much talk about this point.

·
Registered
15,586 Posts
i said i refuse to be manipulated on such biased polls. But just for you my friend, I will vote and support you. :stuckup:
:pp:smileani:

The common theme is that everyone you mentioned here was better in the past, with possible exceptions of Gattuso (long term injury now) and Jankulovski.
It doesn't matter how good they've been if they are good enough now. Well in most of the games anyway. Seedorf still got it in him and has been more good than bad, Gattuso has been outstanding this season, Nesta is an unknown, Jankulovski is as good offensively as always, Beckham has surprised most of us, Zambrotta is still good but yeah Ambrosini is in bad shape and should be benched for Flamini.

Why count players that don't play?

Groucuff and Senderos won't be with us. Senderos is quite shit too.
Viudez = primavera, 0 minutes.
Silva = not until summer.
Filipe = you have any evidence he even is with us?
Ronaldinho = moves like he is 40.

Antonino on the other hand is the kind of reserve I would want instead of a tired old unmotivated Emerson.

Qustion was if our squad is old or not. Not what it will be in the future.
Because a squad is not only the starting XI and the bench. We have 30 players and they all are a part of the squad. My argument was that we've bought more youngsters than oldies lately. It's irrelevant if they play or not, because even though I think that most of them should play a lot more than they do now I can't do anything about Carlo's stubbornes can I? The players are there but he just doesn't use them, it would be an entirely different discussion if we haven't bought any youngsters at all.

Pirlo and Ambrosini is painfully slow. Seedorf the same. Gattuso is pacy and Flamini quite pacy.
Seedorf, Ambrosini and Pirlo are slow yeah but they balance it by being mobile. During one CL game they showed that Pirlo ran almost more than anyone on the pitch I think it was something like 12-13 km?

The thing is that these guys move around a lot and are creative enough (Seedorf and Pirlo) to get past most of the players that they go up against. I still cheer and smile when I see Pirlo using his famous body feint and get past 1-2 players :proud:

And anyway my optimal midfield would this season indeed be

Flamini--Pirlo--Gattuso

pacy, rock solid and creative in one.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts