Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know it's a bit early, but still I wonder what are your prospects on our match! We met in EURO 2000 and it was quite a match, now I expect something similar. I give it to you guys, you are favourites, but you surely know that favourites don't win allways! So I quess it will be a good one again. What do you think?
:cool:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think Spain and Slovenia will be the teams that will qualify for next round; I predict Spain will win, we have better players overall, but we use to fail against 'inferior' teams (Nigeria, Norway) than us, so everything is possible;)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If recent history comes into play, I would pick Slovenia by 1, but since you are talking about Spain here I predict a nice 2-1 again. This could be our most important game of the whole tournie. If we get off on the right track, people will recognize that there wasn't an upset, I just hope we don't get ahead of ourselves and think we've won the whole tournie.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If recent history comes into play, I would pick Slovenia by 1, but since you are talking about Spain here I predict a nice 2-1 again. This could be our most important game of the whole tournie. If we get off on the right track, people will recognize that there wasn't an upset, I just hope we don't get ahead of ourselves and think we've won the whole tournie.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmmm

Slovenia to me seems like a very hard-working group who put team work above the rest. Of course they can cause Spain or any other team trouble if they keep a conservative mind strategy.

I do not wish to be offensive, but Slovenia do not seem to have
a frightening squad. In comparison to other Eastern European teams, Slovenia does not have the best individuals (at least from what I know from Euro 2000 and recent times, perhaps I am wrong this summer) However one must praise their accomplishments, they are in the world cup after defeating Yugoslavia and Romania to arrive there, and it will be a competitive rival I suppose.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes Mallorquin, I agree with you we don't have what you call a frightening team when it comes to players name! But for my money we have a strong team who work and breath togather as one. A great team spirit is I belive one of our stronger sides! One can not rule that aspect out! But we also have quality players that can turn the scale on our side, players like Zahoviè, Aèimoviè,Cimerotiè, Pavlin. In the game defence is our strongest side, and all the teams found it hard to play against our defensive line up. All in all we have a great team that might not be made of super star players, but togather they form a team extremly hard to beat! And I belive it will be so in the WC also!
I have a great respect towards you team, I always did. You certainly are favourites, you have a team full of great players, that play in great clubs. But surely you will addmit that when it comes to big time events like EC or WC your team seems to choak up under pressure. Now I'm not suggesting it will be like that this time arround, but the pressure will be there, on your side, as we really have nothing to lose.
It will be an interesting game I'm sure of it, and the outcome of this game will be very important for the rest of both teams campaign in the WC.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It will be an interesting game I'm sure of it, and the outcome of this game will be very important for the rest of both teams campaign in the WC.

I definately agree with that. Even more so for Spain. They need to win against Slovenia since it is their first game. If they don't all the old ghosts will come back to haunt them and psychologically they will fail again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmmm

Walter/Mendieta: Well, we will see what happens. I agree, a
victory in the first match is extremely important for Spain, or any team, it provides confidence to face the other fixtures without having to depend on any others (which occured in other recent tournaments)

Without a doubt, Slovenia as the other two teams in the group are all competitive rivals for Spain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts