Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is all to do with Slovenia's assault on the WC. Post all articles and related things about Slovenia at the WC in this thread :)

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Well Tommy, you should know better that we don't see ourselves as a EE country, I think neither do you:D , but this is not the matter in this thread.:)
What can I say about our chances, I guess I could say that they are pretty good. Someone might say, WTF is this one talking about, but anyone who knows our team better knows what this is about. We have a strong, homogene, compact, experienced, team of great friends, that want to proove their worth! Maybe we don't have such great stars in the team as do some other teams, but we have something that counts more to me, we have a team, a team that acts as one, breaths togather as one, thea are a great mixture of hard workers, very talented players, young players that want to show improve, plus we have an exceptional coach Sreèko Katanec. All that gives me a great faith in our team for the upcoming WC. But I don't expect something out of this world from our boys, I belive they did that by simply qualifying for the WC!!
I have to go now, but we'll be in touch!;)

·
©
7,230 Posts
All the best to Slovenia. I really hope you can make it through the group because it would be a great achievment for the smallest country in the world cup. Like you said you play like a team and you play with heart. Is Zoran Pavlovic going to play?

Tommy, nice signature.;)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Slovenia will do well.

As Ive mentioned before, they have great stamina, and are a very tight-knit squad that can really surprise.

But you Slovenes, you better not perform better than Croatia! ;)

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Slovenija's will do well for the following reasons:
- They have an excellent defense
- They have a good counterattack
- They have good homogeneity
- They will be underestimated once again, and we all know what that will lead to
- They have Zahovic

Slovenija has the potential to do what Romania and Bulgaria did in the WC 94.
Good Luck.

PS Walter BC, I know we had this discussion before, and I know that you'll get pissed off again but Slovenija IS East European!

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
My predictions for Slovenia this tournament:

Draw with Spain
Win against South Africa
Draw with Paraguay

This means 5 points from their first 3 games. I think they will put in a great fight to the second round. Goal difference will be crucial.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Thank you guys for the kind words of support, it means a lot to me!
dinamo 11, about Pavloviè, I can't really answer you that, but defenetly he won't be a starter to a team, he might get some minutes at the end of any match.
Croguy, now I can't give you any quarantees, but surely you will accept that we will try to do as good as possible, how good it will be, well I really can't tell.
Marius, thanks for your gentelmanly words;) ! And no, I won't get pissed off, as I find this matter insignificant, at the moment atleast!:D

·
International
8,545 Posts
I think Slovenija will advance, they have what it takes to get out of the group in first place even.

Spain, we all know Spain and the great team they usually bring to these tournaments, but we also know Spain as the perennial underachiever and since they're the first opponents for Slovenija, I can see a win in that game.

I also believe Slovenija will defeat South Africa and as such, would then have 6 points going into the last game with Paraguay.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
who will be SLovenia's number 1 goalie for the WC? i'm entering a competition and would like to know who will be between the sticks.

thanx.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
placebo, I belive our #1 goalkeeper will be Marko Simeunoviè, he alwasy produces goods when neede most, so in my eyes he in a clear choice.

If you might get interested in some other positions, why don't I give you what is the most likely to be our starting 11:

----------------Simeunoviè---------------

Milinoviè----------Galiè----------Knavs

Novak-----Aleš Èeh-----Pavlin-----Kariè

-------------------Zahoviè-------------------

------Osterc----------Rudonja-------------

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Damn how slow this time is runing, I mean I just can't wait untill sunday when we will finaly go to action!
Two more days, almost exactly 48 hours, and than rock'n'roll!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well, it should be the best that Austria are not at the WC in their current condition, but it's great to see at least one player from the team I support in the starting squad of a country that qualified.
C'mon Ales Ceh, and I wish Slovenia all the best for the World Cup!

:)

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
And all the best to "our" Zoran Pavlovic, even though he had a somewhat dissapointing season.

Good luck, Slovenija!!:)

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Slovenia was robbed for two penalties, then the ref saw a penalty nobody else saw. They outplayed Spain for most of the match, and should have come off with a point at least, if not all 3.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Too bad for Slovenija, nobody likes to lose but it's much worse when you get robbed!

Like Montenegrina says, all is not lost and you can still advance with wins over South Africa and Paraguay.

Those teams are nothing special and South Africa is quite weak so things still look promising.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I'm dissapointed, but even more I'm mad, pissed off! We were robbed of the two penalties! And yes Spain's penalty never existed! A total damn dissgrace, shame, what else can I say!
I think we didn't play that bad, but it certainly wasn't our best performance, we have lots of reserve! That is what makes me optimistic for the upcoming next games! What I was surprized about was how bad our defence was! I mean it didn't make that many mistakes in all our qualifiers than in this game! But this is also what gives me hope, we simply can't play that bad in defence again! I'm sure Sreèko will know how to give a boost to our guys, how to prepare them for the game against South Africa! We will rise even stronger, and I know our players will do whatever it takes to win! We will be at our best on saturday, and than who knows, if we will have just a little bit of luck that we missed this time, we will do great!
But don't forget it is our first time, we don't have the all important experiences and a big name, so we have to be realistic. We are not yet a world footballing superpower, and we are treated so. We must be realistic in our expectations and not ask for too much, as the mere qualification to the WC was something out of this world! But on the other hand we must have high standards and goals, only that will lead us up to great things. We can not be succesfull if we don't want the most from ourselves. So we are right to hope for good results!
Our players will have to give their 1196% from themselves, they will have to give their maxi, maxi, maxi, maximum of maximums in all our games, even if one player only plays for one minute in only one game it has to be so!! We will have to play responsibly, and patiently, with order and dicipline in our game, with selfconfidence! We will have to play smartly and intellegently, technicaly and tacticaly accomplished, strategicly perfect, we will have to play all for one, and one for all, and als for all or nothinhg if neccessary! We will have to digg, to tear, to play aggresivly, strongly, to fight, to play conccrete, but also correctly to the opponent! But most of all we will have to play with our hearts, our souls and minds, with honour and pride! And if we will have some sports luck to go with it, for wich it is only sporting to hope, and if we will have some luck with the refferes, that they will really be refferes in the true sense of the word, and if all that will mix up in the right proportions for us, than I belive we have what it takes to do a good result! But our first, and only goal is to show good performances and show the world that here in Slovenija we do know to play great football!

--------------------- SLOVENIJA GRE NAPREJ -------------------
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Walter BC said:
I'm dissapointed, but even more I'm mad, pissed off! We were robbed of the two penalties! ... A total damn dissgrace, shame, what else can I say! ...
... And if we will have some sports luck to go with it, for wich it is only sporting to hope, and if we will have some luck with the refferes, that they will really be refferes in the true sense of the word,
First of all, Walter I can feel your pain ... I know exactly what you mean talking about refferees ... and the madness and dissgrace ;) :D :devil:

About your luck: I really think you´ve allready spent your amount of luck last autumn, "sport luck" as well as "luck with refferees" ...;) .

Anyway, look at Brazil-Turkey today ... it´s allways the same ...:mad:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Thomas Schuster said:

First of all, Walter I can feel your pain ... I know exactly what you mean talking about refferees ... and the madness and dissgrace ;) :D :devil:

About your luck: I really think you´ve allready spent your amount of luck last autumn, "sport luck" as well as "luck with refferees" ...;) .

Anyway, look at Brazil-Turkey today ... it´s allways the same ...:mad:
Yep, it's always the small countries that get screwed by the refs.
I thought Slovenia started really well, controlling the midfield and having some nice chances. Nothing was working for Spain until that individual effort by Raul. That is what changed everything.
The Spanish penalty if any contact was made, it was outside the box (just like with Turkey).
However, I am not so sure about the 2 penlties Walter is talking about. They weren't exaclty "clear" penalties.
Anyways still more games to be played...

·
©
7,230 Posts
Slovenia's coach Katanec has apparently resigned over a bust up with Zlatko Zahovic!! It will come in effect after the WC and Zahovic is supposedly on his way home after he didn't like getting subbed in the first game.

Walter, is all of this true? And I am really upset that Pavlovic didn't get on the field?:( :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts