Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so who is this kid?

6 goals in his first Serie A season! for Palermo.

The new Zahovic?

How would you compare him to his teammate Pastore who's being touted as the new Kaka?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Few months ago he was still at Slovenian club Interblock which was relegated to 2nd division at the end of last season. Zahovič (manager of Maribor) brought him to Maribor in 2010 summer transfer window and Iličič played great in EL matches and in Slovenian first division, surprising everyone. He wasn't much known in Slovenia before he came to Maribor and was nowhere near the national team.

He played only like 10 matches or so for Maribor, but already became some sort of a legend there. Here's a video compilation of him in Maribor:

ybYsZ2ptB_k

He and his teammate Bačinovič were then transferred to Palermo for little more than 2 million € after Maribor-Palermo EL match. Both are now worth more than 10 millions. A deal of a decade for Palermo.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
And Maribor, arguably. Only his old club should be kicking themselves.

I didn't get how this worked though, I was under impression there are restrictions on number of clubs a player can play for in a calender year (in order to prevent double transfers in one window, just like this was).

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
No, he was Interblock player at the end of last season, when they get relegated, and then transferred to Maribor in the new season. The old club is not kicking themselves, as they retained high procentage of his transfer value and give him to Maribor practically for free, they split the transfer fee received from Palermo (Interblock could never sold him to Serie A from Slovenian 2nd division).

It's not that he was unknown as nkm said, he was always considered a great talent, just that many thought he would never make it. I never watched him, I despise Interblock, but people who did regularly and who knew him a bit better, said that he has problematic character/personality, that he played games where he was like not playing them. Supposedly he comes from a troubled home (I'm not going into details), and many thought he will fail regardless of talent, as he is more or less a selfmade man. I just hope he has somebody in Palermo to guide him in life (the coach would be ideal), so that he makes it and all the old issues of his childhood/boyhood become really old issues.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
No, he was Interblock player at the end of last season, when they get relegated, and then transferred to Maribor in the new season.
He was transferred two times in one transfer window, as Er Cacini said, and played for 3 clubs in one calendar year. I was also surprised that this is possible.

It's not that he was unknown as nkm said, he was always considered a great talent, just that many thought he would never make it.
He was unknown at top Slovenian level, that is the level of best clubs we have. As far as I remember he wasn't even in Interblock first team at the begining of the season, only after winter break when Interblock sold out basicaly all of its first team (btw back then it was rumoured that Dinamo will sign Iličič, but nothing happened). He was a random talent last year, just like guys like Kris Jogan are now. Obviously he was 'known' to people who follow Slovenian league closely, but not to wider public.

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering, I take it that Palermo played with their 2nd XI in the Europa League. Otherwise it would be strange to see them already knocked out of that tournament.

Guess I'll have to catch a Palermo vs Inter or AC Milan game to have an opportunity to see him live this season.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Ilicic was ineligable as was Bacinovic. Both played for Maribor in EL. He still has to learn but definitely a top talent.

·
Registered
216 Posts
so without the el palermo wouldnt even know who ilicic and bacinovic are? who are now key players for them

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You mean that they wouldn't know them had they not play against them in EL? Well, Zahovič (Maribor manager) said that Palermo were interested in those 2 before the EL game if I remember correctly. Another club interested was Milan, but Zahovič accepted Palermo.

·
Registered
68,834 Posts
a little OT, but what ever happened to Rene Mihelic? He supposed to be a big talent. I remember him scoring against Villarreal when Maribor eliminated them

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
He is in Nacional in Portugal. I think he plays quite often. It's his first season there.

Anyway, he always seemed a bit overrated to me.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
To answer the question a few posts above, Palermo's then-general manager Sabatini knew Ilicic before the game and had begun talking to Maribor two weeks before their first encounter. I guess his performance against them convinced the coach, though, who started him right away.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Andelkovic already signed I think... no idea how he is, but he must be better then Glik and Goian in current form.

Jasmin Kurtic is still uncertien although it looks likely.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Honestly, I've never seen Jasmin play (or I don't remember seeing him play)... Anđelkovič was solid in Maribor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts