Xtratime Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I picked up the newest issue of World Soccer magazine and one thing stood out as I read it. I was reading each World Cup Coach interview and then I got up to Slovenia. Slovenia NT coach Katanec was asked " Who Will Be The Surprises ? " . Katanec answered - " I don't believe there'll be any. Many predict Portugal might be, but I doubt it. They're not a well - balanced team. They have six or seven great players but they have weak defenders. "

Hey I'm not saying that our defense is the best, because its not. We have improved much on our defense. Where I'm trying to get is that why is this coming from Slovenia? This was basically a cheap shot taken by Katanec.

Concentrate on your own team, instead of taking a cheap shot on one of the favourites in the World Cup.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Well about half of Portugal's NT comes from their domestic league which is not known for being in Euro championships very much.

So I understand where he's coming from. Portugal is NOT KNOWN for great defenders.

But then again, Portuguese defenders had the best record in all of Euro 2000. Jorge Costa and Fernando Couto can really step it up a notch on the international stage. Throw a young speedy and strong offensive defender in Jorge Andrade and maybe an experience Rui Jorge and you have a decent unit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
who cares what others think....Portugal will do their talking on field starting with the US on June 5th....it's true our defense is not the wall of Nesta Cannavaro and Maldini, but our back line is not swiss cheese...as a unit Portugal is good enough to surprise everyone...let them all talk....

Forca Portugal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, when they were drawing the groups, when the US team heard that they had Portugal in the same group, they said "Oh damn! Not Portugal." :eek: Do you really think anyone's saying that about his pitiful team? Like the other guy said...Worry about getting your team past the first round, keep your comments to yourself, and kiss our collective portuguese :ass: :ass: :ass:
And if you want to talk about a conflict of interests? I'm a US citizen, from Portuguese descent, with a Polish girlfriend! This is going to give me a headache! :wallbang:
Either way, like Eusébio said, this team should do better than his team of 1966 that ended up in 3rd place after getting seriously robbed in the semis by England! :mad:

Força Portugal!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
What else did this Slovenian coach say??? He nailed it! Actually Portugal played without defence for the most part of the match!

Sad performance and Portugal has so far been the most disappointing team at the WC. (not counting Saudi as no one expected anything from them!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
SLOVENIA COACH HAS SOME PROBLEMS WITH ZAHOVIC

It seems like the frustration of being a benfica player has come to Zaho's head and the question is : will he leave the team or will Katanec leave, or both will, or none will?

from fifaworldcup

TAEGU, South Korea (Reuters) - Slovenia coach Srecko Katanec will stand down at the end of the World Cup after a bust-up with his side's highest-profile player, he said at a tearful news conference on Wednesday.

Slovenia lost their opening group B game 3-1 against Spain, a match in which forward Zlatko Zahovic was substituted in the second half to his obvious disgust. The result left Slovenia bottom of group B behind South Africa and Paraguay who drew 2-2.

Zahovic was furious after being substituted by Katanec and screamed abuse at him after the Spanish defeat, according to sources close to the team.

"I'm not used to this sort of communication. I was shocked when Zahovic attacked me," said 38-year-old Katanec who broke down in tears and walked out of a news conference.

"These are my last three or four games with Slovenia, it depends how far we go," Katanec had told reporters. Slovenia next play South Africa on Saturday.

Later, he said that Zahovic would remain in the team -- in contrast to a similar clash between the playmaker and coach in the Ireland team which led to skipper Roy Keane being sent home before the start of the finals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It happened to France, it happened to Portugal. It happens! It just made their road a little more difficult. Poland has a good team as well and they were harassed by the hosts. Well, Poland gets to play Portugal on June 10th (Portugal Day). I wonder who's going to have the upper hand? Will Portugal defend its honor on its own day or will they take the day off like the rest of the country?:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts